Author Topic: Re: Nick Brown  (Read 17416 times)

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Nick Brown
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Doesn’t seem to be very appropriate to denigrate the cancer center that Nick’s family has asked that donations be made to … for all we know it could have possibly been a wish of Nick’s.

Either way … donate where you feel is best to make you feel better but constantly bashing this cancer center IN THIS THREAD is not very appropriate. It’s not respectful at all.   

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Re: Nick Brown
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Doesn’t seem to be very appropriate to denigrate the cancer center that Nick’s family has asked that donations be made to … for all we know it could have possibly been a wish of Nick’s.

Either way … donate where you feel is best to make you feel better but constantly bashing this cancer center IN THIS THREAD is not very appropriate. It’s not respectful at all.   

Ditto what comeaux says.

I'll add. I have been to Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NY hundreds of times. I have been a supporter of Sloan-Kettering for 30 odd years. Special people work in Cancer centers. Cancer is devastating to not only the patients but to all their friends and kin. Any donation towards a cure for cancer is in the interest of everyone. I know of too many people who have died from cancer. I too have a tumor as I type this post. Remember more then 50% of cancers today can be cured. With support maybe in our lifetime we can see this near 100%. Too many die too soon from this insidious disease.

Offline Dr650rob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
Wow what a major loss
I met nick at the Philly fair of money and he seemed like such a great guy
My prayers go out to his family

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
Ditto what comeaux says.

I'll add. I have been to Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NY hundreds of times. I have been a supporter of Sloan-Kettering for 30 odd years. Special people work in Cancer centers. Cancer is devastating to not only the patients but to all their friends and kin. Any donation towards a cure for cancer is in the interest of everyone. I know of too many people who have died from cancer. I too have a tumor as I type this post. Remember more then 50% of cancers today can be cured. With support maybe in our lifetime we can see this near 100%. Too many die too soon from this insidious disease.

Advances ARE being made and need to be supported.  It is amazing sometimes- a close familiy member with a normally very aggresive cancer is taking a custom low-dose chemo cocktail tailor-made for them, its been two years now living a surprisingly normal life,  whereas diagnosis initially was for maybe only two to four months!

GDG - pulling for you for the best results- hang in there-
this planet needs all the top-quality people it can get!   N31
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
Comeaux "It’s not respectful at all"

And THIS THREAD is a place to lecture me about RESPECT??

Gimme a break. As if you know.

The family said "in lieu of gifts". I was never planning on a gift. I did something that was superior to their gift alternative. Face it. You know nothing. Next you will tell me you spoke to his ghost.

I have more experience with MSK than you will ever have. My company financed a company with patented cancer technology. We put in $10 million. We spent most of that money testing at MSK. The drugs passed with flying colors. Effective at ovarian, breast, colon, lung, etc. Some cancers had 50-100% kill rates. Yet MSK never took it anywhere. We had people in 2007 who were just diagnosed with cancer thinking they would get human trials. MSK never conducted human trials. Thanks MSK.

And if anyone thinks cancer has no place here on this forum, then why are you posting a cancer death here? If you have a problem with my posts go complain to the person who first posted the word "cancer" in this thread in the first place. This thread is about the cause of death of a rather youngish leader of the MCC community, and its a loss, and you want to censor this discussion? Then as I said, if it doesn't belong, don't post it!

Everyone complaining about my posts belongs in etiquette school. Sheesh! You people are friggin' unreal tonight!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »
I think that if Nick knew that a donation had been made in his name to Greenpeace instead of Sloan-Kettering he would get a good laugh out of it. Then pause, and laugh again. I suggest that everyone lighten up. I once wrote an article and asked Nick for his opinion. He said he liked the article but that I forgot to add, "have fun"  to the conclusion. He was, as usual, right. So do as the man said...please.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »
Everybody is understandably upset and mourning Nick’s untimely death. Let’s remain focused as a group in sharing our memories of Nick and expressing our feelings of deep sorrow and sadness. Everyone’s contributions and opinions are a personal matter and should not be misconstrued as an attack in any way. While I highly respect both comeaux’s and davidt3251’s opinions in this matter, this is a “battle” that has no constructive place in this thread about Nick Brown. Maybe we can discuss MSK or cancer research in a separate thread, possibly under “Other Specialized Topics”. It is always enlightening to hear new information on a popular subject from someone possessing specialized information. I am sure that the thread would receive both pro and con posts. In the end, we all continue to learn! Thank you.

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
Another healthy, athletic young man falls to cancer.  Same as my loving sister and so many other friends and family members.  How much resources have been spent on trying to find a cure w/ at times minimal results?  (on the news there are some promising possible cures) I think it is caused by our polluted water and altered food supplies........ 

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
Although I’m quite shocked at some comments here … agreed this thread is all about honoring Nick.

I’m not making another comment in this thread other than to reiterate what I and others have said … my sincere condolences to Nick’s family/friends.  N48   

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
Although I had asked him for his sound and blunt advice a few times, I was only ever fortunate enough to have made one transaction with Nick Brown.
By "fortunate" I mean first:
I was fortunate in that I even had enough funds to make this one transaction with Nick.
And second:
I was fortunate to have even succeeded as a buyer because I had to actually WORK at getting him to sell to me.
Nick was a true collector. His coins were almost like family as (in my experience) he would rather keep them if he didn't think they were going to be given a good home.

People like Nick epitomize the finest qualities of a numismatist. Nick collected what he loved, shared his hobby freely with others, and always reminded everyone to not lose sight of having fun. In my experience, his coins were ones he believed in and he cared about the coins and the progression of the hobby in a way you don't see from dealers who focus on sheer profit and don't primarily collect. Nick had a wealth of information as well as an unparalleled passion for coins. He will be dearly missed.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Although I had asked him for his sound and blunt advice a few times, I was only ever fortunate enough to have made one transaction with Nick Brown.
By "fortunate" I mean first:
I was fortunate in that I even had enough funds to make this one transaction with Nick.
And second:
I was fortunate to have even succeeded as a buyer because I had to actually WORK at getting him to sell to me.
Nick was a true collector. His coins were almost like family as (in my experience) he would rather keep them if he didn't think they were going to be given a good home.

People like Nick epitomize the finest qualities of a numismatist. Nick collected what he loved, shared his hobby freely with others, and always reminded everyone to not lose sight of having fun. In my experience, his coins were ones he believed in and he cared about the coins and the progression of the hobby in a way you don't see from dealers who focus on sheer profit and don't primarily collect. Nick had a wealth of information as well as an unparalleled passion for coins. He will be dearly missed.

Great story PH !!!

I love hearing these kinds of stories and the one from Danny !

Offline didochili

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
I met Nick in 2009. The first coin I bought from him should be the matte silver year of the child. Before that, I've seen his eBay listings. After the first purchase, he introduced me to his web shop and I made a few more purchases.

He invited me to Medinah a couple of times for lunch. Once he brought two suitcases of slabbed MCC coins. He's always very enthusiastic when talking about Chinese coins. Initially I thought he was just a great salesman, but with time, I realize he just really loves coin collecting.

He told me how he worked with NGC on developing the oversized slabs for MCC. He's especially proud of the slab which allows people to see the edge - some coins have serial numbers on their edges and the slab allows people to see them. He also said how copper spots can be easily removed. He also said he believes all the MCC coins should be conserved first before grading, as even when there is no visible flaws (such as copper spots), there could be other residues on the surface. I do not agree with that point, but anyways, that's one thing I remember he told me.

I wish I could have talked to Nick more. He's a great person.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
I went to the wake in Chicago for Nick Brown this afternoon. It was attended by several hundreds of people – standing room only. The actual funeral will be tomorrow morning. I'll try and take a few photos to share with the Forum.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline dobedo

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Chicago Tribune:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?pid=164806029#fbLoggedOut

Thanks for posting.  Although I had a few email exchanges with Nick, I never had the pleasure of meeting him.  This summary gives me additional glimpses into his life.  I hadn't known he was such an athlete.  A sad loss indeed.