Author Topic: COIN GRADES CGS TO MS  (Read 2119 times)

Offline doublewrap

• Trade Count: (0)
COIN GRADES CGS TO MS
« on: July 30, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
Hi all, I thought this table may be of interest especially to the folks from Britain (of which I am one)  :001_smile: :001_smile: :001_smile:

This is a conversion table to compare grades between the British system C.G.S. (Coin Grading Service) and the Sheldon Scale  M.S. as widely used elsewhere.

I gleaned this information from my regular on line coin dealer, and thought it would be good to share the info to help promote the CGS brand in the U.K. I am reluctant to send my coins abroad to have them graded partly because of the cost/risk/customs etc  but now that I am able to compare these 2 systems for coin grading I think that I will get my collection graded at CGS in the U.K.  I only went down to MS60 grade in the list below, as lower grades for modern coins imo are not worth having.

(ps I have NO CONNECTION WITH CGS )

CGS Grading System
Observed read across grades to other systems
Based on observations after CGS have graded 25,000 coins March 2013

CGS Numerical Grade     Average Raw UK Grade   Average Standard USA Sheldon

100.......................................FDC........................................MS70
99.........................................FDC........................................MS70
98........................................ FDC....................................... MS70
97....................................... FDC........................................ MS70
96....................................... FDC........................................ M69
95....................................... FDC........................................ MS 68 -69
94...................................... AFDC........................................MS68
93 ......................................AFDC....................................... MS 67 -68
92...................................... AFDC....................................... MS67
91...................................... AFDC....................................... MS66 -67
90 ......................................NFDC .......................................MS 66
88.................................. BU -NFDC..................................... MS65 -66
85 ................................Choice UNC - BU ..............................MS 65
82 ................................Choice UNC .....................................MS 64 -65
80 ................................Choice UNC..................................... MS 64
78 .....................................UNC ..........................................MS 63 -64
75 ..............................UNC or near so.................................. MS 62 - 63
70 .....................................AU .............................................MS60 -61
65.................................... GEF ............................................MS60 -61

Offline flora79

Re: COIN GRADES CGS TO MS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing

Offline doublewrap

Re: COIN GRADES CGS TO MS
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
 flora79 Hi, you are most welcome I hope folks find it useful
 :001_smile: :001_smile: :001_smile: