Author Topic: Shanghai token's secret  (Read 1968 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Shanghai token's secret
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
Dear Shanghai token lovers, collectors and dealers,

Recently I was reviewing Philippine coins and one coin caught my attention N9.

This 5 centavos Philippine coin has similar appearance to one old Shanghai token (undated) with words on reverse "GOOD FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY" and at the center there are 3 letters "KMK". The token has 21mm in diameter it is silver-plated brass.

How to distinguish old Shanghai tokens before Japanese occupied Shanghai to those old Shanghai tokens during japanese occupation? Those from japanese occupation are mostly made of silver-plated brass or copper.

So this KMK amusement Shanghai token is definitely from 1930s or early 1940s. It is listed in red book from 2005: "The Chips and Coupons in old Shanghai" on page 68.

OK! My point is that it has similar look to this coin above. It has a muscular half naked man sitting with a hammer and watching eruption of vulcano.

I just want to share with you all about this as usual and maybe some of you will have some information what's a connection between this token and the coin.
Please feel free to share here.

Enjoy as always!
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Shanghai token's secret
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »
Dear Shanghai token lovers, collectors and dealers,

I found another Shanghai token which looks similar to some other coin.

The coin which has similar design is 20 centesimi 1922 (SCWC 1901-2000, KM#44):
http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=1598

When we will take a look on both pictures: Shanghai token and this Italian coin we can notice that they have 1 element similar.
The image of a man holding in his hand a blade of the crop. This element is not identical. On the token this image is more simple, but I think an idea of creating such of token came from this coin which were issued from 1908 to 1935.

This Shanghai token is common and you can find in a green book about Shanghai tokens from 1991, page 115 (image) and page 24 (description)

The coin in itself has also inscription L.Giorgi which also appears on a specimen of our fatman 1914.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)