Author Topic: Sale! 1984 China Pagoda Silver Medal Set, All PF69, NGC+NCS; With box $5050  (Read 4439 times)

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
Limited time sale (I reserve the right to accept or not accept the offer at any time) -

I am offering the set for $5050 (USA shipping only) to forum members - for Paypal gift payment - shipping (insured, priority) included. See the ebay link for more details.
First come first served - for established forum members only.

Most probably I have a handwritten CoA as well for the set, which I will include (although it is not listed, and no guarantee - if I can find it, it would be an added bonus)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281080223433

Thanks!  :001_smile:

Offline shibaji

So, no one is interested! I thought this was an attractive price :-) Market is really bad.

Offline shibaji

Open to best offer

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
Yes the MCC market is very soft (although some are saying its hot), unless you are selling gold Pandas, specifically key date and 1/10 oz gold pandas. Its a very narrow market. This is a typical characteristic of a risk-averse market. Sort of like whether you want to buy the S&P index for your retirement account, or if you want to delve into small and midcap stocks. This market is like the S&P, where investors feel safer in the S&P (especially with gov't backing and buying of the S&P). In the end its about liquidity, and outside of gold Pandas the market is quite illiquid. For sure, certain key dates of Lunars have done well, but you can also point to 1985 Vault protectors in 69 (gold, 3.5 Huang Ruiyong stars) selling at around 1/2 Pricepedia in the recent Singapore auction.  Looking at recent ebay sales over $5,000 and its mainly gold Pandas. An investment in the S&P is very liquid, you can sell anytime. Its the same for gold Pandas. Gold Unicorns are doing okay.

The combination of the Chinese tax reduction on gold Pandas and their use as VIP gifts (I dont think any silver Panda will have the same impact as a gold Pandas for a VIP gift) means that the Pandas, particularly gold Pandas, have a similar implied backing to what the S&P has. Therefore many seem to feel the payoff for silver Pandas, medal Pandas, and non-Panda coins will be behind the payoff for gold Pandas.

Specifically for the Pagodas. though, their easy availability doesnt seem to correspond with the apparent 260 mintage. In a narrow 'gold Panda' market, a medal that behaves like it has much higher mintages won't appreciate fast due to the liquidity problem. Even the recent 1990 Goldfish set half 69 half 68 was a weak sale under $1000. That should be $1500 at least. Its a 3.5 star Huang Ruiyong item. Even with gold Panda supply diminished, the buying isnt spilling over to silver Pandas and non Pandas. Gold Panda prices will probably need to appreciate more before we see a lot more liquidity. Once gold Panda sellers have more cash on the books, then they might begin to play what's 'next' and drive those coins higher, creating a foundation of liquidity that goves buyers the confidence to wade in, but that might not happen for a few months.

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
I am in agreement with you on this.

Well said.  N31

Weak auction results for several of the hyped silver medals/ sets.
No matter how much they are attempted to be re-hyped even today.
The market knows.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline shibaji

Even the recent 1990 Goldfish set half 69 half 68 was a weak sale under $1000. That should be $1500 at least. Its a 3.5 star Huang Ruiyong item.

I know - lost quite a bit of money on that (also the other ANA medal, and Hong Kong expo medal - over 2.5K usd combined), but I have some obligation to liquidate my collection over some period of time. I am not looking to sell any of these for profit, but taking loss (just trying to minimize that). Let's see what happens.

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
I know - lost quite a bit of money on that (also the other ANA medal, and Hong Kong expo medal - over 2.5K usd combined), but I have some obligation to liquidate my collection over some period of time. I am not looking to sell any of these for profit, but taking loss (just trying to minimize that). Let's see what happens.
I was watching the ANA, too. It was a shame!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
I was watching the ANA, too. It was a shame!
Same here.  I put in decent low-ball bids for both goldfish and ANA early on to get the auctions some visibility, but they didn't catch on.  David3251 is right, the market is very narrow.

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
Tonight the drop hit silver Lunar key dates. Take the 2002 Scallop Silver S10Y Lunar Horse, PCGS 69DCAM which went for $799 tonight. It is in the current Pricepedia, $1048-1115 for 69 grade. It has about the lowest number graded at NGC and its the key date of the 1993-2004 Scallop Silver Lunar Series. OMP coins are about $1000 ask in China, although Pricepedia says OMP is $680-999. Most of the rest of that series prices $300-600 (the first year Rooster is $740). So basically you need the Horse to complete the set and its rare so it gets bid up (usually).So here we have a key date selling for OMP price, or about 70% of 69 DCAM price.

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
The weird thing is that there were three raw 85 ANA auctions lately, sold at similar prices. So the low price was not an accident.

Offline Hippanda

Yes. One isolated low sale, might be an aberation.

But the current situation with a few of key silvers selling relatively low? Agreed, not an accident. It is, sadly, current reality.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline exchange

Yes. One isolated low sale, might be an aberation.

But the current situation with a few of key silvers selling relatively low? Agreed, not an accident. It is, sadly, current reality.

Sadly and current reality if you purchased them already graded 69, where a nice chunk of premium was added to the cost. If you had bought them in OMP even at the market top (i guess 2010-2011?) you still may be up today. My scallop complete silver set in OMP purchased in 2011 costed me at least the same price as if I would have to purchase one today. If I remember correctly paid $5100, including all original boxes, outerboxes and coas. The same can be said for the silver lunar fan set, paid under $3000 for the set. I love both sets.

Slow an easy. No rush for them to appreciate in price. I may want to get second sets!  :001_smile:

exchange

Offline BoyBlueJay

I'm tempted to auction a Pagoda set in PF69 with all four listed individually just to see what happens.  My guess is there are more than a few people needing just 1 or 2 to complete an all 69 set.  Might be worth a shot.

Offline Utah3

• Trade Count: (+3)

I'll vote for that. I just need one PF69

Thanks
utah3

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
I'll vote for that. I just need one PF69
Ditto.  I hope you and I are not fighting over the same one.   :001_rolleyes: