Author Topic: Bringing purchased items from China to US  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Trumfy10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Bringing purchased items from China to US
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question? I am going to china this year and intend on buying gold and silver goins. What are the rules that I have to follow to bring them back to the US and what are the limitations? I am just a collector collecting for my own collection. Appreciate any insight you guys can provide. Also would it be easier to ship items over to the US then walk them through?

Thanks,

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: Bringing purchased items from China to US
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
Piece of advice (*for my 400th post*):

Don't write "goins" on your customs form upon entry to the US. If you do, US customs officers will likely search your possessions to find out exactly what a "goin" is ;)

Other than this, I cannot hep to answer your question.

*edit*

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question? I am going to china this year and intend on buying gold and silver goins. What are the rules that I have to follow to bring them back to the US and what are the limitations? I am just a collector collecting for my own collection. Appreciate any insight you guys can provide. Also would it be easier to ship items over to the US then walk them through?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:27:42 PM by Mirkkanen »

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
...Don't write "goins" on your customs form upon entry to the US. If you do, US customs officers will likely search your possessions to find out exactly what a "goin" is ;)...
After a long day at the office, I needed a good laugh  N27

Here is some information, not sure if fit your situation or not.

What are the regulations for importing gold coins, medals, and bullion into the U.S.?
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/322/

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:59 AM »
On my many trips back and forth to China, I have never encountered any problems with coins. I have had many stashed in my backpack. It was inspected upon leaving China only because the metal showed-up on x-ray. Of course, I was not bringing "Fort Knox" back to USA! IMHO, China is not the best place to buy coins unless you are looking for something VERY special and have deep pockets. Pricewise, you can do better on ebay; plus you have the buyer protection. Just enjoy China's rich culture and dynamic history!!! Also, do not buy and so-called "antiques". There are more REAL Chinese antiques in USA, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Stupid Mao made sure that most were destroyed during the "Cultural Destruction" period of his reign of terror! Another very sad chapter in China's history.