Author Topic: What's wrong with this picture?  (Read 88371 times)

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
What's wrong with this picture?
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
What's wrong with this picture?

"2001 1 oz Gold Chinese Panda Coin - Sealed in Plastic
Buy with confidence from APMEX on eBay!"

"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline trozau

Re: What's wrong with this picture?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Soft plastic pouch looks to be 80s circa seal. Tight and close to the coin. Re-seal?
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
Yes, wrong plastic for 2001.
It's either a reseal, or a photoshop (which Apmex has oddly, been known do to in the past)

("Buy with confidence from APMEX on eBay!")  

Foot: meet self-shot bullet

Confucius

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:55:19 PM »
So the lack of obvious "ironed" sealed edge means someone now has replicated the old seal patterns in a sealing machine?

If so, buyers of OMP now need to be on the alert and now confirm other subtle clues confirming the integrity of OMP coins.

Implications are that a coin may have been once submitted for grading, received a lower than desired grade, and now seller is trying to "recycle" and pass off as pristine / (not yet graded) a coin in an intentionally misleading / fraudulent plastic mint wrap

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-1-oz-Gold-Chinese-Panda-Coin-Sealed-in-Plastic-/111168216927?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item19e2245f5f

From WG : " fake folie"

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:24:29 PM by Hippanda »

Confucius

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »
So the lack of obvious "ironed" sealed edge means someone now has replicated the old seal patterns in a sealing machine?

If so, buyers of OMP now need to be on the alert and now confirm other subtle clues confirming the integrity of OMP coins.

Implications are that a coin may have been once submitted for grading, received a lower than desired grade, and now seller is trying to "recycle" and pass off as pristine / (not yet graded) a coin in an intentionally misleading / fraudulent plastic mint wrap

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-1-oz-Gold-Chinese-Panda-Coin-Sealed-in-Plastic-/111168216927?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item19e2245f5f

From WG : " fake folie"

Wrong mint for the coins and/or the pouch pattern isn't quite right. Even so, it's been dangerous to buy "OMP" coins based on their pouches for awhile due to resealing - unless you are certain the coins have been in storage for many years. Even so it was never a sure thing as there are many reports that mint employees resealed coins for favored people.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline wg

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »

Offline wg

Offline wg

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
Wrong mint for the coins and/or the pouch pattern isn't quite right. Even so, it's been dangerous to buy "OMP" coins based on their pouches for awhile due to resealing - unless you are certain the coins have been in storage for many years. Even so it was never a sure thing as there are many reports that mint employees resealed coins for favored people.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

hello peter,

btw. favored people ... do you think the other p.a. know more/can help us
 above/with this re-sealing story?

thanks

Offline eurokrem

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
@wg

well, there are more of those fake pouch coins, all of them are from USA big Coin dealer ( not ebay shop ! ) , i have bills and customs protocol for those coins, its clear, those fake pouches are coming from USA  N32

1/20oz Panda

2004 179$
2001 175$
1990 135$
1989 149$

those Prices are OK for OMP Pandas but for those fake sealed coins is this no go, colleague collector has buyed those coins, for me it is clear, i dont buy any coins from USA dealers ever again, Ebay is better, its a scandal  N26

Those people they are running this business should be ashamed.

У добру је лако добар бити, на муци се познају јунаци,
 Владика Петар II Петровић Његош 1813—1851

It is easy to be good while it is good, the trouble reveals the heroes.
Vladika Petar II Petrović Njegoš 1813-1851

Offline PandaQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
In three years buying pandas in my local market, I've never bought a single "fake" OMP panda. The couple I did buy were on eBay, and the sellers were not domestic. And that was first 6 months, at the time I didn't know which are real or fake.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »
I read this thread right before I opened up a recent purchase from a major US dealer.  It looks like I received another reseal where they slide the coin into an "OMP" that they've saved.  I've bought from this dealer many times before, so I don't think they did it, but I think somebody resealed it and sold it to them.  This is annoying and it is the second time it has happened to me (different dealer).  N1

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=8521.0

The 1992 g1/4 "OMP" that I received today was probably an MS67 or MS68 that was cracked out of the holder, resealed, and sold as "OMP."

Is the "OMP" even correct for this 1992?

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »
@wg

well, there are more of those fake pouch coins, all of them are from USA big Coin dealer ( not ebay shop ! ) , i have bills and customs protocol for those coins, its clear, those fake pouches are coming from USA  N32

1/20oz Panda

2004 179$
2001 175$
1990 135$
1989 149$

those Prices are OK for OMP Pandas but for those fake sealed coins is this no go, colleague collector has buyed those coins, for me it is clear, i dont buy any coins from USA dealers ever again, Ebay is better, its a scandal  N26

While I certainly understand your frustration not all U.S. dealers are alike. There are many excellent U.S. dealers selling MCC. The unscrupulous dealers unfortunately do exist. The forum has discussed one particular major U.S. dealer recently who I'm sure many (including myself) would NEVER deal with again. The only way to send a message to those who were never taught that "honesty is the best policy" is to shut them out 100% even if it's a coin you really need or want. BTW, who is this dealer? PM me if you don't wish to put on forum. I think I know who though.

Offline eurokrem

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
@Birdman

Pouch is right for 1992, i have 1/20oz in same pouch but mines is not opened, somebody has messed with this pouch.
У добру је лако добар бити, на муци се познају јунаци,
 Владика Петар II Петровић Његош 1813—1851

It is easy to be good while it is good, the trouble reveals the heroes.
Vladika Petar II Petrović Njegoš 1813-1851

Offline wg

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 03:24:52 AM »
@wg

1/20oz Panda

2004 179$
2001 175$
1990 135$
1989 149$

we approach the source .. i am sure it will not be long. ;)

regards