Author Topic: PCGS handing out a lot of 70 grades?  (Read 14649 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: PCGS handing out a lot of 70 grades?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
Just follow the rules for submission at the NGCcoin.com website.  Use 2 1/2 x 21/2 non pvc flips for smaller items and 4 x 4 (or larger) non pvc flips for larger items.  Many original hard capsules permit the coin or medal to move around, causing rub spots/wear.  If the design projects beyond the height of the rim, this permits the high point to rub on the hard capsule (and this is a problem).  Still, if the design does not project beyond the height of the rim and if the coin or medal does not move around in the hard capsule, send it to ngc or ncs in the hard capsule.  Without doubt, pad the items well to avoid movement within the box and use double boxes to avoid impact damage during shipment.  Registered USPS mail is the safe way to ship (although it is very slow).

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »
Just follow the rules for submission at the NGCcoin.com website.  Use 2 1/2 x 21/2 non pvc flips for smaller items and 4 x 4 (or larger) non pvc flips for larger items.  Many original hard capsules permit the coin or medal to move around, causing rub spots/wear.  If the design projects beyond the height of the rim, this permits the high point to rub on the hard capsule (and this is a problem).  Still, if the design does not project beyond the height of the rim and if the coin or medal does not move around in the hard capsule, send it to ngc or ncs in the hard capsule.  Without doubt, pad the items well to avoid movement within the box and use double boxes to avoid impact damage during shipment.  Registered USPS mail is the safe way to ship (although it is very slow).

Mark Bonke

+1

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2018, 11:30:42 AM »
I have always submitted small gold coins in flips to prevent rattling around in capsules that are not perfect fits for my coins. I would suggest you do the same.

Offline applenj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
Excellent.  You guys are awesome.  Thanks so much!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
Most pre-2012 graded coin will receive a higher grade, especially for 67 and 68, if you are re-grading  those coins now, since both NGC and PCGS have lower their grading standard after 2012. It is a well-known fact inside China that pre-2012 graded coin can fetch 10-20% premium over recently graded coin.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Offline applenj

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Thanks, pocono.  That's great information!

Offline applenj

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
OK, so now that my fiber optic line is repaired and internet is restored, here's another question @poconopenn (or anyone):

When you go to the PCGS site and enter the verification code, it pulls up a current value.  Is that already factoring in the looser grading standard for that individual coin, graded in 2011?  Or is that based on an MS-68 grade in general.  Any idea?

Offline Jens

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
When you go to the PCGS site and enter the verification code, it pulls up a current value.  Is that already factoring in the looser grading standard for that individual coin, graded in 2011?  Or is that based on an MS-68 grade in general.  Any idea?
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't admit to loosening the grading standards so they'll be even less likely to factor in any reduced value.
Imho it is generally a better idea to to use ebay, pricepedia or chinesecoinslive to look up market prices.

Offline applenj

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
Makes sense.  Thanks.  eBay I know.  The others are new to me.  Thanks for that!