Author Topic: Mothballs in Silver Coin Storage  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Unas

• Trade Count: (0)
Mothballs in Silver Coin Storage
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:38:19 AM »
What effect would mothballs have on silver coins?

It is said that mothballs prevent silver from tarnishing. Although, just for
the smell I would not want to expose my graded or ungraded coins to
mothballs.

Does anyone have any experience with mothballs in silver storage? Is it
definitely bad to use mothballs at all?

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Mothballs in Silver Coin Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:44:56 AM »
I personally wouldn't even consider it- Even if it did work, they would be too difficult to harvest.

N66
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Mothballs in Silver Coin Storage
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
Not something I would consider (I like the part about squirrel repellant and octane booster!!!  N16

Mothballs are small balls of chemical pesticide and deodorant used when storing clothing and other articles susceptible to damage from mold or moth larvae.

In addition to repelling or killing insects such as moths and silverfish, mothballs have been used as a stovepipe cleaner, snake repellent, and to keep away mice or other pests.[2]

In addition to this, using a very large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serious respiratory problems in people living in the space.[3]

Mothballs have been promoted as a squirrel repellent, and are an ingredient in some commercial repellent products. They are generally ineffective, and are no substitute for physical measures to exclude squirrels from building interiors.[4]

Mothballs are a neurotoxin - especially those made of para-dichlorobenzene - and need to be treated as such. Mothballs have also been found to be carcinogenic.[5]

Older-formula mothballs have also been used by drag racers to enhance the octane value of fuel by dissolving the mothballs in some of the fuel and filtering out the remains with a filter paper. In the Mythbusters episode "Scuba Diver, Car Capers", it was shown to be "plausible" that adding mothballs to a car's fuel tank would increase its horsepower.