Author Topic: Cameras for coin photos  (Read 26409 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: Cameras for coin photos
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2015, 01:13:03 AM »
The Great Wall side of the 10th Anniversary Panda Silver Coin.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:34 AM »
You are using mixed light sources. The light from the upper left corner casts a weird hue on the medal.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2015, 01:30:42 AM »
You are using mixed light sources. The light from the upper left corner casts a weird hue on the medal.

Yes, I was using mixed light sources. I'll do the white balance adjustment and see what changes.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2015, 02:03:51 AM »
The Four Beauties of Ancient China medal (a four medal set) following white balance and using fluorescent bulb lamps. This is the closest to the natural color tone of this medal that I have achieved so far. Thanks Frank for the input!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »
If you have photo editing tools like Lightroom, you can change the white balance quite easily.  Attached is the original photo vs white balanced photo.  I used your white paper background as reference.  Because the light sources are mixed, the white balance is not uniform.  I used the upper right edge as reference and you can see the lower edges still have a slight bronze tint.  The shadow casted by lights can be cut out with a circular cropping tool available in many photo editing tools.

Because our brain is hardwired to recognize and evaluate faces, I believe it is important to properly illuminate the face to give the best impact.  Generally the light should be diffused and shines in front or slightly above the face to bring out the best features.  Small adjustment can make big difference so experimenting is needed.  See this thread about "Coins with very beautiful women".

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2651.0

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
If you have photo editing tools like Lightroom, you can change the white balance quite easily.  Attached is the original photo vs white balanced photo.  I used your white paper background as reference.  Because the light sources are mixed, the white balance is not uniform.  I used the upper right edge as reference and you can see the lower edges still have a slight bronze tint.  The shadow casted by lights can be cut out with a circular cropping tool available in many photo editing tools.

Because our brain is hardwired to recognize and evaluate faces, I believe it is important to properly illuminate the face to give the best impact.  Generally the light should be diffused and shines in front or slightly above the face to bring out the best features.  Small adjustment can make big difference so experimenting is needed.  See this thread about "Coins with very beautiful women".

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2651.0

Thanks for the very useful lighting information tips. I'll have to rig up diffusers for the lamps. I think I figured out how to do the white balance before taking the photo. Post exposure editing is also a good skill to learn. Seems like coin photography can be every bit as busy and fulfilling as the collection itself!

Thanks also for the url link above. I don't know if I came across that thread previously but it has special significance. I think there may be more beautiful women coins not represented there. I'll search around my collection and see what to do. Other forum members can post what they have.

This is exactly the point I was making when I started a new thread on archived posts. http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11929.msg69702;topicseen#msg69702 There are lots of gems to be mined from the CCF archives. So if anyone comes across something interesting/useful from the archive please post url link or update in order to call attention to the material.

+1 and have a great day!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »
Here is the photo I took today of the lines on the reverse of the brass Songyue, using a Canon 35mm macro lens. The magnification is 2x.
Very nice and sharp picture.  I assume this is the original brass Songyue?  The minor ridges and grooves in the lines are very similar to that of Kaiyuan-in-question (2767915-001) down to the small irregularities.  The solid silver Songyue does not have these minor grooves and ridges in the lines.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
Very nice and sharp picture.  I assume this is the original brass Songyue?  The minor ridges and grooves in the lines are very similar to that of Kaiyuan-in-question (2767915-001) down to the small irregularities.  The solid silver Songyue does not have these minor grooves and ridges in the lines.
Yes, the photo is from the original brass Songyue. The whole purpose of taking this picture was to show the grooves and ridges on those lines. Actually I have other photos with an even closer look, taken with a microscope objective. The magnification is 5x. The depth of field is pretty shallow, and the  focus area is narrow.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »
Seems like coin photography can be every bit as busy and fulfilling as the collection itself!

And as addictive!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
Forgot to upload the lines on the restrike (Songyue). Here it is, for comparison.

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2015, 06:33:26 PM »
Amazing Frank -
And can you kindly post a comparable mag photo of the silver version?
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
Amazing Frank -
And can you kindly post a comparable mag photo of the silver version?
I do not own any silver pagodas :(

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
Post exposure white balance and color editing of the reverse proof FUN show silver Panda medal: Panda side.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2015, 09:10:38 PM »
The FUN Show reverse proof silver Panda medal: Reverse side.

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2015, 03:29:34 AM »
I do not own any silver pagodas :(

Perhaps then SANDAC might?

Might be revealing and valuable?
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius