Author Topic: Welcome to the New Chinese Paper Money Thread!!!!  (Read 16482 times)

Offline james007

• Trade Count: (0)
Welcome to the New Chinese Paper Money Thread!!!!
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
Welcome to the New Bank Note Thread! I am James and I started collecting a year ago. Went to a coin show and couldn't find a panda. But I did find a new hobby that I didn't want to start. Bank Notes. The last year I have been reading Adam Biagis articles in the Pricepedia. I told myself I would never even think about it. Until that coin show with no Pandas. You see I found thee most beautiful note for $12.00. The 1914 10 yuan bank note with a train and steamboat. I saw instant value and beauty in what I was holding.

Ever since I have been on the hunt in the east coast searching for notes! And I found them!!!

Welcome to the thread. And Thanks to Peter Anthony and Adam Biagi and my good friend Slei that I went to the show with!

Offline james007

Re: Welcome to the New Chinese Paper Money Thread!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »
Here we go! Please post pics!!

Here is a note at pmg right now.

Look at that date and quality! I won't sell a perfect Chinese note.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
I picked up about a dozen good quality notes myself in the last 1 1/2 yrs.  Some old ones too.  Too cheap to pass up.  The most I paid is $10 USd for a Chinese 10,000 gold units note.   Chinese notes including the common ones I have, should see a price increase as the entire Chinese money market is going up.   MCC are best but notes should rate up there too.......

Offline james007

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »

This note comes in a set that I have 2 of. Still looking for the third.

Picked it up at the Memphis show.

Offline james007

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
I picked up about a dozen good quality notes myself in the last 1 1/2 yrs.  Some old ones too.  Too cheap to pass up.  The most I paid is $10 USd for a Chinese 10,000 gold units note.   Chinese notes including the common ones I have, should see a price increase as the entire Chinese money market is going up.   MCC are best but notes should rate up there too.......

If you want cheap notes you have to tell me where to find them. Because the first red note I posted is making gains even and its a common note. It would be awesome if we were also a note community so we could trade back and forth. I don't trade my MCC because something in my brain cracks and says NO!!!

Offline james007

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »

I just wish I was picking these up for $5.00 a year ago.  IN Chinese notes you are going to be able to find very good quality 100 year old notes for $10.00 to $15.00. 

Offline james007

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »

You will only find this note graded 8 times on PMG. Paper Money Guaranty.

As the only coins I want on my MCC list are over a thousand dollars. It becomes very tough to play fast and hard with them. So I fell into these notes at a good time.
Hopefully I can post everyday if you guys don't get sick of me.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
Nice notes James.   Here are some of mine and I am clueless to value......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »
Was told mine are common but have they gone up in value?   Have some more, some w/ airplanes, etc.......

Offline james007

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:05 AM »
I love the theme notes. Like the trains and junk boats. I believe these will always hold better value. You gotta check ebay  once in a while some pristine notes that you can make a collection with. I collected a few Confucius notes over the summer that have the best stories.

Will try to go over the notes later and see some values. Most of the time soiled or bent bills have no value at all unless they are really rare. The trains you have are awesome, but some others with bends really takes away from the note.

Offline james007

Chinese notes value....Pandamonium!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
Just checked the notes. I think I would value the ten at $100-$175. I have all the same notes you have. These are very common notes. At least you didn't do what I did and fall backwards by sending them to pmg at $30 a pop.

I will post those tonight.

I always learn the hard way.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
My 5th attempt to post, have no clue what is wrong.  Most of my notes were about $1 each.  It makes sense that those w/ a bend in them have little value.   Will not grade them for now as they are probably not worth much.  Will sell them someday when they have value.  That is good news that one of them may be worth $100.  Let me know if any others have potential.  Have a few more besides these last photos but I have posted enough.......

Offline PandaQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
Nice notes both of you!

I bought a couple in 2011, met a dealer from a local coin show that had a book full of notes. I picked these out cause they were the older ones. Curious to what their worth?, I bought them cheap (i think) $15 for both. Even if they aren't worth anything they're still neat with cool art work.

Offline PandaQuest

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
One more 1918, unfortunately not in perfect condition.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
Nice notes PandaQuest.   Have no clue if mine are real, fake or maybe some other country.   Look at this 2000 dragon uncut for $5798  Ebay # 161023811169   It is either very rare or over priced, maybe both.......

Offline james007

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
Those notes with just he train on the red note is really in demand.

Offline james007

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
For sure they are real! That 1 yuan red note with the train on the front is in big demand.

Offline james007

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
I meant the whole lot bud. You think panda stats are mind filling. Notes stats are 10X worse. There are 10,000 Chinese bank notes. Now try to figure out how many   actual perfect notes there are. Impossible.

