Author Topic: Long Beach auction results  (Read 10241 times)

Offline Yandy1990

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Long Beach auction results
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
1668 Chris or any forum member, my question.   The 1979 Year of Child Matte silver has 1,000 mintage Mr. Ge.  NGC has graded 112 total, 93 are PF 69.   The 1982 Bank of China silver medal has 16,000 mintage.  NGC has graded 5 total, 1 is PF 68, 3 are 67 and one 64.  I have emailed several US and China seller and all say it is a very rare medal.  A PF 67 sold for about $500 then a OMP sold for close to $600.  The knock is the high planned mintage and it is a medal.  I have seen about 3 to 4 a yr on ebay.  Higher prices may encourage more to be graded.  Could the 82 Bank of China be more rare then the 79 Yr of Child Matte?  Could the Bank of China command the price the Yr of Child Matte is getting? 

With my Chinese background, I think the cultural value of YoC is way higher. The design was done by a famouse artist and it is way better than the CB coin.

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
Just on ebay, two 1982 Bank of China medals were listed within days of each other in August, one ungraded with box, one graded. Another one was listed and sold May 5.

There was an ungraded one with box that sold in Australia also on May 27 for A$338

As far as I can tell, four coins in five months is actually more than the Year of Child Matte has sold on ebay in the same period, but time will tell if thats an anomaly.

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medallion-1982-Bank-of-China-70th-Anniversary-/321171776906

Sold:  ~US $82

This is usually what happened when listed in the wrong category.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
Interesting.  We are all looking for a diamond in the rough.  Is the B of C really rare or just waiting for the price to hit the $1,000 mark to bring more of them to market.   It has potential to be a home run but the jury is still out........

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »
1668Chris, I have to say I disagree with you. I should have corrected myself: What I meant was if you get in this market as a collector( dealers or traders are not included) after late 2010, you are sitting on an average loss of 30-40%. If you are a dealer or active trader, you can still make profit, as long as you move thing in and out quickly enough. Dealers, esp smart ones who know the market dynamics well, should still make money regardless of market condition, and therefore, will never go out of business.

I can’t speak for ALL MCC’s as I only collect Panda’s but I feel the pandas have done fairly well, especially the gold pandas. I’ve only recently scaled back on coins as I’ve been expending quite a bit on CGC books but I’m always looking for a good deal when I can find one.

Of course everyone has a different timeline and I’m just a simple collector but for me these coins are bought and held not be sold for 20 years or more so I rarely (if ever) even look at recent prices.

Happy collecting !  :thumbup:

Offline aragog

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
Just on ebay, two 1982 Bank of China medals were listed within days of each other in August, one ungraded with box, one graded. Another one was listed and sold May 5.

There was an ungraded one with box that sold in Australia also on May 27 for A$338

As far as I can tell, four coins in five months is actually more than the Year of Child Matte has sold on ebay in the same period, but time will tell if thats an anomaly.

I have asked a question about this medal a year or two ago. Not much information was about this medal at that time, And even more, since then, not much of them were on ebay. Unfortunatelly, my came with scratches and not gradable I think.
At that time one of forum members gave a link to a useful site in chinese on all medals andthis one was listed there as well.
And my understanding is, that the coin, at least most of the mintage was given to the people involved in banking, not collectioners. This explains its rarity in numismatic world. Moreover, it can also explain that a few were graded and with lower grades. Majority are prbably as mine ungradable, as general population does not how to handle PROOF coins.

And, of course, I am glad, that more people appreciate this medal now, its one of the early medals and deserves more attention. I never regret  buying  even   scratched one

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
For me, the auction offering was uninspiring to the point where I could not find one coin worth bidding on.   Also, omp coins have been taking a beating every week on zhao online.  These results are in line with what I am seeing.  Furthermore with grading getting tougher why take the risk of omp without seeing the coin in hand.  I would much rather pay up for a 69 than take a chance.

The Platinum 1989 Snake  $3290 incl. BP.
http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=3026&lotNo=24331
got a 69 UC grading.

Regards
Sasushi

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »
Nice. Thats what I said on Sept 27

"The Platinum 1989 Snake was cheap. $3290 incl. BP.
http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=3026&lotNo=24331"