Author Topic: Re: Nick Brown  (Read 17134 times)

Offline storm

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Nick Brown
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »
Shock! The last time I spoke to him was May 2nd and the last e-mail I got from him was May 8th! Then he left us forever!
I consider him as one of the best collectors/dealers in the US. His coins have prices, but his contribution to MCC is priceless.
I truly miss him. I think all my Chinese collector and dealer friends will miss him too!
Rest in Peace

Offline PandaWill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Re: Nick Brown
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
nick was always a great guy to me and helpful whenever i talked to him at shows or asked him questions about his coins. 
amazing Chinese coin collection, i was always envious.
rest in peace

Offline mcc168

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
RIP. My most sincere condolences to his family.It is a very sad day.

Offline skyline2go

• Trade Count: (+10)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
It is a sad day... RIP.
It is a great loss to the MCC community.

Offline dannypeer

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:18 AM »
Nick Brown. My name is Danny Spungen....I rarely go on the Forum but it's an honor to make a posting now (I think my first).  I met Nick in my 1st year of college.  Nick met my Hamster (or Gerbil) named "Yofi" in the hallway in the middle of the night when it was rolling in a plastic ball.  We became best friends fast....playing backgammon, drinking, talking USA coins, becoming roommates for a short time in Theta Chi (I dropped out after painting a rock red all night and then doing poorly in an Economics exam).  Nick remained one of my 5 best friends of all time. I will never sell my 1907 $20 High Relief PCGS MS64 that he talked me into buying...even though he sold his 1921-D half dollar I sold him thinking he would never sell it.  It was Drew Tucci who told me to buy my first 1982 1 oz panda MS63 for $3,015. I then sold 2 pieces to Nick...the same grade...we did not know any better only dealing with USA coins.  Nick went on to king of the "big" Chinese coins...I found my home with the yearly pandas.  I last played backgammon with Nick on April 17th and took pictures using gold, platinum and silver coins as chips...one was the Shanghai Ghetto Memory medal "specimen" that I "borrowed" from the Shanghai Mint.  I am in China now with Drew and Nirat L. ....but half my heart and mind are at home with Nick's family whom we are in touch with daily. It breaks me a bit to be away but I just could not get back.  Nick passed away Monday 6:30pm when I was on the plane (7:30am Tuesday morning China time).   Danny Spungen

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Nick Brown. My name is Danny Spungen....I rarely go on the Forum but it's an honor to make a posting now (I think my first).  I met Nick in my 1st year of college.  Nick met my Hamster (or Gerbil) named "Yofi" in the hallway in the middle of the night when it was rolling in a plastic ball.  We became best friends fast....playing backgammon, drinking, talking USA coins, becoming roommates for a short time in Theta Chi (I dropped out after painting a rock red all night and then doing poorly in an Economics exam).  Nick remained one of my 5 best friends of all time. I will never sell my 1907 $20 High Relief PCGS MS64 that he talked me into buying...even though he sold his 1921-D half dollar I sold him thinking he would never sell it.  It was Drew Tucci who told me to buy my first 1982 1 oz panda MS63 for $3,015. I then sold 2 pieces to Nick...the same grade...we did not know any better only dealing with USA coins.  Nick went on to king of the "big" Chinese coins...I found my home with the yearly pandas.  I last played backgammon with Nick on April 17th and took pictures using gold, platinum and silver coins as chips...one was the Shanghai Ghetto Memory medal "specimen" that I "borrowed" from the Shanghai Mint.  I am in China now with Drew and Nirat L. ....but half my heart and mind are at home with Nick's family whom we are in touch with daily. It breaks me a bit to be away but I just could not get back.  Nick passed away Monday 6:30pm when I was on the plane (7:30am Tuesday morning China time).   Danny Spungen

From the heart. The funeral is Friday and I so wish you could be there.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »
In lieu of flowers Nick's family requests that donations be made to:

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Development Office
c/o Lauren Cooler for Dr. Rosenberg's Bladder Cancer Research
633 3rd Ave. 28th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
I posted the sad news on Chinese jibi and baoquan sites. I never met or bought from Nick, but could still feel his positive impact on MCC. RIP.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
I posted the sad news on Chinese jibi and baoquan sites. I never met or bought from Nick, but could still feel his positive impact on MCC. RIP.

