Author Topic: when NGC recommends conservation . . .  (Read 9439 times)

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: when NGC recommends conservation . . .
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
 N39
A very big smile indeed, thank you.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
Nice collection of coins, Mirkkanen!   And nice grades all around, including an MS70 on the LD '89 which is a nice coin.  I'm so jealous!   Just once before I die I want to get an MS70 grade on one of my NGC gold panda submissions...just one!  :biggrin:   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Honus, I hope that you get more than you're hoping for! We all deserve the joy of the eyes beholding that magical 70.

All of the gold coins I submitted were in OMP. About 1/2 of them came back with 69 grades.

None of these had been sitting with me safely for years. 90% of them were coin show buys, eBay buys, or trades with forum members.

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »
I sent 5 OMP to NGC couple weeks ago.  3 came back MS67, 1 MS68 and 1 MS69.  NGC didn't leave any comments and neither recommendation of conservation.  I was wondering why I was treated differently?  And I do believe they care about red spots.  2 MS67 looks perfectly fine other than some redspots.  Majority of pop were 68/69,  they were graded so low.

Offline Pandagongzi

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
hey guys. I'd appreciate a few opinions on this question. I submitted several coinsto NGC and I just got confirmation that they feel 2 of my coins would benefit from NCS conservation. 1 of the grades I received was a 69 and the other grade was a 68. It will cost 20 dollars per coin to have them conserved through NCS. They said the coins may have a chance for a higher grade if conserved. No guarantees obviously. The 69 coin is a 1/10 oz 1994s gold panda. The 68 coin is a 2000 frosted silver Panda. Should I send these through the Conservation Service?

I got similar email from NGC this time.  However they didn't tell me what's the current grade and how much to NCS.  How did you know the grade and NCS cost?

Offline vkind

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »

I normally write in comment box to NGC to recommend me if conservation will be helpful. Once in a while they come back.

http://www.ncscoin.com/conservation/services_and_fees.asp

Here is the current NCS fees (cut and paste form the website (two most common used service....and note that other bells and whistles like $8 per invoice etc are involved).

1)CONSERVATION 4% of declared value* up to $150,000 per coin, 2% of declared value* over $150,000 per coin, $15 minimum fee †   Appropriate conservation work is performed. After conservation, coins will be submitted to the appropriate NCS-approved grading service if requested. Additional fees apply for encapsulation. NCS reserves the right to make the final decision as to the best conservation treatment.

2) MODERN TIER $27†   Submit any uncertified US or World coin struck from 1970 to present. One flat fee includes conservation by NCS and NGC certification. Following conservation, coins are transferred to NGC where they are graded and encapsulated in the NGC holder. Not genuine coins or coins with altered dates or mintmarks will be returned uncertified. Maximum value $300 per coin. Five (5)-coin minimum.

Good luck!

Offline Pandagongzi

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
In this case,  the coin is already with NGC.  Are they charging conservation fee only?  Or it will cost as if submitted directly to NCS?

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I got similar email from NGC this time.  However they didn't tell me what's the current grade and how much to NCS.  How did you know the grade and NCS cost?

A friend made this submission for me. He passed on the information to me that NGC told him. I will ask him more specific questions to try and get the answers you are looking for.

Offline vkind

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
Conservation is separate service performed by NCS (Sister company of NGC).

Weather the coin first went to NGC or NCS ....Irrespective of where coin went first(NGC or NCS), if the coin is conserved and slab'ed, your charges will be same. (cost of conservation + cost of slabbing)

If they recommended, I would go with their recommendation. 4% of conservation fee will pile up if you have high value coin. So you need to evaluate. Again, it may very will worth it.  NGC does not guarantee that it will improve any grade.

Its simple to figure out the cost of conservation.. Assuming only one coin is conserved...Its either $15 or 4% of value of coin. which ever is higher.

Add the slab cost to this conservation.

Offline Pandagongzi

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
I call Lisa@NGC, she said NCS cost is 5%, minimum $15.

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
My 1990 Bimetallic Panda medal PF 68 Ultra Cameo had developed tarnish
on the silver rim, so I sent it in to NCS/NGC and it came back a PF 69 Ultra Cameo.
The 1990 Bimetallic Panda coin was sent also for tarnish and maintained its grade of
PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Both cleaned up nicely with no tarnish remaining.

NCS cannot cure all of the PVC damage sometimes. I had a 5 ounce Expo Panda medal arrive
in original vinyl. A wave in the vinyl was stuck to the coin. The big black streak went across
the Panda's forehead and it returned from Sarasota looking like Kung Fu Panda. They
took care of the tarnish and reduced the vinyl mark.