Author Topic: Late to the eBay Bucks party?  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Late to the eBay Bucks party?
« on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
In response to some eBay marketing a few months ago, I signed up for the eBay Bucks program.

http://pages.ebay.com/rewards/faq.html

Today, I got an email saying that I had earned eBay Bucks and that I need to spend them in one month.  Do I understand correctly that if I have earned $200 eBay Bucks, I could now buy a $200 coin for free?!  (if I use Paypal and the coin has free shipping)  That's nice.

I see a post from a few years ago regarding eBay Bucks.  http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4036.0  Have they had this program continuously for the past few years?  If so, I missed out on a large number of eBay Bucks by not signing up earlier.

For those of you who have used eBay Bucks before, is there anything that you've learned that you can pass along as wisdom?

In looking at the fine print, everything looks OK.  I did notice the following, though:

"For example, to qualify, purchases must be...
Bought on the US eBay site (www.eBay.com). Some third-party automated bidding applications (sniping tools) are actually placing their bids on international sites as opposed to bidding on the US site directly. Purchases completed by these applications do not qualify to earn eBay Bucks. "

I know some people on this forum use sniping websites that are based outside of the US.  For example, http://www.snip.pl/en/ was mentioned recently and is based in Poland.  I was going to try that service, but I wonder if it bids on the US site directly or not?  Does anyone use this service and still earn eBay Bucks?

Thanks, and Happy Fourth of July to those in the US.   N47

Offline madmuley

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Late to the eBay Bucks party?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
You do have free money from ebay bucks. I have purchased a 1/4 oz. Gold coin at no cost to me with ebay bucks. It is a program all shoppers need to be signed up for

Offline james007

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
Love Ebucks! I bought a banknote book. $50.00 book. I think it cost me $10.00 after ebucks. I always look forward to quarterly ebucks.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
One strategy is to buy numismatic items one month...
Then use eBay bucks to buy bullion items the next month.
This way you diversify with numismatic coins that hold value and end up with bullion coins for free.

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »
ebay does state that purchases made in the coins and paper money category are not applicable, although it state that they only mean Bullion within that category. does anyone know what this means? ungraded coins are not eligible or what?

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
You don't get eBucks if coins, graded or not, are listed under the Bullion category. Some sellers of graded coins list them under bullion instead of coins and medals probably because of the difference in fees. So yes, eBucks is as nice as cash...but only if you get it. Either way, eBay will let you know during the checkout.

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
thanks for clearing that up dobedo- much appreciated!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
i believe it will tell you as you are bidding or right in the listing if what you are interested in qualifies for e bay bucks ,just got my e mail
$77 ,it is the same as cash in a pay pal check out ..............  birdman I have used gixen .com sniper and got my e bay bucks .....

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
No foreigners... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »
Sometimes eBay will offer a 24 hours double or triple eBay bucks program; means if your regular program is 2%, you will get 4% or 6% off.

I had a 6% 24 hours offer the other day.  I did not take advantage of the offer because I did not have anything to buy or any auction ending on that day  :(

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:17 AM »
Ebay bucks are great.  The only items you don't get them on is anything that has words bullion in the category title such as "Coins & Paper Money>Bullion>...." and items that are not listed on US-ebay and foreigner bidders. I have been collecting ebay bucks since 2011 and use them to buy Target or Darden gift cards.  

Snip bids earn ebay bucks.

There have been many outstanding programs that provide rebates for purchasing on ebay over the years.

1) 2008-2009 - Paypal offered 2% cash back for using you bank account for sending payments.  If you sent an echeck for $10,000 to a seller of a coin, the seller was charged $5 fee while buyer received $200 cash back.  This lasted for 9 months and very lucrative for those that had it - it was invitation only.

2) 2008-2009 - Bing offered 10%-30% cash back on ebay purchases, during November of 2008 almost everyday was 30%, with cap of $250 per transaction.  I remember buying 1996 1oz gold unicorns on ebay for below melt.

3) 2009-2011 - Ebates offered 3%-6% cash back on ebay purchases with initially no limit and then $60 per transaction limit in 2011, then ebay bucks started and they shut this promotion down.

4) 2011-now - Ebay bucks 2%-10% rebates on ebay purchases, with cap of $100 per transaction. It used to be $200 cap per transaction and for ebay auctions the fee used to be capped at $50, so ebay was losing money on this program for the first year on big transaction. I get promotions for double, triple ebay bucks and sometimes 10% ebay bucks all with cap of $100.

