Author Topic: COIN VS MEDAL MCC  (Read 18223 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: COIN VS MEDAL MCC
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
As a medal collector, I own one 67 and one 68.  The 67 was purchased in the coin market in Kowloon.  The 68 was purchased from a Norwegian dealer.  I submitted both to NGC for authentication, grading and encapsulation.  I will not be surprised if many more are sitting around in dealers or collectors closets.  A nice medal, but available with a little persistence.

Mark Bonke

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
As a medal collector, I own one 67 and one 68.  The 67 was purchased in the coin market in Kowloon.  The 68 was purchased from a Norwegian dealer.  I submitted both to NGC for authentication, grading and encapsulation.  I will not be surprised if many more are sitting around in dealers or collectors closets.  A nice medal, but available with a little persistence.

Mark Bonke

Thanks for your input, Mark. It is interesting to note that this medal is scattered all over the world.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
Maybe a lot of persistence.  For having a planned mintage of 16,000 it is rarely seen and soon sold.   (The 79 year of Child 35 Y coin is much more common and a mintage of 13,659.)  Another medal rarely seen is the 1979 3 silver medal Beijing (Olympic?) w/ 30,099 mintage.   The early silver medals must be in strong hands or their actual mintages are tiny.  Perhaps they are found at coin markets and not ebay........

Offline bonke

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
I purchased a 3-coin silver PRC 4th National Games Commemorative medals set at the Hong Kong coin show last summer.  A local dealer was offering it in the original box with the COA.  The medals did not grade well with Volleyball NGC PF67UC, Skating NGC PF66UC and Gymnastics NGC PF67UC.  If I get the chance, I will buy another set and try for higher grades.  Again, the mintage is shown to be very high and they should be readily available.  Mark Bonke

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
I purchased a 3-coin silver PRC 4th National Games Commemorative medals set at the Hong Kong coin show last summer.  A local dealer was offering it in the original box with the COA.  The medals did not grade well with Volleyball NGC PF67UC, Skating NGC PF66UC and Gymnastics NGC PF67UC.  If I get the chance, I will buy another set and try for higher grades.  Again, the mintage is shown to be very high and they should be readily available.  Mark Bonke
Mark, for early medals, high mintage =/= readily available. Some of the medals I listed in my Feng Yunming post had 3000-5000 mintage. But how often have they surfaced on the market? I know one eBay sale of the 12 piece set of the Exhibition of Archaeological Finds in Hong Kong (mintage 3000), and one sale of the 70th Anniversary of the Xinhai Revolution (mintage 15000), which I bought. Probably here and there you may run into one or another at shows or dealerships, but they are far from readily available.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
A dealer emailed me as he finally bought the 1979 3 coin 4th National Games silver medals......He was looking for over a year and purchased the set off ebay, possibly from Hong Kong.  He sells MCC and has many contacts in the US and China.  It was the first full set he could find.  I emailed several dealers in the US and China asking about the availability of the 1980 Bank of China medal.  They all stated it was a very rare medal to find.  My theory is that the early year coins are much more plentiful than the early year medals.   It seems the early year medals were more likely to be melted then the coins, no matter what the mintage was.  That is my conclusion.  However there could be a stash of them in Germany/Europe, Australia, Japan or elsewhere.  You know a heck of alot more about MCC then me and you get around the globe in search of them.  I think the early year medals are very rare due to melt, abuse or not being minted.  They maybe the best bang for the buck.............

Offline bonke

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
Obviously, I do not know what is readily available.  

As a small-time collector, I am a dreamer.  I hope new items are hiding in someone's closet, basement, safe, desk drawer or display case.  This dream, this hope, keeps me looking for something new for my collection.  When I finally discover something for my collection, I assume that if I have found it, it is probably readily available to everyone else.  

Mark Bonke

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »
Mark, I agree that these medals are somewhere, in somebody's drawer or closet or shoebox or basement. But they may not come to the surface anymore. Unlike coins, some of these medals were not sold. I doubt very much whether the Bank of China medal was ever sold. More likely they were gifts given away and so the recipient did not even think much about them, like Bearcat who stashed his extremely rare Palace Lantern brass medal somewhere, which was a gift from China Mint. He might not have thought much of it before seeing my post. Some of such medals might have been lost forever because people did not care for them. It is always a small miracle to dig one out from here and there, like what you have been doing.

Offline bonke

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »
I agree.  Over the past several years, I have read many posts from participants who carefully protect their identities and their interest in modern Chinese coins and medals.  I use the opposite approach.  I tell people about my hobby.  At times, this has led them to tell me about some item which they own and to ask me for information.  Then, I am forced to research the item.  Often, I can find little or nothing about an item and its value.  If they wish to sell, I try to determine a price which will be fair to them and fair to me.  It is always either too high or too low.  Over time, I find out whether it was truly a hidden treasure or a lemon disguised as a coin or medal.  I own many items which remain a mystery to me.  I own other items for which I paid a high price in a strong market and which now have little or no value.  The search is enjoyable.  The results are always surprising. 

To find the hidden treasures, the owner must know we are looking.

Mark Bonke

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 12:59:04 AM »
Mark, it would great if some of your mysteries could be shared. I can post pictures to Chinese sites to seek help identifying them.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
Mark, can you go out on a limb and post photos here on CCF?...........

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
NGC Census

There must be a happy collector(s) on the two gold 70.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 10:13:37 AM »
Recent sales:  1982 Bank of China PF 67 (second highest grade) sold for $424.09  ebay 321187895192     16,000 planned mintage but rarely available and most dealers say it is a very rare silver medal.  First Bank medal?     1979 Volleyball PF 69 (only 69?) sold for $465 ebay 321187953094   30,125 planned mintage buy offered on ebay once a year.   The Gymnastic PF 67 sold for $166.99 and the Figure skater sold for $114 same seller for all 3.  About $746 for all 3 in the set.   The 1979 set is still reasonable as it is first year of MCC.   The 1982 Bank of China may be a sleeper for now............

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »
Quite a few medals sold last night by same seller, these have very few graded:

1990 China Silver Special Admin Region Hong Kong Aerial View Medal NGC PF68UC, Mintage 5000, $142.49

1994 China Silver 1oz Economic Zones Deng XiaoPing Standing Medal NGC PF68UC, $260

1994 China Silver 1oz Economic Zones Deng XiaoPing Bust Medal NGC PF69UC, $360

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »
Some of the silver medals sold I have not seen.  The strangest of the bunch is the two 1994 PF 69 Door God colored silver medals that sold for about $300 both.  PCGS graded them and they say China peoples republic.  Are they China mint product?  VIP medal? Would PCGS grade a private mint product?  Ebay 221269910631  and   221269911449.  Did they color medals/coins in 94?  The silver panda color proofs were in 1997 and struck by China mint but colored by Swiss (if I remember correctly).  Another forum member could not find them in Huaong Ruiyong's list or in another Chinese publication.  Does anyone have any information on them?  The seller had some other graded medals that I did not know existed.....