Author Topic: Ebay sellers´sales method?  (Read 13930 times)

Offline AllSong

• Trade Count: (+1)
Ebay sellers´sales method?
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have bought 6 different Panda coins, all MS69, from a dealer on ebay within the last 30 days. First 3 were as I hoped: Tip top! In the second batch, one of the 3 had a milk spot. Not major but visible without magnifying glass. 

The seller writes in the listing that "You might receive a different Cert Number than shown as we have more than one in stock which has been Certified Slabbed and Graded by PCGS as MS69". So of course, the picture in the listing is not the coin I will receive. I contacted the seller, wanting to hear if I could get one without the spot. The answer was "...the coin was taken from stock and is quite normal as over time Pandas get white spots or toning and we only mention when there are quite a few and are very visible."

My question is: should I accept it eventhough there is this spot? Or is it bad sales method and send back the coin and not buy from there again? Did I ask for it, by buying without seeing the actual coin?
Let me know what you think about it. It might help me get over my minor frustration  :biggrin:
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Ebay sellers´sales method?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
You should return the coin.  A coin that develops a milk spot after grading is no longer a 69 grade.  The value of your coin is less than you paid for it.

Offline AllSong

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
You should return the coin.  A coin that develops a milk spot after grading is no longer a 69 grade.  The value of your coin is less than you paid for it.

Thanks for your reply Chris.

I know it wouldn´t get the same grade today. Just feel stupid having to pay so much shipping fee... and I´m actually on the look out on some of his upcoming auctions,but not sure I dare risk it anymore.
I just wish I could trust getting what I pay for, but if seller is too lazy taking pictures for each coin, I guess it´s my own fault when  I take the shot...

Modify: Any idea how low a grade 1 small (yet visible with the eye) milk spot would lead to from a 69? 65 or even lower???
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »
I would open a complaint against the seller for not disclosing that the coin he sold you had problems. Then, I would politely inform him that if he wants your continued business, that he should eat the shipping fees. It might not work, but you have very little to lose at this point. If the dealer is honest, he will at least consider it if you can convince him losing your business would be bad for HIS business.

Offline AllSong

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
I would open a complaint against the seller for not disclosing that the coin he sold you had problems. Then, I would politely inform him that if he wants your continued business, that he should eat the shipping fees. It might not work, but you have very little to lose at this point. If the dealer is honest, he will at least consider it if you can convince him losing your business would be bad for HIS business.
He might just see me as a small fish (10 000 + sales)... but at least I will show, that I don´t stand by, watching my money being wasted. You have both helped me and given me courage to go for it haha Thanks guys!
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline bekiz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
return the coin
leave negative feedback
everything is there for you

P.S. small fish - leave negative feedback for all coins you bought from him

Offline AllSong

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
A little too harsh to leave negative feedback for all the coins, no? Or do you mean, if I leave negative feedback on the last 3 coins, it might still affect him/his business?
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline bekiz

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
A little too harsh to leave negative feedback for all the coins, no? Or do you mean, if I leave negative feedback on the last 3 coins, it might still affect him/his business?
potential buyers would know that when the guy says "you will receive similar coin" one might get coin with milk spots
this kind of attitude must be punished

if he doesn't pay for return shipping leave negative feedback for sure. This is totally his fault.

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
I bought a pcgs ms70 2010sy5 off amazon and the coin was loaded with milk spots, is it possible that they all developed while slabbed? He exchanged it for me
I'd send the coin back thats bs when they don't use actual pics of the coins of take shitty pics hoping ppl won't notice imperfections
eBay needs to put some rules in place
Can you even leave neg feedback anymore? They deff made it more difficult, I'm guessing you gotta open a claim and all that bs to leave neg feedback

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »
1) IMO, you must give the seller a chance to make the right choice and avoid escalation. You may threaten him with appropriate courses of action like leaving neg feedback, opening a case, openly discussion your unhappiness on this MCC forum, etc in order to help get what you want.

2) Maybe you should post the name of the eBay seller here to protect us from possible poor transactions from this same seller. I, for one, know I would not want to deal with this eBay member after reading your comments.

Offline AllSong

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
1) IMO, you must give the seller a chance to make the right choice and avoid escalation. You may threaten him with appropriate courses of action like leaving neg feedback, opening a case, openly discussion your unhappiness on this MCC forum, etc in order to help get what you want.

2) Maybe you should post the name of the eBay seller here to protect us from possible poor transactions from this same seller. I, for one, know I would not want to deal with this eBay member after reading your comments.

I am digesting the tips you guys gave me and want to formulate a good answer, so he hopefully agrees on my termes. It is fortunately not too late for me to leave negative feedback.

I don´t like hanging out sellers without being sure they deserve it, but the more I think of it, he might just be one of those... his terms for returns are really not cool at will cost me $, so it´s really not worth it for me. Will however get back here as soon as I hear what he replys. Crossing fingers
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
I agree with what's been said. Return the coin and ask for a refund for the return shipping fees.

"Pandas get white spots or toning and we only mention when there are quite a few and are very visible."

Sellers should provide clear photos of the actual coins they sell and let the buyer decide what in his eyes is acceptable. To me, stock photos are unacceptable. I understand your frustration, AllSong.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »
AllSong, so you passed the hazing initiation rituals.  Now you are truly part of the MCC club  :lol:

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
tough crowd:)   i would certainly give the seller an opportunity to fix it ,most seller,s do in my experience ..... before you crucify him:)

Offline AllSong

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:53:38 AM »
Hmm, I don´t think I´ll be very happy with his/their way of fixing it  N24

Hi

I'm afraid the coin is certified slabbed and Graded by PCGS as MS69 which is what it has been graded as we do not grade coins as this is left up to the grading company that has certified the coin.
As already mentioned eventhough it clearly says in all our descriptions we do not accept returns for PCGS or NGC coins as the grading companies guarantee the coins themselves and we do not accept returns for Auction items we have said that if your unhappy with the coin feel free to return the coin as an act of good faith but I'm afraid we do not cover rerurn shipping also as mentioned in the description as we have sent an PCGS MS69 which is what you have received.
If helps the only other option we can offer is next time you purchase something from us we are willing to give a credit for £5 as an act of good faith but be aware spotting is a common problem with graded silver coins.
Obviously we are sorry you are unhappy and are doing our best to try and resolve the situation and feel free to let us know what you prefer.

With best wishes

That is only 1/3 of his shipping cost and his terms and explanation is a bunch of  N36
"Boards don´t hit back!"