Author Topic: Peter Anthony Article. May 14, 2013 in NGC Newsletter  (Read 1459 times)

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Peter Anthony Article. May 14, 2013 in NGC Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
As always … a nice article by Peter, it’s awesome to keep articles like this out there and going for MCC exposure to not only update the veterans of MCC but also to bring attention to the newbies out there still exploring what coins they may consider collecting. 

The quote below was taken from the article in the posted link …
“Besides the 1 oz. platinum coin there were three smaller platinum Pandas struck in 1990: a 50 Yuan ½ oz., a 25 Yuan ¼ oz. and a 10 Yuan 1/10 oz. Their mintages are 2,500, 3,500 and 4,500 respectively. The three were sold together as a set that was marketed in a Plexiglas Capital Plastics-style holder. The holder must have protected the coins well because the NGC Census shows that 88% of the coins graded are in Proof 69 or Proof 70 condition.”

In reference to the Platinum Panda set mentioned here … I actually bought this set from underbidder about two years ago and I still have it. It’s absolutely gorgeous. I’ve always resisted the temptation to free these coins from their beautiful display box with Plexiglas cover to submit for NGC grading, I almost succumbed to this temptation but I could never bring myself to actually do it.   

This is one of my favorite panda sets and one amongst a few others that I’ll never have graded. I would recommend to anyone that enjoys the panda sets to put this one your bucket list. It’s a stunning set with a gorgeous display box.

I’ve also written the name/email of the great guy who sold it to me on a piece paper and slipped it into the outer box holding the set with a note to my wife and son “make sure if this set is ever sold … check with this person first” … it’s always good to keep stuff like this “in the family”  ;)