Author Topic: Re: Nick Brown  (Read 15815 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Nick Brown
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »
Dear friends,

It is my sad duty to announce that Nick Brown, the President of Majestic Rarities, passed away today. He was one of the great positive influences on the development of modern Chinese coin collecting, both in the USA and Asia, and his presence and vision will be sorely missed. I will miss him most of all as a friend.

I will add more details about Nick's life and accomplishments in the next issue of China Pricepedia and World Coin News.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:04:38 AM »
That is indeed sad news.

My most sincere condolences to his familiy and those who were closest to him.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
Re: Re: Nick Brown
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:07 AM »
This is very sudden and saddening. Best wishes to his family.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:06 AM »
A true gentleman very sad. condolences, he loved MCC and was always willing to give a person sage advise even when it had nothing to do with making a sale......he will be missed

Offline sbeverly

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:37:25 AM »
Nick always had a warm smile and friendly greeting.
He will be missed.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
That's indeed a great loss. I got one of my very early coins from him, and have been a fan of his blog ever since. He will be missed.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »
I am saddened to hear of the sudden loss.  We will all miss Nick...  
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline dobedo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »
See Nick and some of his coins...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWjHD6XMUI

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 12:03:07 PM »
Miss that guy .........................at the Philadelphia ANA show ,I had a pretty rare coin in my pocket and I went to Nick to ask his advise on grading and so on ,his phone was constantly ringing like in the video ,but he kept hanging it up ,so he could give me his undivided attention, and I am sure those phone calls where more important to him than me at the time,  as I was not buying anything or selling anything just looking for expert advise ,a class act Nick was for sure, that video brings a tear to my eye......................

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
I can not really believe it! He was larger than life...it is a great loss personally and to MCC community.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 01:18:37 PM »
WOW !!! What happened to Nick ??? This is horrible and shocking news …

I’m very disappointed that I never got to meet Nick … what a huge loss for his family and all of us in the MCC world.

Sincere condolences to Nick’s family ... rest in peace Nick   

Offline pandaccumulator

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
What a great loss! Nick will be missed forever.....

Offline qiancoins

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Nick is a very nice guy!!
Wish him RIP! I will miss him...
Qian's Coins & Collectibles (CCE Member & NGC Authorized Dealer)

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I too dealt with Nick, and he was a class act! He honored a promise he made 6 months after the fact! I wish to offer my most sincere condolences to his family. This hobby is better because of him.

Offline pandaguy212

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+20)
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
My sincere condolences go out to Nick's family. He was by far one of the nicest people i met in the MCC business, a true gentleman. This is an irreplaceable loss to our community. 

He will be greatly missed

Offline storm

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »
Shock! The last time I spoke to him was May 2nd and the last e-mail I got from him was May 8th! Then he left us forever!
I consider him as one of the best collectors/dealers in the US. His coins have prices, but his contribution to MCC is priceless.
I truly miss him. I think all my Chinese collector and dealer friends will miss him too!
Rest in Peace

Offline PandaWill

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
nick was always a great guy to me and helpful whenever i talked to him at shows or asked him questions about his coins. 
amazing Chinese coin collection, i was always envious.
rest in peace

Offline mcc168

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
RIP. My most sincere condolences to his family.It is a very sad day.

Offline skyline2go

• Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
It is a sad day... RIP.
It is a great loss to the MCC community.

Offline dannypeer

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:18 AM »
Nick Brown. My name is Danny Spungen....I rarely go on the Forum but it's an honor to make a posting now (I think my first).  I met Nick in my 1st year of college.  Nick met my Hamster (or Gerbil) named "Yofi" in the hallway in the middle of the night when it was rolling in a plastic ball.  We became best friends fast....playing backgammon, drinking, talking USA coins, becoming roommates for a short time in Theta Chi (I dropped out after painting a rock red all night and then doing poorly in an Economics exam).  Nick remained one of my 5 best friends of all time. I will never sell my 1907 $20 High Relief PCGS MS64 that he talked me into buying...even though he sold his 1921-D half dollar I sold him thinking he would never sell it.  It was Drew Tucci who told me to buy my first 1982 1 oz panda MS63 for $3,015. I then sold 2 pieces to Nick...the same grade...we did not know any better only dealing with USA coins.  Nick went on to king of the "big" Chinese coins...I found my home with the yearly pandas.  I last played backgammon with Nick on April 17th and took pictures using gold, platinum and silver coins as chips...one was the Shanghai Ghetto Memory medal "specimen" that I "borrowed" from the Shanghai Mint.  I am in China now with Drew and Nirat L. ....but half my heart and mind are at home with Nick's family whom we are in touch with daily. It breaks me a bit to be away but I just could not get back.  Nick passed away Monday 6:30pm when I was on the plane (7:30am Tuesday morning China time).   Danny Spungen

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Nick Brown. My name is Danny Spungen....I rarely go on the Forum but it's an honor to make a posting now (I think my first).  I met Nick in my 1st year of college.  Nick met my Hamster (or Gerbil) named "Yofi" in the hallway in the middle of the night when it was rolling in a plastic ball.  We became best friends fast....playing backgammon, drinking, talking USA coins, becoming roommates for a short time in Theta Chi (I dropped out after painting a rock red all night and then doing poorly in an Economics exam).  Nick remained one of my 5 best friends of all time. I will never sell my 1907 $20 High Relief PCGS MS64 that he talked me into buying...even though he sold his 1921-D half dollar I sold him thinking he would never sell it.  It was Drew Tucci who told me to buy my first 1982 1 oz panda MS63 for $3,015. I then sold 2 pieces to Nick...the same grade...we did not know any better only dealing with USA coins.  Nick went on to king of the "big" Chinese coins...I found my home with the yearly pandas.  I last played backgammon with Nick on April 17th and took pictures using gold, platinum and silver coins as chips...one was the Shanghai Ghetto Memory medal "specimen" that I "borrowed" from the Shanghai Mint.  I am in China now with Drew and Nirat L. ....but half my heart and mind are at home with Nick's family whom we are in touch with daily. It breaks me a bit to be away but I just could not get back.  Nick passed away Monday 6:30pm when I was on the plane (7:30am Tuesday morning China time).   Danny Spungen

From the heart. The funeral is Friday and I so wish you could be there.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »
In lieu of flowers Nick's family requests that donations be made to:

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Development Office
c/o Lauren Cooler for Dr. Rosenberg's Bladder Cancer Research
633 3rd Ave. 28th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
I posted the sad news on Chinese jibi and baoquan sites. I never met or bought from Nick, but could still feel his positive impact on MCC. RIP.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
I posted the sad news on Chinese jibi and baoquan sites. I never met or bought from Nick, but could still feel his positive impact on MCC. RIP.

Thank you Fwang. I know that the sadness will be multiplied. Such a huge loss to so many in so many ways........

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
I never met Nick but every time we spoke on the phone he was very helpful. I am sure his spirit will still guide the industry, but such a young market needs leaders like him.

Nick was young. Too young. Regrettably, after Fukushima, I don't donate to any cancer research or cancer causes until such cancer cause/researcher openly investigates the impact of radiation emissions on the explosion of cancer worldwide. I donate to honest operators.  (For example, the N. American Cancer Societies haven't published much in the way of data, or lobbied against nuke power,even after Three Mile Island or Chernobyl or Fukushima. The silence is deafening). If we continue to fight climate change with nuke power, and the trajectory of cancers continues (including childhood cancers), I am convinced we will see devastating effects on society. I mean, how many years are we supposed to 'study cancer' when the Japanese government has disclosed that even today the ongoing releases of radiation continue at Fukushima and the level is about the equivalent of 100 Hiroshima bombs going off daily on this planet.

