Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
With modern coins, the crossovers from PCGS to NGC are almost impossible. Here crack and submit is your best option especially with 68-69 coins.  I even do a few 70s of newer date. 

Vintage many factors come into play and you really have to know your stuff to crack and submit.  Damaging the coin during craking is low risk if you know how to do it and have done 1000s of coins.  The real risk is a downgrade or questionable authenticity.

In general, as a collector, I would not recommend cracking and submitting, because your volume is too low to balance the risk, but when you do 100s of coins then a few negative scenarios are easily offset by many positive scenarios. 

Then you run the risk of

1. Damaging the coin in process of removing coin from holder

2.  Returning with details grade.

3. Or worse case (Body bag) returning as questionable authenticity.

If you purchased the coin in today’s market you might want to rethink this strategy. As I have seen and heard all these scenarios when crossing over. And I know of dealers that have then tried resubmitting once again to NGC to get numerical grade to no longer achieve original given grade.

Probably that's the difference btw vintage coins and modern coins, modern coins like the panda, no much problem with cracking the coin out of the slab and resubmitting. For vintage coins, those issues you mentioned do exist.

But sometimes you don't know what came next, a friend of mine picked up a coin at a much lower price a few years ago, wasn't succeed to have it slabbed at PCGS, and then it stayed in his safe for a few years, and recently he successfully have it slabbed by PCGS. If that piece was slabbed a few years ago, it might be gone way earlier before getting to such market height.

so that suggest the procedure will be:
1. crack the coin from the slab
2. submit as raw coins.

In mainland China, PCGS is reluctant to cross over coins in intact NGC slab, even if you'll accept an AU50 for NGC AU53 one for example, as I was told. According to the game rule, PCGS can view it and be unhappy to crossover and charge the same fee.

Then you run the risk of

1. Damaging the coin in process of removing coin from holder

2.  Returning with details grade.

3. Or worse case (Body bag) returning as questionable authenticity.

If you purchased the coin in today’s market you might want to rethink this strategy. As I have seen and heard all these scenarios when crossing over. And I know of dealers that have then tried resubmitting once again to NGC to get numerical grade to no longer achieve original given grade.
Buy the coin, not the label.  Labels come and go at least for modern coins. My RIP labels since covid started, 82% of the coins came back with the same grade, 4% downgraded and 14% upgraded. For modern I submit 100% to NGC, for vintage I submit 100% to PCGS.  There are some collectors that collect both modern and vintage and surprisingly they tend to be all NGC or all PCGS, they are loyal to one grading company. The discount for inferior label is 5-15% unless it is very special coin with very low top pop.

so that suggest the procedure will be:
1. crack the coin from the slab
2. submit as raw coins.

In mainland China, PCGS is reluctant to cross over coins in intact NGC slab, even if you'll accept an AU50 for NGC AU53 one for example, as I was told. According to the game rule, PCGS can view it and be unhappy to crossover and charge the same fee.
Nice toning wasn't a factor until recently.  Now nice color toning is a big plus.

I bought a few collections and now starting to sell.
Toning is quite an important factor as well. Vintage coin is not just priced by the grade, like MCC.
Buy, Sell & Trade / Re: Buying 1983 China Silver Panda MS69
« Last post by pandamonium on May 11, 2021, 05:22:37 PM »
This one just sold on ebay....
General Discussion / Re: Pandaamerica and Alex Shagin
« Last post by pandamonium on May 11, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
I am a fan of Pandaamerica pandagrams now and consider them collectible...   

What is this 5 g. silver?    This is not pandaamerica is it?   Big price too....
Buy, Sell & Trade / Re: Selling Chinese Coins
« Last post by pandaguy212 on May 11, 2021, 12:57:58 PM »
this post is now closed. thank you
Vintage Chinese coin market one of the greatest coin markets ever??    I believe you.    Years ago I noticed high price of silver dollars but low price of 50C, 20C, 10C & 5C.   Have over 2 dozen that need graded but cannot afford to rejoin NGC & grade yet.   Got them for very, very cheap.   A pair of 1890-1908 20C & 10C Kwangtung silver dragons that look like new.   Asked seller in Canada many times and he said genuine so got them for about $100 both, my most expensive raw Vintage.    What i see on ebay is these smalls in low grades are getting good prices too.   Trickle down from silver dollars...

In time MCC will go nuts too.....   

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10