Author Topic: simplify topics  (Read 4444 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
simplify topics
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
Some of the listings in certain topics are very difficult for me to follow, such as "Wow of the Day," "Newest Chinese Coin," and any other topic which runs for 20 pages or more.  I suggest we try a different approach.  As an example, if someone wants to open a discussion about the 1982 silver Bank of China medal or the 1985 silver Palace Museum medal, please open a new topic instead of adding it to the 100 pages of comments on "Wow of the Day."  Certainly, this will lead to many, many more topics, but the discussion (over time) will be easier to find and digest.  Comments?  [If this was implemented, I would suggest that we shut down some of these lengthy and confusing topics.]  Mark Bonke

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: simplify topics
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
Agreed.  There are a lot of valuable information, unfortunately, embedded into different threads.  It would be great if somehow those embedded information can be extracted into the newly format simplify topics.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »
Speaking of simplified topics, Jay has quit MCC.  How sad is that?  He is one of the best........

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
Which Jay?  Jason has 170+ items on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/usr/jayson3

Arif

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:50:17 PM »
boybluejay.......

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
Speaking of simplified topics, Jay has quit MCC.  How sad is that?  He is one of the best........

How do you know this?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »
He told me.  Sale prices are low and restock prices are high so not much room......

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »
Thank you pandamonium.

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »
These comments help me make a point.

If someone opened a topic about Jay, then, everyone could easily research him by entering a word search for BlueBoyJay or his real name.  Over the years, hopefully, this information would build up in one location.

Information on the internet is chaotic, difficult to find and often inconsistent.  With adjustments, this forum could be a great resource for information.

Imagine if each new panda variety had its own topic and, as information became available, it was added to this new topic.  I would certainly appreciate this, as a collector.

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »

Does anyone know when he started selling MCCs?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
2011 methinks.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline Utah3

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
I researched his eBay feedbacks once.

It showed he started having feedbacks on MCC items in early 2011.

Sad to see him move on.

Just a class guy.

Utah3

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
I could not agree more, Utah3
                                          If all sellers used Jay's sales principles and had his ethics, E Bay could shut down their dispute division. His departure is a loss to the category and I only hope market conditions change to allow him to re inter the MCC arena.

Russ

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
He told me.  Sale prices are low and restock prices are high so not much room......

World coins in general require one to be a mix of dealer, investor and collector.  With dealer component not to exceed 65%, this is why so few modern coin dealers exist in the US, most want to be 90-95% dealer, with little desire to be investors or collectors in the coins.  The reason dealers don't want to be investors is often related to cash flow, view of gold prices, lack of affinity for the coins and other constraints.  Also the market for world coins and modern Chinese coins in particular are strongly cyclical, up and downs as China is learning to become a capitalist economy, which requires "dealer only" types to avoid coins during downturns and buy during up turns.  Also, during downturns a world dealer operating in the US has limited opportunity to buy because 1) sellers are bullish about the future about their coins and don't want to sell at current prices, 2) the availability of rare coins is low because strong hands hold inventory, 3) world coin collectors and investors tend to be more financially stable because they are investing in what is not vogue or liquid in their country so they hold during times of uncertainty, 4) lower gold has confused many investors and collectors so they hold during uncertainty.  If you can't buy coins at reasonable prices, then you have no chance of selling at reasonable prices, this is the challenge many are facing right now for modern Chinese coins.

There are many other reasons people sell and get out, buy a house, having a kid, divorce, death, medical bills, gambling debt, going to jail, bought on credit at the peak, found new investment(latest Ponzi scheme or craze), diversify coin holdings, starting a business, vacation, etc. I know many people that are very knowledgeable about modern Chinese coins that sold out for one of these reasons, someday they will be back in force. 

Bottom-line is it is when the spreads between bid and ask are too tight and market illiquidity is low, dealers get out every time, but when the market returns to its upswing they are often back very quickly.  It is like riding a bike, it is great in the summer time, but dangerous in the winter with snow and ice. 

Arif

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »
KDP,
I always enjoyed your post.  +1.  I hope the market will improve and BoyBlueJay returns soon.  I have enjoyed my transactions with BoyBlueJay on several occasions.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »
When this market goes back to a upswing and the former collectors/dealers get back into the MCC market.  Is there enough inventory of MCC to satisfy that demand?...........

Offline fractalfate

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 12:37:29 AM »
KDP-
Just wanted to shout out props to you and your important posts. You bring a depth and breadth of knowledge to this forum that is truly humbling. Your thoughts are prescient, cogent, and precise. Thank you, sir.