Author Topic: New Collector  (Read 457 times)

Offline Boomtree

• Trade Count: (0)
New Collector
« on: April 07, 2021, 01:05:47 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to collecting Chinese coins. I have collected US coins since I was a kid, and I specialize in Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents. I have even written a book on die varieties.

My wife is from Dalian, Liaoning, China. Her dad is a casual collector and had a small collection of various coins that he gave us the last time we were in Dalian. I look forward to posting them here on the forum, as I am sure I will have some questions. Unfortunately, they are at the bank deposit box in Oklahoma and we are now in Pasadena, CA. They are mostly silver, but a little bit of gold.

I think the designs of the Chinese moderns are just fantastic. The modern US coin market is largely a joke and the coins can be had at a fraction of the issue price if one just waits a year or two after issue. I have Peter Anthony's book on Pandas and also David Hartill's book on ancients.

Thanks for allowing me to join, and I look forward to learning from others!

Russ

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: New Collector
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 05:29:12 AM »
 N66

welcome

btw.

.. The modern US coin market is largely a joke and the coins can be had at a fraction of the issue price if one just waits a year or two after issue ..

somehow this sounds familiar.
the modern chinese coin market ( 2008 and later) is largely a joke and the coins can be had at a fraction of the issue price if one just waits a year or two after issue .

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
Welcome to the club.

Offline Boomtree

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 03:33:28 PM »
somehow this sounds familiar.
the modern chinese coin market ( 2008 and later) is largely a joke and the coins can be had at a fraction of the issue price if one just waits a year or two after issue .

Great, thanks. That answers the question I posted in the other forum.

Offline Unsustainable

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:28:00 AM »
Welcome to the Forum.

Like many, I collected US coins casually as a kid in the late 60's to 80's. Worked on a few folders. Grandparents gave me 1 coin...a 1928 Peace Dollar...commemorating the year a young uncle died and introducing me to the term "key date".

I became the "Accidental Panda Collector" with selective purchases but the entire field is quite fun and hugely educational both numismatic and cultural. I've expanded what I've learned here back to US coinage concentrating on key dates, low mintage proof issues both early issues and modern releases.

Welcome and have fun.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
Welcome, Russ.  N40

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 05:02:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to collecting Chinese coins. I have collected US coins since I was a kid, and I specialize in Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents. I have even written a book on die varieties.

My wife is from Dalian, Liaoning, China. Her dad is a casual collector and had a small collection of various coins that he gave us the last time we were in Dalian. I look forward to posting them here on the forum, as I am sure I will have some questions. Unfortunately, they are at the bank deposit box in Oklahoma and we are now in Pasadena, CA. They are mostly silver, but a little bit of gold.

I think the designs of the Chinese moderns are just fantastic. The modern US coin market is largely a joke and the coins can be had at a fraction of the issue price if one just waits a year or two after issue. I have Peter Anthony's book on Pandas and also David Hartill's book on ancients.

Thanks for allowing me to join, and I look forward to learning from others!

Russ

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Southern California, too. When the Long Beach Coin Show gets going again you should come take a look.

I have very nice memories of Dalian, a beautiful coastal city with lots to see and do, including eating amazing seafood. At one time the Shenyang Mint had a branch office and retail store in the city, but I believe it is now closed.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and` More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide
Home of the Valentine Panda
PCGS Consultant
www.pandacollector.com