Author Topic: Donglai Bank 1 yuan Shanghai token  (Read 1185 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Donglai Bank 1 yuan Shanghai token
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
Donglai Bank was one of the chinese national bank in China. It was founded by Liu Shan on 1st February 1918, headquartered in Qingdao, on Tianjin Road 7 in Shandong province.

The branch of Donglai Bank in Shanghai was located on No.39 Hunan Road. The building was built in 1914, but 1923 onwards Donglai bank.

In 1926 Donglai bank moved the head office from Qingdao to Tianjin. Later in 1928, year after year due warlord infighting and political instability Donglai bank severely affected by his losses , had been liquidated.

In 1930s, Shanghai became the financial center and on September 1933 the head office moved to Shanghai. The bank was still operating after the war. Donglai bank role was mainly deposits and loans, foreign exchange, foreign exchange and securities business.

Below there are few pictures of the Donglai bank headquarter in Shanghai.

Donglai bank used oval-shaped token. It was brass $1 token was previously the bank key card, picked up a reward. It is something like tantamount securities.

This token is VERY SCARCE! Except my specimen I know about existance of only 2 such of tokens. The token was issued probably in late 1920s or early 1930s.

You can find more information about Donglai bank in: "A History of Modern Shanghai Banking: The Rise and Decline of China's ..." by Zhaojin Ji, on page 129.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

Re: Donglai Bank 1 yuan Shanghai token
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:50 AM »
Like I said before, this token is very scarce.

I found the image of the other one which shows clear inscription in Chinese.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com