Author Topic: Translation of RAREMEDAL's posts on goldfish medals  (Read 7310 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Translation of RAREMEDAL's posts on goldfish medals
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
RAREMEDAL just posted on goldfish medals on the Chinese bqcoin.com. Anyone interested please see my translation here: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2013/09/mr-feng-jingjings-work-on-goldfish.html

It is very detailed. NGC needs to take a look, too :)

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Translation of RAREMEDAL's posts on goldfish medals
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
Nice information.

Thank you.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
RAREMEDAL just posted on goldfish medals on the Chinese bqcoin.com. Anyone interested please see my translation here: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2013/09/mr-feng-jingjings-work-on-goldfish.html

It is very detailed. NGC needs to take a look, too :)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
A very fine translation.  Another important insight into the 1984 goldfish discussion.  From the NGC database point of view, I can collaborate the occurance of variety 2 (broken stem) and variety 3 (solid stem) for the silver dragon eyes.  I've searched specifically for variety 1 (solid cluster), but picture 4 of Raremedal is the first time I saw a silver dragon eyes solid cluster.  Variety 1 does occur in the Gilt Brass with the associated defect in the obverse such as NGC 3628401-010.  The silver plated dragon eyes are almost always variety 2 (broken stem).  My feeling is that variety 1 is hard to find in all incarnation of dragon eyes.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:59:09 AM »
Another excellent translation for the language challenge people to gain more understanding of the medals  :001_smile:

Keep up with the good work and contribution.

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »

frank

N48
thanks

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
I have the following in my collection. 

1984 silver dragon eyes: 1-variety one and 2-variety three.  1990 silver dragon eyes: 1-variety two. 

1984 silver-plated:  I have two sets, but cannot tell from the pictures and information given.  I cannot tell if my sets were plated before or after striking. 

Mark Bonke

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
The advice about 1 1/2 yrs ago was to stay away from the gilt and plated pagodas/goldfish.  Ebay # 130980575857  1984 gilt copper pagoda set sold for $535.   They keep going up in price and not seen often on ebay........

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »
I bought many of the silver plated and gilt sets that came on the market at that time. They were pretty cheap. I have the highest graded gilt goldfish set at NGC, the type marked 'scarce' in the translation. Here are my gilt fish:
https://www.LBC/smf/index.php?topic=5411.msg35395#msg35395

I recall that not many agreed with my strategy then.

"Pagodas are just like the Goldfish, where I think the silver plated versions then the gold gilt will eventually rise in value too."

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5687.msg36283#msg36283

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:41:06 PM »
1984 silver dragon eyes: 1-variety one and 2-variety three.  1990 silver dragon eyes: 1-variety two. 

wg and bonke,
Does the reverse of your variety 1 1984 silver dragon eyes have the characteristic defect on the goldfish body as described by Raremedal? 

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »
I bought many of the silver plated and gilt sets that came on the market at that time. They were pretty cheap. I have the highest graded gilt goldfish set at NGC, the type marked 'scarce' in the translation. Here are my gilt fish:
https://www.LBC/smf/index.php?topic=5411.msg35395#msg35395

I recall that not many agreed with my strategy then.

"Pagodas are just like the Goldfish, where I think the silver plated versions then the gold gilt will eventually rise in value too."

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5687.msg36283#msg36283
Good for you, David. Gurus like RAREMEDAL always go for the rarest top tier types, in this case brass or solid silver versions. While the silver plated and gilt goldfish are still cheap in China now (I bought a silver plated goldfish set for about $60 a month ago), they are not as readily available as before. As such, the price is expected to rise. There are no raw silver plated goldfish sets on Taobao, and only a few gilt sets, which I guess will also disappear soon. I knew a seller with two gilt sets. One was Famous Pagodas (the pagodas as we know), the other Famous Towers. When I checked again yesterday, the Pagodas were gone. It may be a good idea to have some of these gilt or silver plated medals when they are still cheap and available.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 01:37:48 AM »
Good for you, David. Gurus like RAREMEDAL always go for the rarest top tier types, in this case brass or solid silver versions. While the silver plated and gilt goldfish are still cheap in China now (I bought a silver plated goldfish set for about $60 a month ago), they are not as readily available as before. As such, the price is expected to rise. There are no raw silver plated goldfish sets on Taobao, and only a few gilt sets, which I guess will also disappear soon. I knew a seller with two gilt sets. One was Famous Pagodas (the pagodas as we know), the other Famous Towers. When I checked again yesterday, the Pagodas were gone. It may be a good idea to have some of these gilt or silver plated medals when they are still cheap and available.
Correction. I did some more search on Taobao. There are still a couple of silver plated goldfish sets available.

Offline wg

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »
wg and bonke,
Does the reverse of your variety 1 1984 silver dragon eyes have the characteristic defect on the goldfish body as described by Raremedal? 

no

btw. plated set only two coins have the defect on the body.

regards

Offline wg

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:22:39 AM »
frank

can you please tell me weight of

brass medal 1 - 3

and

are the restrikes all same weight?

thanks
best regards

p.s.: 15,5g  medal from this set

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
frank

can you please tell me weight of

brass medal 1 - 3

and

are the restrikes all same weight?

thanks
best regards

p.s.: 15,5g  medal from this set

I will ask RAREMEDAL about it. I do not have these medals.