Author Topic: Shanghai Ferry Company tokens  (Read 3071 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Shanghai Ferry Company tokens
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »
Dear all,

Today I would like to shortly about Shanghai Ferry Company.

There are 5 series of tokens which were issued by this company.

The first series it is only one token from 1945. I don't not have the picture of this token to show you.

The second series consists 2 tokens made of zinc with the image of a boat on the one side. On a reverse side there on both tokens above there is 上海市輪渡公司 - Shanghai shi lundu gongsi = Shanghai Ferry company. Below there are 3 characters: 對江渡 - to cross river (if I am not wrong). In the middle on token A1 there is chinese character: 客 - passenger. On the other one (picture A2) within a circle there is different chinese character: 貨 - cargo. Both tokens are made of zinc. There are probably from 1950s. Some people also believe that they could be from 1960s or 1970s even.

The third series includes 3 tokens. They were also issued in 1985 as each has a date on it. On both sides of each token there is 上海对江轮渡筹码, which means Shanghai jiang (对江 - don't know what this jiang means) round ferry chip.
3 very light green tokens has dark green, light green or dark red ferry emblem in the middle or without filled ferry emblem. They are all made of plastic. The dark green, dark red, light green or not filled emblem symbolize different tariff.

The fourth series is made of the same material as well as the above one. This series is from 1987. On one side there is a image of the boat (with date "1987" below the boat on yellow and dark green tokens) and on the other side: 上海市轮渡公司 - Shanghai Ferry Company. Colors symbolize different tariff.
Varieties:
yellow with date 1987,
dark green with date 1987,
light green - no date,
blue - no date,
pink - no date,
orange - no date,
cherry color - no date

Finally the fifth series - the newest one and the last one. Tokens are made of plastic as above to previous series. These tokens were issued in 2005 probably. As far as I know there are 2 colors: blue and grey. On the reverse there are 4 chinese characters: 上海轮渡 - Shanghai ferry and modern trademark. On the obverse there are 9 chinese characters. I have a problem to translate sixth and seventh chinese character. If someone would help me here. I would be appreciate.

I hope you enjoy reading about Shanghai ferry company tokens. Each token were used for 1 travel (1 crossing of the river).
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

Re: Shanghai Ferry Company tokens
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
Except those displayed on this photo there is also one black plastic Shanghai Ferry token from 2005.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
Here is some article about Shanghai Ferry tokens which I found:

http://newspaper.jfdaily.com/xwcb/html/2011-01/12/content_493174.htm
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
Those 2 are latest Shanghai Ferry plastic tokens: grey one and blue one. They belong to fifth series. These tokens were issued in 2005.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:06 AM »
Dear Shanghai token collectors,

Speaking about 3rd series. I mentioned above that it includes 3 tokens. However I would like to share with you with my new discovery. Two light green plastic tokens with dark green emblem (which looks like anchor for me) has 3 varieties. So there are actually 4 tokens from this 3rd series.

Nr 1: is a light green plastic token with dark green emblem which looks melted. Because of this 8 chinese character which are above the dark green emblem are not so clearly visuable (obverse and reverse is the same). It has also not clear date 1985.

Nr 2: is also light green plastic token with dark green emblem which is lighter than the emblem on Nr 1, but it has no date and it has 11 chinese characters above the dark green emblem (obverse and reverse is the same).

Nr 3: is similar to Nr 1, but there is not filling part (the dark green emblem) ---- the filling part is empty. It also has date 1985 below and 8 chinese characters above (obverse and reverse is the same).

Well, this is what I found out. I hope you enjoyed :001_smile:
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 06:45:36 AM »
This orange plastic token belongs to Shanghai ferry company. It was probably issued in 1987 with other tokens from the fourth series.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Kushi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »
What are the diameters of these tokens in millimetres? Thank you.