Author Topic: Mustard & Co. scarce Shanghai tokens  (Read 6325 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Mustard & Co. scarce Shanghai tokens
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:48:35 AM »
In "Seaports of the Far East Illustrated", extract from the Rt. Honble Joseph Chamberlain's Circular Letter of March 30th, 1901, to Government Administrators throughhout the British Empire. page 123

Mustard and Company were general importers and commission agents on Nanking Road in Shanghai. The company was founded 41 years ago (according to what it says on page 123), which means 1901-41 we will get 1860 as the date of foundation. However it is unsure. The president of the company was Mr. Lauritz Anderson. The date 1860 could be the date when the company was still operating in United States. Later they decided to expand their business to China and Manchuria. Mr. Yao Ching Yung was one of the employee who had been hired by Mustard & Co. in 1871 as assistant storekeeper. This suggest that the company was in business in Shanghai in early 1870s. Mustard & Co. was importing and distributing tobacco products of BAT Co. British American Tobacco Company (BAT Co.) was founded in 1902 as a result of fusion American Tobacco Company and Imperial Tobacco Company of England. In I am not wrong 1906 they built a factory in Pudong, which hired 2000 people and producing tobacco goods.
The name of the company could come from R.W.Mustard who was a general storekeeper according to "The directory chronicle for China and Japan - 1872". The same person is listed also continuously in 1892 and even in 1894. This mean that he was working for the company for over 20 years. It is uncertain stoped exist but BAT Co., which Mustard & Co. was distributing left China in 1952.

This is shortly about the history of the company. Now I would like to mention about tokens which Mustard & Co. issued.

Tokens are round shaped. Higher denomination (50 cash) is made od brass and lower denomination (30 cash) is made of copper-nickel.
I head that there are 2 lower denomination: 10 cash and 20 cash, but I have never seen them and it could be just a rumor

Diameter of each token (30 and 50 cash) is about 27mm.

They were probably issued in 1890 or later for the payment of coolie hire or to pay for rickshaw.

Here is translation of Chinese characters on 30 cash and 50 cash token on obverse:
钱五十文 = 50 cash in money, 钱三十文 = 30 cash in money.
晋隆 = Jin Long (name of the company), 洋行 = Foreign firm

On reverse within horse shoe the is a sign: "Mustard & Co Shanghai".

These are extremely rare old Shanghai tokens, which are worth to collect and worth to buy.

About those tokens you can read in "The Coins of The British Commonwealth of Nations to the end of the reign of George VI 1952 Part 2 Asian Territories 1965" by F.Pridmore on page 325-326.

There are more information about BAT Co. in "British business in China 1860s-1950s".

and information about Mustard & Co. in "Learning to do Business in China: the Evolution of BAT’s Cigarette Distribution Network, 1902-41" by Howard Cox, 1997 on page 4, 7, 8, 12, 13 and 27.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

Re: Mustard & Co. scarce Shanghai tokens
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:50 AM »
 :001_rolleyes:
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:52:38 AM »
30 and 50 cash denomination...
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 05:21:46 AM »
I found some document related with British-American Tobacco Co. Ltd.

ad also some pice of information in Chinese on some other website:

http://t.qq.com/p/t/43282036539640
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline ArdenBadont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »
In "Seaports of the Far East Illustrated", extract from the Rt. Honble Joseph Chamberlain's Circular Letter of March 30th, 1901, to Government Administrators throughhout the British Empire. page 123

Mustard and Company were general importers and commission agents on Nanking Road in Shanghai. The company was founded 41 years ago (according to what it says on page 123), which means 1901-41 we will get 1860 as the date of foundation. However it is unsure. The president of the company was Mr. Lauritz Anderson. The date 1860 could be the date when the company was still operating in United States. Later they decided to expand their business to China and Manchuria. Mr. Yao Ching Yung was one of the employee who had been hired by Mustard & Co. in 1871 as assistant storekeeper. This suggest that the company was in business in Shanghai in early 1870s. Mustard & Co. was importing and distributing tobacco products of BAT Co. British American Tobacco Company (BAT Co.) was founded in 1902 as a result of fusion American Tobacco Company and Imperial Tobacco Company of England. In I am not wrong 1906 they built a factory in Pudong, which hired 2000 people and producing tobacco goods.
The name of the company could come from R.W.Mustard who was a general storekeeper according to "The directory chronicle for China and Japan - 1872". The same person is listed also continuously in 1892 and even in 1894. This mean that he was working for the company for over 20 years. It is uncertain stoped exist but BAT Co., which Mustard & Co. was distributing left China in 1952.

This is shortly about the history of the company. Now I would like to mention about tokens which Mustard & Co. issued.

Tokens are round shaped. Higher denomination (50 cash) is made od brass and lower denomination (30 cash) is made of copper-nickel.
I head that there are 2 lower denomination: 10 cash and 20 cash, but I have never seen them and it could be just a rumor

They were probably issued in 1890 or later for the payment of coolie hire or to pay for rickshaw.

Here is translation of Chinese characters on 30 cash and 50 cash token on obverse:

These are extremely rare old Shanghai tokens, which are worth to collect and worth to buy.

About those tokens you can read in "The Coins of The British Commonwealth of Nations to the end of the reign of George VI 1952 Part 2 Asian Territories 1965" by F.Pridmore on page 325-326.

There are more information about BAT Co. in "British business in China 1860s-1950s".

and information about Mustard & Co. in "Learning to do Business in China: the Evolution of BAT’s Cigarette Distribution Network, 1902-41" by Howard Cox, 1997 on page 4, 7, 8, 12, 13 and 27.
Those tokens are just amazing.. Even I do have a small collection of these tokens which I will share very soon,.

Offline ArdenBadont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »

and information about Mustard & Co. in "Learning to do Business in China: the Evolution of BAT’s electronic cigarettes Distribution Network, 1902-41" by Howard Cox, 1997 on page 4, 7, 8, 12, 13 and 27.
Those tokens are just amazing.. Even I do have a small collection of these tokens which I will share very soon,.

Will share it soon..