Author Topic: What are the hot new (2013-2014) "art" and commemoratiive coins, and medals?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline purple88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
I'm trying very hard to learn about the older issues that are most common...Pandas...Lunars.. but I know there's a whole world of Chinese coinage I have no clue about but want to learn about, collect and invest in.

This is my first post so if this post has been done to death please point me in the right direction.

I am a man of modest means so that's why I focused the question on newer coins hoping they would be in a reasonable price range.  Any advice and assistance is greatly appreciated.  I look forward to everyone's opinions.

N25

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
You may actually find that some of the newer issues have a price point that is too high relative to their "comparatively high" mintage numbers . . .  the comparison being to most of the older cultural issues. In other words, older coins with much smaller mintages can be found for the same price one would pay for new issues.

IMO, you should collect what you like, but most Chinese buyers seem to stick to coins rather than medals. Therefore, if you "invest,"  you might decide to invest in what there is a current market for (coins) or what future buyers may want to own (medals?)

There are many cool series to look into:
Inventions and Discoveries
Silk Road
Scenery
Paintings
Yellow River Culture
Historical Figures
Series' on Chinese literature
Unicorns
Gods/Goddesses

You can check out china-mint.info and browse year by year to see the different coins produced by the China Mints.

I am a man of modest means so that's why I focused the question on newer coins hoping they would be in a reasonable price range.  Any advice and assistance is greatly appreciated.  I look forward to everyone's opinions.

N25

Offline purple88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Thanks a lot Mirkkanen.  Great info.