Author Topic: Fat man Silver Dollar, Observe on both sides - Please help!!!  (Read 5040 times)

Offline sculpto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Hi, just wondering if someone could help me.

I have a 1914 Chinese Fatman Silver Dollar and both sides of the coin have the observe (the man's side pose).
I found that coin in a junk yard and I am not sure whether it's a minting error or just a replica. There are no Chinese letterings or characters on the back apart from what's showing on the observe.
Also the heads on both sides are not medal-turn or both up, if one is 90 degree the other one on the back will be 45 degree approximately.

Please help me solving the mystery of this coin. Thanks a million.

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Fat man Silver Dollar, Observe on both sides - Please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
Dear sculpto,

Welcome on this Chinese Coin Forum:)

Let me help you with this one...

Your fatman dollar 1914 is not genuine coin. It is very crude made fake.
I believe that such of error 1 dollar size coins exist, but they are rare and I haven't seen any for sell so far.
The question is, does you fatman "dollar" is really the dollar size.
For the appearance it looks like 50 cents. 6 chinese characters look like it is a replica of 50 cents rather than 1 dollar. Please take a look on my genuine piece and compare the characters above Yuan Shih Kai's head. You should measure a diameter of your coin. Dollar size fatmans have 39mm in diameter.
Why I also think it is the replica of 50 cents not 1 dollar, please take a look on inner teeth. On the dollar size coin there should be bigger inner teeth and smaller inner teeth between them (example: |.|.|.) but on your coin there are no smaller inner teeth, that's why I think it is 50 cents fake coin. Please take a look on the appearance of teeth on my 1 dollar 1914 to compare with your coin. Lucky, for you that you didn't have to spend money on it, but only found it. This piece should be an educational sample for you, so if you are going to start collect old Chinese silver coins. You should be always very careful.

Greetings from Shanghai:)

KONDi
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline sculpto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Dear Kondi

Thanks ever so much and I am now totally convinced that my fat man isn't a genuine piece. I am totally new to all this but thanks again for explaining it in such an brilliant way.

Regards

Alex (UK)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
You are welcome:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)