Author Topic: About Rarity (chinese stamps)- could this happen to a chinese coin?  (Read 3286 times)

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+14)
Hi,

Since my interest is not only on chinese coins - I found a nice price development with a chinese stamp. No, I don t collect them, since there is no grading company for stamps and paper is much more difficult to conserve.

Here is the stamp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1980-Zodiac-Monkey-year-authentic-stamp-T46-unmounted-/131103142886

And here is the story (copies/mintage 5 Mio. stamps ?????):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Golden_Monkey_stamp

What is your opinion?

Price versus numbers of copies compared to MCC?
and

are stamps more looked for than MCC?

What is a golden lunar year?

Regards
Sasushi

Offline AllSong

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: About Rarity (chinese stamps)- could this happen to a chinese coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »
I don´t have many thoughts on stamps, but ancient Chinese scholars believed that our universe consists of five basic elements,

which are Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth (Soil). So every cycle a new element is added to the sign (inthis case monkey).
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
I believe it is the first year of zodiac stamp for PRC.  There were horse stamps (Scott 1389-1398) for 1978, year of horse, but I don't believe they are considered as zodiac stamps.  Taiwan's first zodiac stamp is the rooster (Scott 1588-1589) and it also has significantly higher price than the rest.  I collected Chinese stamps and I was born in the year of monkey and you'll think I'll have a block of the 1980 monkey.  Nope, and I looked for it even back in 1982.

Offline cloudtoground

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
I believe it is the first year of zodiac stamp for PRC.  There were horse stamps (Scott 1389-1398) for 1978, year of horse, but I don't believe they are considered as zodiac stamps.  Taiwan's first zodiac stamp is the rooster (Scott 1588-1589) and it also has significantly higher price than the rest.  I collected Chinese stamps and I was born in the year of monkey and you'll think I'll have a block of the 1980 monkey.  Nope, and I looked for it even back in 1982.

I started collecting Chinese stamps last year just because some of the designs are pretty. Since the Monkey stamp was the start of the Zodiac stamps may be they goofed on the amount produced.  Slight possibility government or someone is hoarding it perhaps.  We need a Chinese stamp forum.  Thanks for posting the interesting article.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »
CCF does have a sister forum devoted to Chinese stamps.  http://www.china-stamps.com

Sadly it is not very active.

Offline cloudtoground

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
CCF does have a sister forum devoted to Chinese stamps.  http://www.china-stamps.com

Sadly it is not very active.
That is a shame, may be they could make it part of this forum.  Thanks for the info

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:20:41 AM »
The remarkable thing is that stamp collecting is quite popular and widespread in China.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline cloudtoground

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 02:56:30 AM »
The remarkable thing is that stamp collecting is quite popular and widespread in China.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

I had a small collection of US stamps and First Day Covers that was really only nostaligia collecting for me, not really considering it an investment.  A female Chinese coworker showed me her stamps once day and now I've been buying them.  The prices have been coming down a little and you never know what the next big thing coming out of China will be.  She was telling me Jade was on fire during the past few years.  If I only knew that 10 years ago.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »
The Chinese are still absoultely CRAZY about jade! It is NOT rare at all. You find it everywhere in China is mass quantities -- both real and fake. You can't give the stuff away in USA. The Chinese seem to be a "jump on the bandwagon" type of people. Hype, hype, hype!!!  It's the same with remodeling their villas. Once one starts, others follow, and the place becomes one aweful construction zone. Let's hope the same bodes for MCC!