Author Topic: Loupes for coins  (Read 14863 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Loupes for coins
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
Thanks Peter. Can you please tell me what model it is so I can have it as a reference? My knowledge in photography and lenses is very poor so I am kind of lost looking at different types of enlarger lenses and not really understanding a word when reading the specifications.

Regards, Gilmore

It's a Nikon 50mm f/4 enlarging lens. As a magnifier use it with the aperture turned to wide open.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline anvers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »
I´ve owned these loupes: Belomo 10X triplet (30 dollars), classic Harald Schneider 10x triplet (300 dollars), Nikon 10x triplet (90 dollars).

Well, Belomo is nice value for money. The optics is good, but not even near to Harald Schneider or Nikon. But it depends what do you use it for - it is a very big difference whether you grade diamonds or coins.
I would say for coins it is the best choice.

Nikon 10x triplet is a very small loupe (just 13mm diameter), but the optics is absolutely great  :thumbup: Clear, exceptional, very sharp image. Really the only disadvantage is the diameter - of course just in case you need more than 13mm  :001_smile:

Harald Schneider loupe has 3 models: 1) classic 18mm (250-300 dollars), 2) "L1" 20mm (330-460 dollars), 3)the very new (available from this Monday) "L2" 20mm (can be ordered from Europe, costs about 400 dollars).

I own the classic model. Great optics, great size and huge price  :001_smile:

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum! I'll have to check out the new L2 Harald Schneider.

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 02:26:40 AM »
PandaCollector and anvers, thank you for the useful information. I will have a look at these models.