Author Topic: Video on NCS conservation services  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Video on NCS conservation services
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
An interesting video on NCS conservation services with many before and after images, including some Chinese coins.

http://youtu.be/Zfa0HT3kYns

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Video on NCS conservation services
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
So why can't the guy popping the coin into the holder wear a glove.  This explain why my coins coming back with fingerprints  :cursing:

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
PandaOrLunar,
I couldn't agree more. I get so depressed when this continues to be an issue and videos like this one seem to indicate nothing is beinng done about quality control and enforcing strict processes at NCS.

Also, on another forum I have been reading about Chinese bloggers who have been pointing out fakes that NGC has apparently been certifying, such as several of the 1981 Lu Xun coins graded by NGC and for sale on ebay now.
The grading companies need to instill confidence in us.
-David

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
So why can't the guy popping the coin into the holder wear a glove.  This explain why my coins coming back with fingerprints  :cursing:

How true, how true! Also, take note of the man with the blue gloves removing a coin from a flip while not over a padded table (to protect the coin in case the coin would slip out of his fingers), but over his legs so that if the coin slips out of his fingers, it will land on the floor and possibly receive a rim-bump. Very reassuring, huh???

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »
These guys at NCS/NGC have handled 1,000’s and 1,000’s of coins … the law of averages would conclude that they have dropped many coins.

I can understand that they are human and not perfect but I agree … why not utilize any possible prevention technique available such as something as simple as a padded surface while handling these coins and gloves to prevent fingerprints? Seems simple and reasonable …   

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
These guys at NCS/NGC have handled 1,000’s and 1,000’s of coins … the law of averages would conclude that they have dropped many coins.

I can understand that they are human and not perfect but I agree … why not utilize any possible prevention technique available such as something as simple as a padded surface while handling these coins and gloves to prevent fingerprints? Seems simple and reasonable …   

AND; the simple answer is ....................... THEY DO NOT CARE!!!!   It is bad business for them to put out such a video showing their ineptness in handling our coins. Do they think we are blind? Maybe they need a change in their marketing dept.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »
Also, on another forum I have been reading about Chinese bloggers who have been pointing out fakes that NGC has apparently been certifying, such as several of the 1981 Lu Xun coins graded by NGC and for sale on ebay now.
I followed up on the 1981 Lu Xun.  I found seven with connected dots out of 34 studied.  I'm struck with the mirrored quality of all seven compared to the rest.  I sorted the reverse based on mirrored quality and the top seven turned out to have connected dots on the obverse.  All this reminds me of silver plated Pagoda which are significantly shinier than the true silver pagoda.  My theory is that like pagoda, the 1981 Lu Xun with connected dot is not fake, but silver plated version.  It is possible the silver plated version is lighter and of the same weight as the gilt version also on eBay from the same seller.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
The silver pagoda argument boiled down to this world......mislabeled.    Of course this happens w/ NGC.  Could the Lu Xun have the same issue?.......

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
I followed up on the 1981 Lu Xun.  I found seven with connected dots out of 34 studied.  I'm struck with the mirrored quality of all seven compared to the rest.  I sorted the reverse based on mirrored quality and the top seven turned out to have connected dots on the obverse.  All this reminds me of silver plated Pagoda which are significantly shinier than the true silver pagoda.  My theory is that like pagoda, the 1981 Lu Xun with connected dot is not fake, but silver plated version.  It is possible the silver plated version is lighter and of the same weight as the gilt version also on eBay from the same seller.

Ugh...I can't keep track of all these relatively obscure medals, much less the silver-plated-brass, gilt-brass, brass, or other versions of them!  In the back of my mind, it seems like it might be an area where a counterfeiter could put out his own version of something, get it recognized as official, out of obscurity, and then make a lot of money.  With the pagodas and the goldfish, I gather that NGC has done its research and is confident that they are authentic.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=1664
http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3071

If so, and if there is an NGC price guarantee, I guess buying an NGC-graded item could be an OK investment if you like the medals.  But personally, in general, I would be cautious about trying to get ahead of the curve and invest heavily in the next silver-plated, gilt-brass, or brass version of something in advance of it being recognized by NGC.  If you are a new collector, do your homework, be suspicious of potential conflicts of interest, and think independently.

Since I have a full time job, and coin collecting is just a side hobby, it is all I can do to try to keep up with the subtleties of population numbers and varieties for gold pandas.  Maybe after I retire I'll have the time and brain cells available to branch out and try to thoroughly understand some of the more obscure Chinese numismatic offerings. 

Having shared the above thoughts...in the interest of full disclosure, I have a significant investment in gold pandas, and I tend to like pure silver and pure gold, in general, so I have my own biases  :001_tongue: 

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
But personally, in general, I would be cautious about trying to get ahead of the curve and invest heavily in the next silver-plated, gilt-brass, or brass version of something in advance of it being recognized by NGC.  If you are a new collector, do your homework, be suspicious of potential conflicts of interest, and think independently.
When it comes to brass or plated brass medals, NGC has a lot of homework to do. One of the complaints from RAREMEDAL is that they label restrikes as originals. There are about as many original strike goldfish and pagoda brass sets as you can count on two hands, but NGC labels all of the brass goldfish and pagoda sets using the year of the original strikes. This is highly misleading as the original strikes double the value of the restrikes.