Author Topic: NCS Announces Changes to 2014 Conservation Services  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Dr650rob

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NCS Announces Changes to 2014 Conservation Services
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
I'm shipping my pack tomorrow it will be there on the 15th, I'll call tomorrow, and if they try to pull anything, there gonna get an earful, I didn't get any info about the change, no emails, I don't see it on ncs homepage, and I'm gonna let them know that this change really affects us new collectors and people that can't afford $300+ coins its bs

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
I'm shipping my pack tomorrow it will be there on the 15th, I'll call tomorrow, and if they try to pull anything, there gonna get an earful, I didn't get any info about the change, no emails, I don't see it on ncs homepage, and I'm gonna let them know that this change really affects us new collectors and people that can't afford $300+ coins its bs

Agreed on how it effects new collectors ,I never did get the concept of the wildly high fees to conserve a coin over $300 and the whole percentage fee structure for conservation ,does it cost any more or less to conserve a $250 or a $5000 coin?  assuming NCS gives both coins the same care ,wouldn't the materials used and labor be relatively the same??  if anyone senses a bit of sarcasm they are most probably right........ being essentially the only game in town helps I guess.

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »
Ncs said the new pricing won't really come into affect until February, so they don't get overwhelmed, so as long as it's shipped before 15th you should be good

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
i have a funny feeling NCS will be getting a lot of parcel the beginning of next week.

Yes, indeed. 

FYI...NCS received my package during the first week of January.  As of today (2/7), my coins are still sitting at NCS, "waiting for evaluation."  I called to inquire and the NCS customer service rep said, "We received a large number of submissions at the beginning of January.  We should be able to get to yours next week." 

So if your submission to NCS is taking longer than normal, don't worry and no need to phone them, you are not alone.

I guess a lot of people sent their coins in at the same time in order to get conservation done before the new rates went into effect.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
I sent in a sheet of 1997 1/10oz Auspicious Matters and it arrived at NCS on 1/15.  They have just finished grading and shipping them back.  I am surprised at the grade.  I know these coins were good, but didn't expect that many 70's.   :001_tt1:

Offline digbird

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
60% = ms70's. Nice going indeed. You must be happy with that, even with the ms69's.

Getting coins conserved and graded is still the best way for added value. cheers 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »
I sent in a sheet of 1997 1/10oz Auspicious Matters and it arrived at NCS on 1/15.  They have just finished grading and shipping them back.  I am surprised at the grade.  I know these coins were good, but didn't expect that many 70's.   :001_tt1:

great, now the prices will go down even more :/

Lol, just kidding. Congrats, that's an excellent outcome!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
I can report anecdotal data on PCGS to NGC crossovers through NCS.

I had 20 PCGS gold pandas of different sizes and dates.  Most of them had hazing or copper spots, such that they didn't meet the high standards of the coins I sell to people.  For that reason, and the fact that I prefer NGC, I sent them all for NGC crossover, asking them to send them through NCS if they stood a good chance of getting the same grade.  Upon evaluation, NGC called and said that the hazing was so heavy on many of them that they couldn't see the underlying coin surface well enough to make an assessment on whether they would crossover.  They asked me if I would still like to go forward, given that they could make no guarantees.  Fair enough, I appreciate the call before they lock me in for any service.  Since the coins had the hazing or copper spotting, and I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them as is, and the surface would likely degrade over time if I didn't remove the PVC film, I told them to go ahead, I'll take the gamble, let's send them through NCS and see what NGC grades they get after conservation. 

Part of the reason I made that decision is that I know from the person I bought many of them from that they were graded at PCGS over a year ago, at a time that I was comfortable with PCGS standards, and I suspect that most of the hazing developed after grading (because otherwise, I don't think they could have gotten the high grades that they did).

Here are stats:

I sent in 18 PCGS MS69 and 2 PCGS MS68.

17 PCGS MS69 also earned NGC MS69
1  PCGS MS68 also earned NGC MS68
1 PCGS MS68 earned NGC MS69
1 PCGS MS69 earned NGC MS68.

Part of me was hoping I might sneak a MS70 or two after conservation, but another part of me was worried that the coins wouldn't conserve well and I would have some MS67s with slightly degraded surfaces.  Thus, I'll take it.  I also now feel better about the coins sitting in my safety deposit box for an extended time period, now that I've removed any PVC film from their surface.