Author Topic: Quality or Quantity?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Saltcitypandas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Quality or Quantity?
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:04 PM »
Hello everyone it’s been along time since I was apart of the community but I check in and read the discussions regularly.  I have a simple question but I don’t think there’s a simple answer.  From strictly an investment standpoint do you prefer quality or quantity? 
Here is my struggle,  I collect MS70 pandas.  Every denomination in both silver and gold.  I also collect OMP.  Up to 2010 or so I could get my panda fix by simply going to my local coin shops and spending some time looking around.  After 2010 the Pandas completely dried up.  So I decided to just buy and save 70s.  Recently I have had some luck finding Pandas again and I’ve had to choose between buying large amounts of fairly common coins at near melt or buying 1 or 2 70 fractionals.

Today I found a 2001, 2002 1 ounce in OMP.   2012 30th anniversary 1 ounce ngc70, along with 15,16 smithsonian 1oz all ngc 70. All gold. 
2014,15,16 smithsonian 1/10 ngc70s

2011 ms70 pcgs silver
2014 ms70 pcgs silver

Last 2012 1/4 silver 3y 30th anniversary OMP

All at melt plus a small percentage.

I’m looking at buying from a dealer a 1999 large date plain 1 1/2 for $5850. Ms70 1 of 1 and a 1998 large date 1/20 ms70 for $1100.

So 3/5 ounce of rare china gold for $6950
Or
5.3 ounces of china gold and 2.25 ounces of silver for $7800.

How would you spend your money?  I’m not really looking for advice I know what I’m going to do.  I’m just curious how others are thinking giving today’s market.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: Quality or Quantity?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »
The 2001 & 02 might be OK.     This forum will encourage collectors to stay away from bullion or high mintage Chinese and buy the early year, high grade, rare Chinese.   However, to each their own.
1995 G50Y MS 69 LD 1/2 oz gold panda    $10,888 SOLD     Ebay 323845836219  Northbayrarecoin is seller.   
450 surviving pop Peter's Panda book.     Rare and once came close to $30K mark.    Another on ebay for about $16K.
It is good to own bullion but rarity is the goal.      Not many here buy NIML or new issue low mint medals or new issue high mintage bullion for their personal collection....

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
I believe in buying quality and I seem to buy quantity.  Strange, but true.  I know what was rare in the past and I do not know what will be rare in a future up-market.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mark Bonke

ps. What name did you use during your past participation with this forum.  Many years ago, I attended the Long Beach show and met a young collector/investor at Arif's table who was engaging in the construction business in northern Utah and southwestern Wyoming.  Possibly, you are this "young collector/investor."  If so, in the past, you were collecting quality modern Chinese coins.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
With prices being so low, this is great time to buy both - quality and quantity. Lot of rare gems not only are available, but at nice prices too.

Offline china-silvercoin

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
I believe in buying quality, especially with those low premiums for 69 and 70s  N16

With quantities you will face a storage problem on the long run.

anyway you need to stay invested to participate from the next uptrend :thumbup:

china-silvercoin

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »
Mark you met Obsidian at Long Beach, he is from SLC also.  We also had Joe present at one of the shows. 

Go for quality and rarity every time, unless you believe gold is going to $10,000.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »
Gold is going to 10000. That will be a minimum to back a new monetary system coming in the next 10 years. In the mean time, I by bullion coins for rising gold price (currency hedge/stupidity of government) and quality MCC for collector premiums into the future..

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »
For bullion exposure, I own gold stocks NEM, KL and GDX.  It is much more liquid and asymmetrically levered to higher gold prices, a 20% rise in gold can push prices up 50%, while 20% drop may only lead to 20% drop, it is a great vehicle if you are medium to long term bullish.  Also, pays a dividend. 

With gold at multi-year highs, we are less than 30% away from all-time highs, when that occurs it will be too tough to buy semi rare and rare coins for reasonable prices.  It is best to buy them now if they are available.  For those that have noticed, I have shuttered my website for almost a year now, don't want to sell and not be able to buyback.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
Oh, I totally agree. I'm loaded to the gills with gold/silver mining companies for the leverage. I was talking about bullion coins vs collector coins for the percentage of my total portfolio allocation I hold that will not be subject to counter party risk..