Now ask your self where the hell are they? Ebay holds mostly common notes with about 1%-3% of those auctions containing a rare note. From my perspective; talking to many dealers. They do not want to sell. Just like pandas with coin shops notes are put away until the seller feels they have reached a price they feel viable for there bank note.

Then there are some really big dealers that I have talked to at the shows. After a hello and asking about Chinese notes they would amaze me saying we take our  Asian notes to Hong Kong! Yikes that is not a couple tanks of gas! But that's how much you can make taking your rare notes to August Hong Kong Show! I may not have enough to go to auction at a Hong Kong Show. But I can dream!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
Why the Hong Kong Show?  Higher prices?   My guesstimate is now is a good time to hold Chinese notes.  They will go higher in the near future so may as well hang on for better prices.  I was offered 3 notes recently by a local but the price was too high so the public knows.  I also read not many for sale..........

Offline james007

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
Why the Hong Kong Show?  Higher prices?   My guesstimate is now is a good time to hold Chinese notes.  They will go higher in the near future so may as well hang on for better prices.  I was offered 3 notes recently by a local but the price was too high so the public knows.  I also read not many for sale..........

Panda!
I believe the Hong Kong Show has the most people from all of Asia. But that is just a guess. Also I maybe wrong again but I think it's a ANA show which has a Universal Management team that can setup a convention hall and note have any worries about overbooking and security. 

Higher Prices Yes!! We just need a book besides the current publications that really dive into Chinese  notes.  Remember before Peter's book there were not many on the hunt for the panda. Nobody knew anything and many coin shops were not even taking pandas.

Today coin shops now know there are a million of Chinese collectors that like pandas. That is only because of Peter's book.
If we can find a Mr. Gee of Chinese bank notes and Kevin Biagi that can really help us with a English Version that would bring
safety to buyers who want to get in on the game but just worry to much about it.

Not many for sale and only one stash in the Country of Turkey and those guys aren't selling.

I traveled the east coast over the summer looking for notes. I made some cash on some notes and lost on the travel. Still great learning experience. And that learning experience is don't do that again.

There is a dealer I keep emailing about notes once a month. He never returned my emails but I figure when he does call back; it's a good time to sell.

Last but not least there are ten thousand notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
10,000 different Chinese notes is alot.   100,000 mintage of a silver panda is alot.  Same old statistics.  When 1/5th of China's population can afford to buy, that is equal to the entire US population of over 300 million or 300,000,000 plus.   Now look at the population of the rest of the world that can buy Chinese money.   The available cash on the sidelines that is looking for Return On Investment is $ billions (1000 X 1 million) or $ trillions (1000 X 1 billion).   So the amount of buyers and available cash is beyond comprehension.  IF Chinese money gets hot worldwide then a shortage of notes and silver pandas could happen quickly.  (Of course war w/ Syria could get real ugly as Russia and China have troops in Syria or on the way.)    The math is on the side of high quality and low supply.............

Offline james007

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »

10,000 different Chinese notes is alot.   100,000 mintage of a silver panda is alot.  Same old statistics.  When 1/5th of China's population can afford to buy, that is equal to the entire US population of over 300 million or 300,000,000 plus.   Now look at the population of the rest of the world that can buy Chinese money.   The available cash on the sidelines that is looking for Return On Investment is $ billions (1000 X 1 million) or $ trillions (1000 X 1 billion).   So the amount of buyers and available cash is beyond comprehension.  IF Chinese money gets hot worldwide then a shortage of notes and silver pandas could happen quickly.  (Of course war w/ Syria could get real ugly as Russia and China have troops in Syria or on the way.)    The math is on the side of high quality and low supply.............

You know the difference between me and you is obvious. You have been around the block a few times. And This is all new to me. All these technicalities about studying a note so much has hurt me in collecting. Thanks for showing up! That's why I try to tell everybody buy perfection. Because perfection runs out first. It just runs out faster 90's  Ana medals. I don't think we will be happening these conversations in a year. I do believe it will be season of the notes in the next couple years. The Scarcity is already there and If people decide to bid it maybe a huge war. Gem Uncirculated is going to be a something we are going to have to get used to.

Good Luck Everybody!

Offline PandaQuest

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »

1960 2 Yuan note-  My most recent Chinese note find, and also the most interesting note too. They range from $300 to $1000 graded PMG high grade, and have noticed there are two varieties. The regular version is called "stars" and what seems to be the more rare version is "stars and pants" which sounds really funny. And I have no idea what "pants" represent. I haven't been able to find good info explaining the difference between the two.
   The only thing different I see is there is some extra blue in background behind the green art work on right side of note next to the man working the printing press on "pants" version. But that's going off one "stars and pants"note, I could be way off on this one. If anyone has any info on this note I would greatly appreciate it. It doesn't seem really rare there are several examples on eBay, but the high grade ones being offered are not cheap by any means.

Offline PandaQuest

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
 N14

Offline digbird

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
N14

I don't know much about notes I confess, but sure do enjoy looking at them. They sure saw an increase in prices the last few years. I first saw them around 2010. Guess I missed the boat.

Thanks to James007 for bringing this thread to life for paper notes. cheers

Offline james007

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »
It's a posting night! Dig thanks for the Hello!!! Called you a dozen times today bud!

Offline james007

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
1960 2 Yuan note-  My most recent Chinese note find, and also the most interesting note too. They range from $300 to $1000 graded PMG high grade, and have noticed there are two varieties. The regular version is called "stars" and what seems to be the more rare version is "stars and pants" which sounds really funny. And I have no idea what "pants" represent. I haven't been able to find good info explaining the difference between the two.
   The only thing different I see is there is some extra blue in background behind the green art work on right side of note next to the man working the printing press on "pants" version. But that's going off one "stars and pants"note, I could be way off on this one. If anyone has any info on this note I would greatly appreciate it. It doesn't seem really rare there are several examples on eBay, but the high grade ones being offered are not cheap by any means.

Awesome note bud! I can't believe you may have a $1,000 note!!!

Offline PandaQuest

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »
I'm not sure if this is even Chinese, it was in a batch I picked up earlier today for next to nothing.  The only numbers I see are 100 and (29). I don't see a serial # or date. If anyone can read this note I'm interested to know what it says, and possibly figure out how to research this interesting piece. Thanks in advance and as always its greatly appreciated.

I'll be the first to admite it, I'm having a blast with this new hobbie. I guess after this past year of constantly going to local coin shows and stopping by coin shops and finding next to nothing, literally a hand full of decent coins it can brings you down. I've gone back to all my resources and have discovered almost all of them have a supply of Chinese notes put away and forgotten. Its a shame this fascinating and historical currency is neglected, but it leaves the door wide open for new opportunities!

Offline james007

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »
I have one! Extra Fine condition. I am so lazy! I really gotta put some pics up!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
Picked up 3 circulated notes for $5.  One is close to uncirculated but has a crease in center, so cannot grade it.  Why did I buy them?  As we all know the US dollar will buy less and the Chinese Yuan will buy more.    So why not own notes, even the so so ones.   Can't lose if the price is right.....

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »
Here we go! Please post pics!!

Here is a note at pmg right now.

Look at that date and quality! I won't sell a perfect Chinese note.

....can you tell us anything about the stamp???
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I'm not sure if this is even Chinese, it was in a batch I picked up earlier today for next to nothing.  The only numbers I see are 100 and (29). I don't see a serial # or date. If anyone can read this note I'm interested to know what it says, and possibly figure out how to research this interesting piece. Thanks in advance and as always its greatly appreciated.

I'll be the first to admite it, I'm having a blast with this new hobbie. I guess after this past year of constantly going to local coin shows and stopping by coin shops and finding next to nothing, literally a hand full of decent coins it can brings you down. I've gone back to all my resources and have discovered almost all of them have a supply of Chinese notes put away and forgotten. Its a shame this fascinating and historical currency is neglected, but it leaves the door wide open for new opportunities!

This is a 1945 100 Yuan CHINA JAPANESE OCCUPATION PUPPET BANK. The 100 Yuan is fairly common, but the 50 Yuan is very scarce, especially in high grades. I hope this helps.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
A member here sent me this link to Chinese paper notes and their values.  Not sure if values are up to date.  The link is a big help.  If anyone has another link for notes then please post........

http://www.atsnotes.com/banknotes/china.html

Offline AllSong

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
Just discovered this thread :-)

1.ATS is imo over market price. Must be a reason it was a pm...?!

2. Standard Catalog of world paper money, is quite usefull. However, notes like those from the Sino Scandinavian Bank and the Italian Banking Corporation are in the Specialized issue. Most pages are to be found through google books.

3. Using my handfone, so that will be all for now.
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 04:40:23 AM »
The "Stars" or "Stars and pants" refers to the watermark. The pants is for the "ancient Pu" (?). According to my book, the version with the 5 stars  is more scarce though.
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
The Junk Dollar(1932-1934) is quite famous, but was depicted on several banknotes aswell.

Here is a 5 Yuan 1935 issued by the Bank of Communications.

"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
I had a day home since I am sick, so what better cure is there, than taking out all coins and notes???
Here are two pics of most of my collection of notes.
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »
Even wg does not have that!  Or does he?   Nice collection.......

Offline AllSong

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 03:40:31 AM »
Thanks Pandamonium  :001_smile: I'm not sure about wg's paper money collection, but I know 100% he has a muuh wider collection of MCCs  N16
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline UkOd

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »
Hi to all)