Author Topic: Displaying your Pandas  (Read 3620 times)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Displaying your Pandas
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:04 PM »
A friend of mine sent me this picture from the lobby of Hotel Lisboa in Macau.  Many MS67-68 quality coins are ending up in presentation slabs similar to this.  These slabs are very similar to the Capital Holders that a US distributor used to sell panda sets in the 1980s and 1990s.  I get these slabs all the time and the coins almost always grade MS69.

In 2008 I used to make NGC multiholder sets, which I thought looked great and were easy to store, however many collectors and investors preferred buying the single slab sets, so I stopped making them.  I think some day Chinese may rethink their likability of multiholders.

Finally I posted an OMP sheet, if one is going to collect OMP, I think sheets are the natural way to do it for long term appreciation, however as many have noted, the risk of PVC damage in 50 years may be irreversible.

Arif

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AKA “PandaQuest”
Re: Displaying your Pandas
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:34:34 AM »
Those gold sets look great IMO, they remind me of the 07 gold sets.

Nice sheet! The only gold sheet I've ever come across is a 02' 1/10 sheet,  its gone now. :-(

Thanks for sharing.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:38 AM »
The lobby of Hotel Lisboa is like a Panda numismatic museum, what a wonderful sight!
Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
The lobby of Hotel Lisboa is like a Panda numismatic museum, what a wonderful sight!
Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Wow, indeed.  Thanks for sharing the photo Arif. 

That (permanent?) hotel display is a great advertisement to attract new collectors.  How many wealthy guests of the hotel walk by that display, take a closer look, get intrigued with the challenge of assembling sets, and then start collecting some pandas on their own?  I wonder how many millionaires walk by that lobby display each year?  It would only take a small percentage of those to get seriously involved in buying pandas to have an impact on the market.

Can anyone recall a similar display of coins of the United States in any US hotel?  Intriguing...

Offline canadian

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
When we were in Hong Kong we were tempted to take the ferry across to Macau but didn't, next time we will for sure. The owner of that collection is justifiably proud of it. Thanks Arif.
Here is a display that I made using materials from a "Michael's" craft store. The frame is a "float" frame that allows the coin to viewed from both sides, a removable prop on the frame allows it to be displayed on a shelf or hung on the wall. The coins are held in place by craft foam that has been carved to accept the coins, the foam is available in a variety of colours.

Offline Silver bullion boy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »
What a lovely display, wish we had hotels like that over here in the U.K.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »
Here is pic of a nice collection that came in today.  The collector bought one set every year on a subscription program from 1982-1993, except in 1987 he bought both mints and skipped 1988.  What is sad is after he filled up two pages in his album he decided to stop his subscription to the program and missed out on 1994-1999, which would have been the third page in his album. This week he traded his beautiful collection of panda sets for 1oz gold maple leaf.

Amazingly all the coins are in pristine condition, in what I call double PVC protection.

Arif

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AKA “PandaQuest”
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
Nice collection!, especially the 90' small date set. Too bad he stopped buying right before the years got really good!