My friends and family get angry when I am not surprised to see healthy active people die at a young age of cancer. (In some western nations, the death rate to cancer is already 50%)I tell them we should expect it. Only then can we make an unemotional assessment of all the factors in the cancer-causing world we have created.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »

.. until such cancer cause/researcher openly investigates the impact of radiation emissions on the explosion of cancer worldwide. I donate to honest operators.  (For example, the N. American Cancer Societies haven't published much in the way of data, or lobbied against nuke power,even after Three Mile Island or Chernobyl or Fukushima. The silence is deafening). If we continue to fight climate change with nuke power, and the trajectory of cancers continues (including childhood cancers), I am convinced we will see devastating effects on society. I mean, how many years are we supposed to 'study cancer' when the Japanese government has disclosed that even today the ongoing releases of radiation continue at Fukushima and the level is about the equivalent of 100 Hiroshima bombs going off daily on this planet.

My friends and family get angry when I am not surprised to see healthy active people die at a young age of cancer. (In some western nations, the death rate to cancer is already 50%)I tell them we should expect it. Only then can we make an unemotional assessment of all the factors in the cancer-causing world we have created.

Agreed, and the astounding increase in cancer rates should floor us and motivate us into immediate action, but it hasnt.  Rates have skyrocket from cancer being rare, and even fifty years ago uncommon, to now figures being almost one-in-three, and at the current trend may hit your assumption of expecting 100%.  There are lots of factors, and stats are never bedrock, but basic analysis shows something seriously wrong is going on.
The info about Fukashima should startle us into action. This type of radiation, even if its a fraction of what is quoted, cant be good for the planet. It would be sad end for humanity for alien beings in the future to encounter a dead planet Earth.
How close to a 100% cancer rate would it take to get the population away from their TVs for just a few minutes once a week, to lobby their reps, march on state capitals even by remote video gatherings, to try and force action by their lawmakers?
Seeing the malaise and apathy of the TV slaves our people have become,
My money is on the cockroaches.

Confucius

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
Far too young, it seems.

It is always a bit of a shock when such an apparently healthy individual is taken so soon.

All a person can ask for, is that in one's limited lifetime any talent be shared and enjoyed, I am confident his

accomplishments and his legacy will continue to positively affect many. 

Confucius

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »

633 3rd Ave. 28th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Thanks for posting this information Peter. I was honored to donate in the memory of Nick.

For those intersted it is very easy to make a donation through their website ...

http://www.mskcc.org/giving

Offline davidt3251

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »

633 3rd Ave. 28th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017

Well, I knew Nick, I didnt know his family. I believe Nick would want us to think for ourselves.

After considering that Memorial Sloan-Kettering was founded by the Rockefellers, and observing the lack of progress made by Memorial Sloan-Kettering in advancing very successful cancer drugs that showed much promise in the lab (and you cant tell me the Rockefellers are short of money), I decided Nick would want me to donate elsewhere in his memory.

Therefore I made a donation to Greenpeace.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Doesn’t seem to be very appropriate to denigrate the cancer center that Nick’s family has asked that donations be made to … for all we know it could have possibly been a wish of Nick’s.

Either way … donate where you feel is best to make you feel better but constantly bashing this cancer center IN THIS THREAD is not very appropriate. It’s not respectful at all.   

Offline GDG's

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Doesn’t seem to be very appropriate to denigrate the cancer center that Nick’s family has asked that donations be made to … for all we know it could have possibly been a wish of Nick’s.

Either way … donate where you feel is best to make you feel better but constantly bashing this cancer center IN THIS THREAD is not very appropriate. It’s not respectful at all.   

Ditto what comeaux says.

I'll add. I have been to Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NY hundreds of times. I have been a supporter of Sloan-Kettering for 30 odd years. Special people work in Cancer centers. Cancer is devastating to not only the patients but to all their friends and kin. Any donation towards a cure for cancer is in the interest of everyone. I know of too many people who have died from cancer. I too have a tumor as I type this post. Remember more then 50% of cancers today can be cured. With support maybe in our lifetime we can see this near 100%. Too many die too soon from this insidious disease.

