Author Topic: First Strike Labels  (Read 1925 times)

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
First Strike Labels
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
A young neighbor of mine has recently become interested in collecting coins. Today he asked me what a First Strike Label meant. I was almost too embarrassed to tell him. I gave him the short version and sent him the below link that explained the gimmickry of the grading services. I believe that relying on grading services really does hurt collecting. Will a new collector ever learn to grade the coins he collects or rely on the grading services to do it for him/her. I began collecting long before the grading services came around and am glad of it. The greatest thing about the grading companies, IMO, is that the slabs protect the coins and when buying online( pc's another thing that didn't exist when I began collecting) you have at least "somewhat" of a guarantee that the coin will be what you are paying for. For the purists who keep their coins in OMP I can't say I blame them. As long as the coin is protected and not exposed to pvc or anything that can damage the coins I say why not! As everyone knows the grading services main reason for being in business is to make money, oftentimes at the expense of honesty.

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/a/first_strike_co.htm

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: First Strike Labels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
Good article.   Have seen the label but did not know........

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: First Strike Labels
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
As everyone knows the grading services main reason for being in business is to make money, oftentimes at the expense of honesty.

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/a/first_strike_co.htm

Give it time............. I see a new label on the horizon. "Last Strike"!

I can see it now.... "Now you can own both the first strike and last strike of this limited edition set. Only 5000 of these sets have been put together. Act now as these are based on first come first served".
And maybe in fine print you may see something like.... "more sets may be available based on demand"...
after all, the coins in these sets will be minted in the tens of millions such as the 2013 ASE.

exchange