Author Topic: New Member w/Coins to Rate  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Jim Patten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
New Member w/Coins to Rate
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:21:02 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new!  My father was in Hong Kong with the U.S. Navy on the Ohio Destroyer in the late 30's.  He brought back a bunch of Chinese Republic/IndoChine coins, put them in a box (still in the same box, since 1939) and gave them to me, when I was 9 years old (I collected old U.S. silver coins).  I kept them in the same box stuffed away for over 53 years and decided to take them out for fun; never gave them a second thought.  I've taken some pictures of them and will post soon for your review.  There seems to be a ton of experts on this site, so I'm hoping we'll all have some fun with them (37 coins).  I did notice a lot of info on "fakes."  When did fakes start coming out?  Hopefully, it was after 1940!  Thanks for having me!

Jim

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Re: New Member w/Coins to Rate
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new!  My father was in Hong Kong with the U.S. Navy on the Ohio Destroyer in the late 30's.  He brought back a bunch of Chinese Republic/IndoChine coins, put them in a box (still in the same box, since 1939) and gave them to me, when I was 9 years old (I collected old U.S. silver coins).  I kept them in the same box stuffed away for over 53 years and decided to take them out for fun; never gave them a second thought.  I've taken some pictures of them and will post soon for your review.  There seems to be a ton of experts on this site, so I'm hoping we'll all have some fun with them (37 coins).  I did notice a lot of info on "fakes."  When did fakes start coming out?  Hopefully, it was after 1940!  Thanks for having me!

Jim

Welcome.  We look forward to your photos.  In answer to your question, "when did fakes start coming out?,"  I think that depends on which fakes you are talking about.  People have been trying to make fake coins for hundreds of years.  As technology advances, they can get better at it...

Offline Dragon88

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:13 AM »
Welcome Jim

Offline jinsun2000

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
Good to have you