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
Wow what a major loss
I met nick at the Philly fair of money and he seemed like such a great guy
My prayers go out to his family

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
Ditto what comeaux says.

I'll add. I have been to Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NY hundreds of times. I have been a supporter of Sloan-Kettering for 30 odd years. Special people work in Cancer centers. Cancer is devastating to not only the patients but to all their friends and kin. Any donation towards a cure for cancer is in the interest of everyone. I know of too many people who have died from cancer. I too have a tumor as I type this post. Remember more then 50% of cancers today can be cured. With support maybe in our lifetime we can see this near 100%. Too many die too soon from this insidious disease.

Advances ARE being made and need to be supported.  It is amazing sometimes- a close familiy member with a normally very aggresive cancer is taking a custom low-dose chemo cocktail tailor-made for them, its been two years now living a surprisingly normal life,  whereas diagnosis initially was for maybe only two to four months!

GDG - pulling for you for the best results- hang in there-
this planet needs all the top-quality people it can get!   N31

Confucius

Offline davidt3251

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
Comeaux "It’s not respectful at all"

And THIS THREAD is a place to lecture me about RESPECT??

Gimme a break. As if you know.

The family said "in lieu of gifts". I was never planning on a gift. I did something that was superior to their gift alternative. Face it. You know nothing. Next you will tell me you spoke to his ghost.

I have more experience with MSK than you will ever have. My company financed a company with patented cancer technology. We put in $10 million. We spent most of that money testing at MSK. The drugs passed with flying colors. Effective at ovarian, breast, colon, lung, etc. Some cancers had 50-100% kill rates. Yet MSK never took it anywhere. We had people in 2007 who were just diagnosed with cancer thinking they would get human trials. MSK never conducted human trials. Thanks MSK.

And if anyone thinks cancer has no place here on this forum, then why are you posting a cancer death here? If you have a problem with my posts go complain to the person who first posted the word "cancer" in this thread in the first place. This thread is about the cause of death of a rather youngish leader of the MCC community, and its a loss, and you want to censor this discussion? Then as I said, if it doesn't belong, don't post it!

Everyone complaining about my posts belongs in etiquette school. Sheesh! You people are friggin' unreal tonight!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »
I think that if Nick knew that a donation had been made in his name to Greenpeace instead of Sloan-Kettering he would get a good laugh out of it. Then pause, and laugh again. I suggest that everyone lighten up. I once wrote an article and asked Nick for his opinion. He said he liked the article but that I forgot to add, "have fun"  to the conclusion. He was, as usual, right. So do as the man said...please.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »
Everybody is understandably upset and mourning Nick’s untimely death. Let’s remain focused as a group in sharing our memories of Nick and expressing our feelings of deep sorrow and sadness. Everyone’s contributions and opinions are a personal matter and should not be misconstrued as an attack in any way. While I highly respect both comeaux’s and davidt3251’s opinions in this matter, this is a “battle” that has no constructive place in this thread about Nick Brown. Maybe we can discuss MSK or cancer research in a separate thread, possibly under “Other Specialized Topics”. It is always enlightening to hear new information on a popular subject from someone possessing specialized information. I am sure that the thread would receive both pro and con posts. In the end, we all continue to learn! Thank you.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
Another healthy, athletic young man falls to cancer.  Same as my loving sister and so many other friends and family members.  How much resources have been spent on trying to find a cure w/ at times minimal results?  (on the news there are some promising possible cures) I think it is caused by our polluted water and altered food supplies........ 

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
Although I’m quite shocked at some comments here … agreed this thread is all about honoring Nick.

I’m not making another comment in this thread other than to reiterate what I and others have said … my sincere condolences to Nick’s family/friends.  N48   

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
Although I had asked him for his sound and blunt advice a few times, I was only ever fortunate enough to have made one transaction with Nick Brown.
By "fortunate" I mean first:
I was fortunate in that I even had enough funds to make this one transaction with Nick.
And second:
I was fortunate to have even succeeded as a buyer because I had to actually WORK at getting him to sell to me.
Nick was a true collector. His coins were almost like family as (in my experience) he would rather keep them if he didn't think they were going to be given a good home.

People like Nick epitomize the finest qualities of a numismatist. Nick collected what he loved, shared his hobby freely with others, and always reminded everyone to not lose sight of having fun. In my experience, his coins were ones he believed in and he cared about the coins and the progression of the hobby in a way you don't see from dealers who focus on sheer profit and don't primarily collect. Nick had a wealth of information as well as an unparalleled passion for coins. He will be dearly missed.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Although I had asked him for his sound and blunt advice a few times, I was only ever fortunate enough to have made one transaction with Nick Brown.
By "fortunate" I mean first:
I was fortunate in that I even had enough funds to make this one transaction with Nick.
And second:
I was fortunate to have even succeeded as a buyer because I had to actually WORK at getting him to sell to me.
Nick was a true collector. His coins were almost like family as (in my experience) he would rather keep them if he didn't think they were going to be given a good home.

People like Nick epitomize the finest qualities of a numismatist. Nick collected what he loved, shared his hobby freely with others, and always reminded everyone to not lose sight of having fun. In my experience, his coins were ones he believed in and he cared about the coins and the progression of the hobby in a way you don't see from dealers who focus on sheer profit and don't primarily collect. Nick had a wealth of information as well as an unparalleled passion for coins. He will be dearly missed.

Great story PH !!!

I love hearing these kinds of stories and the one from Danny !

Offline didochili

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
I met Nick in 2009. The first coin I bought from him should be the matte silver year of the child. Before that, I've seen his eBay listings. After the first purchase, he introduced me to his web shop and I made a few more purchases.

He invited me to Medinah a couple of times for lunch. Once he brought two suitcases of slabbed MCC coins. He's always very enthusiastic when talking about Chinese coins. Initially I thought he was just a great salesman, but with time, I realize he just really loves coin collecting.

He told me how he worked with NGC on developing the oversized slabs for MCC. He's especially proud of the slab which allows people to see the edge - some coins have serial numbers on their edges and the slab allows people to see them. He also said how copper spots can be easily removed. He also said he believes all the MCC coins should be conserved first before grading, as even when there is no visible flaws (such as copper spots), there could be other residues on the surface. I do not agree with that point, but anyways, that's one thing I remember he told me.

I wish I could have talked to Nick more. He's a great person.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
I went to the wake in Chicago for Nick Brown this afternoon. It was attended by several hundreds of people – standing room only. The actual funeral will be tomorrow morning. I'll try and take a few photos to share with the Forum.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline dobedo

Online Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Chicago Tribune:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?pid=164806029#fbLoggedOut

Thanks for posting.  Although I had a few email exchanges with Nick, I never had the pleasure of meeting him.  This summary gives me additional glimpses into his life.  I hadn't known he was such an athlete.  A sad loss indeed.

Offline champion

• New
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »
First post here on forum.

Very glad to be with Peter, Robert and Lourdes at Nick's services Friday in Chicago. Nick was a man of great vision, I do not think we will find another who have contributed so much to MCC.

At Friday's service ,Mark Chairman of NGC and David President of NCS were both present. Nick worked with David to create the oversized holder for large Chinese coins, and we work with NICK and NGC for the holder for the Chinese 5 and 10 kilo Gold coins. The first 1991 Panda 5 Kilo Gold coin was certified by NGC thru Champion in June 2012.

Nick and I made many visits to the client who eventually sent to NGC over 30 1KG Gold or larger Modern China coins( Many were serial number 1) . This was the last project we worked on together last August in Hong Kong., we had planned an exhibition of these coins in Hong Kong with a TV special in December 2012.

We are planning a Nick Brown memorial dinner in Hong Kong during the weekend of Hong Kong coin show probably August 23rd or 24th 2013 in Hong Kong , if you are interested please contact me or Peter. Michael

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
Nick and I made many visits to the client who eventually sent to NGC over 30 1KG Gold or larger Modern China coins( Many were serial number 1).
This must have been very exciting !!!

Thanks for posting and it's an excellent first post !

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
The May-June Pricepedia just came out.  Peter has a long column with many pictures about Nick Brown.  There are both funny stories and poignant tributes to Nick Brown.  A great read.

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »
The May-June Pricepedia just came out.  Peter has a long column with many pictures about Nick Brown.  There are both funny stories and poignant tributes to Nick Brown.  A great read.

I agree
Great job panda collector

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
Yep; i agree too. I was looking forward to it. It is sad that we got to know him more after he passed. It is a reminder that relationships are more important than worldly possessions.

Offline Dachs

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »
RIP Nick! I met him in Hong Kong last August at the Stacks Auction. Nick was a great person and a well known china coin collector!

Online Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
With the loss of Nick on my mind, I happened to watch the following video on the last days of an even younger cancer victim.

http://youtu.be/9NjKgV65fpo

It was such an inspirational piece.  For the rest of the day after watching it, I interacted with people in a different, more positive way...I also saw a desirable Chinese coin posted for sale today.  I paused for a moment and debated on whether I could afford to purchase it, but then I told myself that money sitting in the bank is just that.  Purchasing this coin will give me pleasure, and I've seen too often recently that life can be far shorter than we expect.  I made the purchase, and I'm glad I did  :001_smile:

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
This is a tragic loss. He was one of the best in all aspects. I only knew him through some personal Emails, the incredible insight posted in his blog, and the passion he exuded in MCC. The fact this happened so fast is a reminder to all of us that we are only as secure as our next heart beat. He lived life to the fullest, inspired us, and loved us. Regardless of how the insanity of the world plays out, live life as if each day is your last. Rest in peace brother...  

Offline Devlin

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:50 PM »
I just read this in the price guide.  I met Nick a few years ago at the FUN show and he was just great to me. He took time to show me coins in the way a teacher would show a student. May he rest in peace.

Offline Lightsview

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
Such saddening news. Have bought a couple of coins from Nick and he was thorougly helpful. Wish I could've met the great guy. My sincere condolences to his family.

Offline Lightsview

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
Just wanted to ask if Nick's blog and website has been deactivated? Tried accessing it but its no longer available. He had a really nice collection of rare MCCs which was always worth admiring at.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 03:51:35 AM »
Just wanted to ask if Nick's blog and website has been deactivated? Tried accessing it but its no longer available. He had a really nice collection of rare MCCs which was always worth admiring at.

Yes, the Majestic Rarities website is gone. I have copies of all Nick's blogs and hope to post them for all to enjoy as soon as permission can be arranged.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Lightsview

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 05:01:40 AM »
Yes, the Majestic Rarities website is gone. I have copies of all Nick's blogs and hope to post them for all to enjoy as soon as permission can be arranged.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Thanks Peter. That's great to hear.

Offline mengqian

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
Dear Friends,

Nick Brown is a genuine coin collector. He played a great and positive role in modern Chinese coin collection. He's someone who will always be repected. Though he has knocked on heaven's door, his spirit will stay with us. He'll be truly missed for all the time and he lives in my heart for good.

Mengqian

Offline Dachs

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 03:50:28 AM »
@Champion:

Will there be a memorial dinner in Hong Kong for Nick Brown during the Hong Kong Coin Convention?

Best regards,

Offline mengqian

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
@Champion:

Will there be a memorial dinner in Hong Kong for Nick Brown during the Hong Kong Coin Convention?

Best regards,

There will be a memorial convention and dinner on Aug 24.