Author Topic: many questions for coin grading  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Silberpanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
many questions for coin grading
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
Dear all,

first of all I want to inform you that I read since one year here in this forum. And now I have made my registration.
Thank you for all informations I can find here.

Since some weeks I am very interested to find out more about coin grading, rules, companies aso.
In my opinion the coin collectors in Germany are not so interested in grading till now, but it seems that more and more collectors will be informed about it.

I have read many many threads in different forum to get as many informations as possible.
But for me there are some questions left.

I hope some of you experts can help me.

1. I have a problem to find out which damage on a coin will influence the grading enormoulsly and which damage does not influence the grading enormously. For example:
One of my coins shows one damage. This damage is in a frostet area. It seems that before frosting there were some dust particles and after frosting you can see some very little spots.
An other coin have some very little hairlines.
Which damage is more important for the grading?
Is a scratch bader than a spot in the frosted area?

2. Can I find in internet (here in forum?) a documentation about graded coins including explanations why a coin is graded in 70, 69, 68 aso?

I would like to know this, becasue before I will send coins to NGC I want to make an own grading to find out if I am able to make a good own grading.

Hope to have a good discussion with all of you.

Best wishes
Silberpanda

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: many questions for coin grading
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
Welcome to CCF, Silberpanda!

This thread talked about areas that affect grading, and there is also a reference to grading standard.
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4808.0

Offline aragog

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
Those are really interesting questions and not easy to answer. I tink that hairline or scratches really influence the grading score and you probably will not even get grading number.
As for impurities during minting process, it is difficult to judge. for long time I was assured that coin after minting should get MS or PF grade. I still think it today, but the numbers are difficult to know and explain, you can get it just by experience and comparison of different graded coins.
In general, it is good first to get experience in old grading scale with MS60-65-70, as 65 and above are considered gem coins and I personally do not see any difference in higher grades. And to tell the difference between 69 and 70, I think only a couple of people on this forum can really distinguish between to coins, but the reward is worth of it, as there are quite a big population in collector community that are crazy about the highest grade. If I have unlimited finances I would go for 70s with no doubts, unfortunatelly/luckily, in my main field there are no 70 grades :-))

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
FWIW, I believe I've read something from one of our esteemed experts here that there are some of the early years that hairlines are acceptable on as they came from the mint that way. ?

Offline aragog

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
there are a couple of very useful links in this thread:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=7342.msg42983#msg42983

Offline coinstat

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:20:45 AM »
FWIW, I believe I've read something from one of our esteemed experts here that there are some of the early years that hairlines are acceptable on as they came from the mint that way. ?
Great question!
It was discussed here, but the pics are gone and I can not find them in the blog  :001_unsure: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6403.msg38929#msg38929. Some striation lines are also on coins from 1997: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5340.msg41135#msg41135. SANDAC gave some examples with grading results. Are there general guidelines?

In some regions grading has a long way to go. Until now both big grading companies in my opinion did not position themselves to change that. For some people a slab is just an "american capsule" no matter which grade: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380578558142.

regards
coinstat

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
Great question!
It was discussed here, but the pics are gone and I can not find them in the blog  :001_unsure: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6403.msg38929#msg38929.

I found the pictures and uploaded them on the end of that thread here: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6403.msg48217#msg48217

Offline Silberpanda

• New
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
Thank you all for supporting me.
I have read all, but till now my question about the different kind of damages on the coins and the depending different gradings is not explained.

In the Gallery of this forum I can see many 70s. But on 70s I can not learn something about damages.
I am more interested in seeing 69s, 68 or 67s. Sure, I can find some pictures of this kind of graded coins. But normaly you can not see the damages or imperfect areas of that coins because the photos are to small or the photo is made to avoid showing the damage.
Can someone send me some pictures of graded coins and make a marking to the imperfect areas? Or explain what the damage on the coin is?
I know this will make a lot of work. Therefore I want to say Thank you in advance.

Wish you all a nice day

Regards
Silberpanda

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
Hi Silberpanda, I think what you probably will benefit from most are pictures of MS67 coins and lower.   Maybe others here will agree with me, but I have several MS68 graded coins that look fantastic, and on which there is nothing obvious to either the naked eye or even under modest magnification that explains the MS68 grade.   In other words, it's not as if MS68 coins all have a nick or a scratch to explain the grade - if I post pictures of some of my MS68 coins, they'll just leave you asking "what's wrong with those?" because sometimes I think it's an overall eye appeal judgement to the grader.   The differences between MS68, MS69, and MS70 coins can be so slight, so miniscule, or so difficult to quantify that there often isn't anything that jumps out and says "here's why this got the grade".   

Now, once you get down to MS67 and below, you will see more incidents of hairlines, subtle contact marks, softness of strike, things like that....things that will show up in a photograph and be obvious to you.   To me, identifying the issues with an MS67 coin that explain why it didn't grade higher are much easier than identifying the issues on an MS68 coin to explain why it didn't grade higher.   And with MS69 vs. MS70, forget it...the differences can be so slight that you'll sit there scratching your head and staring at the coin wondering what's going on :001_rolleyes:
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com