Author Topic: Developing spots....what to do?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+14)
Developing spots....what to do?
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »
Hello

What happend?

This coin was problem free for the last 20 years. I sent the coin to NCS & NGC were it got graded as 69 see first photo.
Three months later - after being in a vacuum sealed bag it developed small spots. (next photo)
Another few months later the spots grew (still in the sealed bag) - last photo - with red rings.

So what are these spots and should I blame it to NCS/NGC for that (before grading they were ok) - and should NCS conserve them again ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards

Sasushi

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: Developing spots....what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »
I have no answers for you, but it would be pretty tough to determine that NCS conservation CAUSED the spotting. The spotting may have developed ( or was already in the process of developing) regardless of whether it was conserved or not.

IMO, these spots are small and do not take away from the attractiveness of the coin, if that is any consolation.

Offline Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Rare Panda Coins Inc
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
The coin was exposed to oxygen when it was unsealed.  This may have allowed chemical reactions that were on-hold for 20 years to resume.

However, if you left it in the plastic, eventually the plastic would degrade and cause damage as well.  There is no perfect solution.

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:56 AM »
Hello

What happend?
This coin was problem free for the last 20 years. I sent the coin to NCS & NGC were it got graded as 69 see first photo.
Three months later - after being in a vacuum sealed bag it developed small spots. (next photo)
Another few months later the spots grew (still in the sealed bag) - last photo - with red rings.

It happened to me before. NCS conserved my coin once again free of charge. Luckily, the coin still graded 69 after the second conservation. It's been over a year ago and the coin still looks perfect.

Just be aware that a second conservation is not recommended by NCS and the grade may be affected as a result.    

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »
It happened to me before. NCS conserved my coin once again free of charge. Luckily, the coin still graded 69 after the second conservation. It's been over a year ago and the coin still looks perfect.

Just be aware that a second conservation is not recommended by NCS and the grade may be affected as a result.   

How did you get NCS for free? Contact customer service?

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:35:43 AM »
How did you get NCS for free? Contact customer service?

Yes. I called NCS's customer service and explained that a coin that was recently conserved started developing spots. Not only that they conserved and graded the coin again for free, they also accepted my request to be reimbursed for the shipping cost.

Offline sasushi

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »
The coin was exposed to oxygen when it was unsealed.  This may have allowed chemical reactions that were on-hold for 20 years to resume.

However, if you left it in the plastic, eventually the plastic would degrade and cause damage as well.  There is no perfect solution.

The coin was without plastic when I bought it froma dealer. So before conserving it was fine, afterwards it developed spots.

Offline sasushi

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »

I called NCS , they told me to send the coin back in. What I will do.

Regards

Sasushi