5) 2008-now - I use US BANK flex perk credit card for my ebay purchases, it give me 3% rebate towards travel (higher percent for some purchases like grocery and gas).  For example, if you spend $10,000 you  get 15,000 points, which can be used to buy a $300 ticket on Travelocity. You can buy tickets for anyone with your coins, not just for yourself.

While I am not a big fan of ebay as a seller due to the high fess, I am a big fan of buying on ebay.  When you look at all the rebates ebay pays out you can understand why the fees are so high.

Arif

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:48:05 AM »
Anyone recalled the Microsoft Cashback Program back in 2008-2009.  The percentage could be up to 35% at some point.  It was sweet back then.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 02:06:57 AM »

2) 2008-2009 - Bing offered 10%-30% cash back on ebay purchases, during November of 2008 almost everyday was 30%, with cap of $250 per transaction.  I remember buying 1996 1oz gold unicorns on ebay for below melt.

Forgot that Bing is Microsoft  :biggrin:.  You know what they said about getting old.  First thing to go is memory.

I believe first was Microsoft Cashback, then renamed to MS Bing Cashback.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:27 AM »
Sometimes eBay will offer a 24 hours double or triple eBay bucks program; means if your regular program is 2%, you will get 4% or 6% off.

I had a 6% 24 hours offer the other day.  I did not take advantage of the offer because I did not have anything to buy or any auction ending on that day  :(

4) 2011-now - Ebay bucks 2%-10% rebates on ebay purchases, with cap of $100 per transaction. It used to be $200 cap per transaction and for ebay auctions the fee used to be capped at $50, so ebay was losing money on this program for the first year on big transaction. I get promotions for double, triple ebay bucks and sometimes 10% ebay bucks all with cap of $100.

Are these sweetened (>2%) eBay bucks deals available to all participants, or is it a targeted marketing to certain individuals.  I don't recall getting any notice about a 6% promotion recently?  If you see that in the future, please try to remember to give a heads up reply to this thread.  Thanks.

5) 2008-now - I use US BANK flex perk credit card for my ebay purchases, it give me 3% rebate towards travel (higher percent for some purchases like grocery and gas).  For example, if you spend $10,000 you  get 15,000 points, which can be used to buy a $300 ticket on Travelocity. You can buy tickets for anyone with your coins, not just for yourself.

Although your US BANK flex perk card may be a wonderful exception (I'll have to look into it), I've unfortunately had bad experiences with travel perk programs (if it wasn't blackout dates, it was some other deceptive restriction that made me wonder why I signed up).  Accordingly, I just make sure that all my paypal purchase use my Chase Freedom credit card (1% cash back), instead of the default Paypal draft from checking.  One percent doesn't sound like much, but it adds up, and before you know it you have a couple hundred dollars cash.  I cash it out as soon as it accumulates, so they can't renege on their promised reward.  For instance, I remember years ago I had accumulated a large number of airline frequent flier miles on a credit card, saving them for some big trip.  One day without warning, however, the airline inflated its miles so that a given ticket required something like 30,000 miles instead of the former 15,000.  The miles lost 1/2 of their value in one day! (and then they also later came up with the idea of expiring miles).   I've soured to frequent flier mile programs ever since, and have leaned instead towards immediate cash back.  Also, I don't travel as much now, so I can't always use the miles promptly; I can always use cash for some new coin!

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
I love eBay bucks - I've gotten so many coins either half off, or for 10-20% of their actual cost, using eBay bucks and the Bing Cashback program when it was in effect.  But I know a lot of people that haven't gotten them - do we know for sure whether the program is available to everyone, or does eBay have to invite you?    I've talked to so many of my own customers who had no idea about them, and they don't see the eBay Bucks Savings message under the bid price when they go to buy something.   I turned Cho of Namchong Coins onto eBay Bucks last year - he'd never heard of them either.   I always thought everyone in the USA got them, but apparently that's not the case and I don't know why some people do and some don't but it would be helpful to know.

And yes, Birdman, those special "double bucks" and "triple bucks" and the "10% off any item today" promotions only go out to targeted accounts - I think mostly accounts that are somewhat inactive.  I never get those offers on my business eBay ID, but I get them all the time on my personal eBay ID which is much less active.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com