Main > Identification Help

"96 China - 9th Asian International Philately Exhibition" ot is it not?

(1/1)

anaiman:
There is a coin up on the eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/China-1996-Silver-10-Yuan-9th-Philately-Exhibition_W0QQitemZ190355269637QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c520ee805) that claims to be a silver coin commemorating the Philately Exhibition in 1996 as attested by the attached CoA.  But it seems that this is not a coin commemorating the Exhibition but rather a coin commemorating the Centenary of China Post.  The CoA seems to be for a different coin as it says on the CoA that there is "96 China - 9th Asian International Philately Exhibition" in English on the coin itself, but the picture of the coin does not show those words anywhere on the coin.

I realize that I have an identical coin with a similar CoA, making me wondering whether I myself might have been duped too and might even be a owner of a fake coin (or a real coin with a CoA and box for a different coin).

I have not seen a picture of the "dragon stamp" coin commemorating the Exhibition or a picture of the silver coin commemorating the Centenary of the China Post.  Perhaps someone could post pictures of both here.

hc286:
Well, the COA says the coin features a Qing stamp with a dragon and the coin has the design. Both are dated 1996.

Also the Chinese probably says the "96 China - 9th Asian International Philately Exhibition" because I can read 96年中國~?九?亞洲???????? (which I translate to "96th year China~?9th?Asian????????") is probably on the coin itself. The seller has bad quality pictures. The "?" are the characters I do not understand yet since I am still learning.

After researching, the China Post was founded in 1896 during the Qing dynasty.

anaiman:
I think you might be right about the coin which brings me to another question.  China-mint.info mentions a silver coin and a gold coin commemorating the Centenary of China Post in 1996 apart from the two silver coins for the 9th Asia International Philately Exhibition.  Is there a picture of the silver one?

hc286:
I also checked the site earlier, but I don't see any. I haven't looked it up on google yet...

poconopenn:
The listing is correct and coin is genuine. The coin in commemorating the Centennial of China Post is identical to the 9th Asian International Philately Exhibition, but without the added words (9th Asian International Philately Exhibition in Chinese at the up-right of the obverse). The planned mintage for Asian International Philately Exhibition is 20,000 and for Centennial of China Post is 30,000.

Actually, the listed coin is one of the coin in the 2-coin set, commemorating the 9th Asian International Philately Exhibition. The other coin is 1996 panda with added words on the reverse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version