Author Topic: Help with my Fat Man Dollar  (Read 2295 times)

Offline GenericLad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Help with my Fat Man Dollar
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this Fat Man Dollar, I purchased it today for $20 from a local gold/silver place. The place has an X-Ray machine and it tested at ~90% silver (the machine is never 100% accurate, but is good at distinguishing between plated and real silver)and is not magnetic. It weighs ~27 grams on my cheap scale as you can see from the pics.

So I'm wondering: 

1) What's the date?
2) What's the mint?
3) Is it real?
4) What's the value?

Pics can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/8FA3M

Thanks! 

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Help with my Fat Man Dollar
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »
Dear GenericLad,

First of all. Welcome on CCF :)

I would be happy to answer your questions but first I must see your coin. I can't open the link which you provided. Would you be so kind and post high resolution picture of your fatman (showing clear obverse and reverse of the coin) dollar?
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline GenericLad

• New
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Hm, weird, the link opens fine for me o.O

Anyways,

Offline KONDi

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:51 AM »
Dear GenericLad,

Regarding to your questions:

1) What's the date? It is fatman dollar 1921 (10th year of Republic of China)
2) What's the mint? Most of fatman dollars were issued by Tianjin Central Mint.
3) Is it real? I can't answer clear about it. For me the authenticity is questionable (obverse). There are some points which I will mention soon...
4) What's the value? The genuine fatman dollar 1921 in such o condition in China is worth $120 the most.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
Dear GenericLad,

Sorry for backing to you so late.

I would like to finish my expertise on your fatman dollar 1921.

Regarding to your question, is it real? I mentioned that it looks for me like questionable. The reason why I was thinking like that is because of appearance of obverse. It has splitted rim and partly even the split disappears. On his cheek there are small bumps. Also there is a crack from small inner tooth which is going to the part with stars.

However your fatman could be genuine coin. The small bumps could be mechanical damage (your picture didn't show that clearly, so I was thinking those are small bumps). Second thing is "pentagonal armed star" (5-armed star), the first star which is going from a collar.

I have seen similar 5-armed start in this different shape on some other 1921 fatmans.

I even have (after checking my coins) that I do have 1921 fatman with similar crack on the obverse but it is going from the other side on obverse and from bigger inner tooth.

Why do I think it is genuine coin after all?

Well, there is a security tooth on reverse on left side (marked on green color) and there are at least 2 visible lines which are going through second character "yuan" on reverse. To compare I put there a fragment of my other fatman 1921 (its reverse side) with 4 lines.

So my final judgement is that this could be genuine piece. The best way would be send it to PCGS or NGC for grading. With buying old chinese silver coins, we must be always very careful.

Anyway 20 bucks for your Yuan Shih Kai 1921 is really good deal. I hope my humble opinion helped you somehow.

Greetings from Shanghai!
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Prudential

• New
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:57:49 PM »
I think it is genuine.