Main > Identification Help

Year of the Dragon Prestige Edition Limit 200 sets?

(1/9) > >>

Birdman:
Hello,

I have been trying to find more information about a set that I have recently purchased.  I have learned that the 1/2 oz gold dragon flower coin and the 5 oz silver dragon rectangle coin are desirable, individually, but I have not been able to find anything about the "Prestige Edition" combination and the third component, the colorized silver "medal," if that is the right term.  My Chinese friend tells me the script on the box means "Peace."  Do the coins appear authentic?  Who produced the "Prestige Edition" set, the China Mint?  I was considering putting this set up for auction.  Should I send the coins out individually for grading, or would it attract a higher price if I kept them together, unslabbed in the presentation box?  Would a grading company grade the colorized "medal?"  Is the "medal" worth anything more than the silver value?  Regarding condition, the 1/2 oz coin appears to have a small mark between the 5th and 6th characters on the side with the date, perhaps made as someone at the coin shop took the coin out of the capsule to weight it, or perhaps it is a striking imperfection?  If there is a risk of prior handling, should I send the coin to NCS to remove any trace oils?  The 5 oz silver dragon appears to be pristine, perhaps never removed from its capsule.  The hinges on the box are starting to come undone.  Thanks for any information you can provide me on this set mystery.  I appreciate for your patience with all of my questions.  

badon:
I'm not familiar with this set. The medal does not look like something typical of an official mint product though. You can find large, detailed photos of two genuine high-grade gold dragons in this post:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=866.0

Without a better photo of the mark on your gold dragon coin, I can't tell you for sure what kind of mark it is. Some types of marks do NOT count against the grade, if they were created during the striking process. I see what looks like a few other marks, but I can't tell if they're on the coin or the capsule.

I wouldn't hesitate to send the two coins in for conservation at NCS and subsequent grading at NGC. The premiums for high-grade, authenticated and graded coins is growing larger as the the quality and authenticity of ungraded coins becomes more and more suspicious.

A brief look-over on your gold coin did not raise any red-flags with me. I believe it is probably genuine. I'm not familiar with the silver coin though. You can look at some other photos to compare, or you can just send them off to NCS for conservation and grading, to settle the question.

Your coins will probably sell for more money graded, than raw in a set.

Those are very nice by the way. Beautiful coins. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Birdman:
Thanks for your quick and helpful comments, Badon.  Regarding the 5 oz silver rectangle coin, it seems to be an exact match to an image of a real one that I found online www.sunfeico.com/2000_5oz_dragon.htm  We'll see if anyone else in this forum can provide any history for this Prestige Edition 2 coin/1 medal combination.  I did a thorough Google and Bing search, but came up empty handed.  Perhaps there isn't any added value to the combo.  At the moment, I am leaning towards breaking up the set, slabbing the coins (but not the medal?), and auctioning them off individually.

Birdman:
Interesting, Coinex has listed on ebay the exact commemorative medal from this Year of the Dragon set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220747534355&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D220747534355%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

We'll soon see whether there is any market value for the medal above bullion.

bonke:
Recently, I have seen a rectangular 5oz silver dragon with filed rims (on the top and bottom) (on both sides of the coin).  Are the rims on your coin filed?  The rounded rims are obvious with tne necked eye and very obvious under magnification.  I own many rectangular 5oz silver coins from different years and none of my rims are filed (and several have wire rims).  Is this a problem limted to the rectangular coin I saw or is it a problem with most rectangular dragon coins?  Just a thought.  Look at the rims before you send it to NGC for grading. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version