Author Topic: Very bad news for French citizens  (Read 5049 times)

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
Re: Very bad news for French citizens
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
james007, your post is a shining example of how benighted some US citizens can be about "furriner" countries.
- France does not use the French Franc since 1999...
- Zimbabwe was a British colony, France usually does not have much economic ties with it compared to Mali, Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroun...
- Immigrants never send hard currency through the mail to their home country. This is unsafe. They either do bank transfers or use financial services like Western Union.
- It was already technically illegal to send cash through the mail, it was extended to cover precious metals as well.

The ban on cash was technically never enforced, the problem was mostly postmen who would steal it from the mail if they found it, without penalty since it is illegal. The idea behind the original ban is to hinder the local black economy, which cannot be taxed. I think they extended it to precious metal due to the proliferation of shady cash for gold companies after the 2007 economic crash.

Also, the cliche about African countries being dependant of the charity of western countries or immigrants saving the day is really trite... Nigeria is doing pretty well recently, in the next decades we are likely to see a renaissance of the continent.

Offline james007

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »
Yes I forgot about the euro. 

My example of U.S. immigrants is well recorded please don't argue it. I know a million people that take thousands in cash with them when they go back to there homeland.
So if you haven't lived among Hispanic and Middle eastern people I don't think you have it right.

As per countries being dependent on the U.S. I never said that. I was talking about immigrant workers sending money back to mom and dad or wife and kids.
This is individual help.
And yes I do believe parts of Africa need help.

Offline james007

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »
BTW did you call me racist with that benighted term?

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
I'm not calling you a racist, it would just have been nice if you researched the topic a little before expressing such strong opinion about it.

Immigrants in France come in the vast majority from West Africa and the Maghreb (former French colonies). They may also take cash with them when visiting family or going home abroad, but they never send it by mail (the topic of this thread).

This law is all about making life harder for shady "cash for gold" websites and a deterrent for people wanting to skirt sales taxes. It doesn't change much in practice, this law is only "enforced" by dishonnest postmen, or used against you if mailing cash/PMs was part of a shady business model.

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
BTW, two weeks ago I asked a friend in Paris to send one of my medieval gold coins to another friend in Amiens as a gift. It arrived without a hitch, you just have to pack it well. There is really not much to fret over.

Offline james007

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
I'm not calling you a racist, it would just have been nice if you researched the topic a little before expressing such strong opinion about it.

Immigrants in France come in the vast majority from West Africa and the Maghreb (former French colonies). They may also take cash with them when visiting family or going home abroad, but they never send it by mail (the topic of this thread).

This law is all about making life harder for shady "cash for gold" websites and a deterrent for people wanting to skirt sales taxes. It doesn't change much in practice, this law is only "enforced" by dishonnest postmen, or used against you if mailing cash/PMs was part of a shady business model.

I didn't research it. Because I am middle eastern and my friends are Mexican. I worked in a liquor store for 25 years. On top of that all my relatives go party once a year in the middle east before the wars. And when they go they get visited by family members wanting to give money to relatives.

My Mexican friends send money every month to Mexico. Plenty of ways to get money there. But wiring is a big percentage of the cash.

Thanks for the clear up Dragon! Glad you got your coins mailed. I believe I am going to pack better before mailing to France also.

Offline pandacoins

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 03:10:27 AM »
They want to discourage ownership of real money and instead have you keep your savings in fiat that they can devalue at will by infinite printing. If you are looking for an answer more complicated than that you wont find it as there is none.

France has a huge following in Numismatics. Why would the French Government commit such a act?