Thank you Fwang. I know that the sadness will be multiplied. Such a huge loss to so many in so many ways........

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
I never met Nick but every time we spoke on the phone he was very helpful. I am sure his spirit will still guide the industry, but such a young market needs leaders like him.

Nick was young. Too young. Regrettably, after Fukushima, I don't donate to any cancer research or cancer causes until such cancer cause/researcher openly investigates the impact of radiation emissions on the explosion of cancer worldwide. I donate to honest operators.  (For example, the N. American Cancer Societies haven't published much in the way of data, or lobbied against nuke power,even after Three Mile Island or Chernobyl or Fukushima. The silence is deafening). If we continue to fight climate change with nuke power, and the trajectory of cancers continues (including childhood cancers), I am convinced we will see devastating effects on society. I mean, how many years are we supposed to 'study cancer' when the Japanese government has disclosed that even today the ongoing releases of radiation continue at Fukushima and the level is about the equivalent of 100 Hiroshima bombs going off daily on this planet.

My friends and family get angry when I am not surprised to see healthy active people die at a young age of cancer. (In some western nations, the death rate to cancer is already 50%)I tell them we should expect it. Only then can we make an unemotional assessment of all the factors in the cancer-causing world we have created.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »

.. until such cancer cause/researcher openly investigates the impact of radiation emissions on the explosion of cancer worldwide. I donate to honest operators.  (For example, the N. American Cancer Societies haven't published much in the way of data, or lobbied against nuke power,even after Three Mile Island or Chernobyl or Fukushima. The silence is deafening). If we continue to fight climate change with nuke power, and the trajectory of cancers continues (including childhood cancers), I am convinced we will see devastating effects on society. I mean, how many years are we supposed to 'study cancer' when the Japanese government has disclosed that even today the ongoing releases of radiation continue at Fukushima and the level is about the equivalent of 100 Hiroshima bombs going off daily on this planet.

My friends and family get angry when I am not surprised to see healthy active people die at a young age of cancer. (In some western nations, the death rate to cancer is already 50%)I tell them we should expect it. Only then can we make an unemotional assessment of all the factors in the cancer-causing world we have created.

Agreed, and the astounding increase in cancer rates should floor us and motivate us into immediate action, but it hasnt.  Rates have skyrocket from cancer being rare, and even fifty years ago uncommon, to now figures being almost one-in-three, and at the current trend may hit your assumption of expecting 100%.  There are lots of factors, and stats are never bedrock, but basic analysis shows something seriously wrong is going on.
The info about Fukashima should startle us into action. This type of radiation, even if its a fraction of what is quoted, cant be good for the planet. It would be sad end for humanity for alien beings in the future to encounter a dead planet Earth.
How close to a 100% cancer rate would it take to get the population away from their TVs for just a few minutes once a week, to lobby their reps, march on state capitals even by remote video gatherings, to try and force action by their lawmakers?
Seeing the malaise and apathy of the TV slaves our people have become,
My money is on the cockroaches.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
Far too young, it seems.

It is always a bit of a shock when such an apparently healthy individual is taken so soon.

All a person can ask for, is that in one's limited lifetime any talent be shared and enjoyed, I am confident his

accomplishments and his legacy will continue to positively affect many. 
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »

633 3rd Ave. 28th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Thanks for posting this information Peter. I was honored to donate in the memory of Nick.

For those intersted it is very easy to make a donation through their website ...

http://www.mskcc.org/giving

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »

633 3rd Ave. 28th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017

Well, I knew Nick, I didnt know his family. I believe Nick would want us to think for ourselves.

After considering that Memorial Sloan-Kettering was founded by the Rockefellers, and observing the lack of progress made by Memorial Sloan-Kettering in advancing very successful cancer drugs that showed much promise in the lab (and you cant tell me the Rockefellers are short of money), I decided Nick would want me to donate elsewhere in his memory.

Therefore I made a donation to Greenpeace.