Author Topic: Rarity of Pre-1949 Chinese Silver Coins?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline chinesecoinchaser

• Trade Count: (0)
Rarity of Pre-1949 Chinese Silver Coins?
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
So from what I have read, the rarity of pre-'49 silver chinese coins comes from a combination of:

1. Melts of Empire coinage by the ROC for standard issues
2. Wars and melts associated with paying war debts
3. Withdraw of all silver coinage by the communists in '49.

Anything else? thoughts?

Offline Hippanda

Re: Rarity of Pre-1949 Chinese Silver Coins?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »
Interesting topic for discussion-

Throughout history, whenever pressures on governments, either real or imagined, force them into thinking their only political solution is altering or stealing the people's money, distortions arise.

I imagine all the actions you point to have very interesting stories behind them: suffocating war debts, takeover of self-government by tyranical communist forces.... Hey, what country are we talking about again?

I know a lot of the recent supply of US $20 gold pieces has come from Europe, having been safely squirreled away there by knowing US citizens, just before the unjust confiscation of American's gold / wealth in 1933 by the US communist govt of the time.

I know there are some on this forum who collected US $20 Saints for example before getting into MCCs.
I think their opinions would be interesting too, tying it into global observations.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »
^All payments made in gold...most $20 Saints were sent to Europe Post-WWI for reconstruction.

Hoards were recovered - and some dates that were once scarce are now common in high grade.

This is part of the reason why I am not interested in paying $2k+ for a 1932 China $1 "Birds over junk" - with a large mintage...There must be hoards of these coins somewhere on the other side of the earth. How much was hidden from the red guards of the cultural revolution? From what I have read, this coin did not circulate much...because it looked too "jap".

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »
^All payments made in gold...most $20 Saints were sent to Europe Post-WWI for reconstruction.

I'll agree with you on the hoards.

Do you have a source for the claim of the US sending gold to Europe for reconstruction?
Every time I have been aware of, the US has only sent paper promises and credit on bad terms to other countries, who on the other hand have oh so wisely sent their gold to the US for "safekeeping"
What a deal.  N23

Backed by the full faith and credit and intimidation of the largest and most used military forces in the history of the world.
Best not to get in the way of their owner's gold and oil schemes.
Just ask Muammar.

PS- I do believe the US was forced to send some amounts of gold to Saudi Arabia as bribes to keep the oil flowing.
Other than that?..?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:18:02 AM by Hipanda »

Confucius

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »
I have read about the $20's in many different books - and on many websites they referance bags of $20's being used for various payments for years to europe.

I did a quck 2 second search - http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/double-eagles-coins-eagle-coin/

"European Hoards of Double Eagles

Another big danger to investing in Double Eagles is the huge stockpile in Europe. At the end of WWII, the United States held the largest gold reserves in the world, and U.S. dollars were redeemable in gold by foreign governments (and Americans at that time)

Following the war, the U.S. poured billions into rebuilding Europe via the Marshall Plan. Additionally, to stimulate European economic growth, the U.S. opened its markets to European goods. Consequently, massive quantities of dollars flowed to Europe.

As prosperity returned, Europeans converted those billions of dollars to gold. So great was the conversion that on August 15, 1971, President Nixon closed the “gold window” because the redemptions threatened to empty U.S. gold vaults. Much of the gold sent to Europe was old U.S. gold coin. Even before WWII, U.S. gold coins had been popular in Europe, and gold-loving Europeans hoarded them.

The exact number of Double Eagles held by European banks hold is not known, but it is in the tens of millions. Between 1850 and 1933, U.S. mints turned out more than 165 million Double Eagles. Today, several large numismatic wholesale firms have offices in Europe for finding hoards of old U.S. coins. One firm used to advertise “Shipments coming in from Europe daily.” Another firm boasts “Offices in Brussels, Paris, and Zurich.”"

Anyway, what are the chances that hoards of various pre-1949 coins exist? What is the actual rarity of the pre-'49 silver coins?

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »
Good info and good question.  N31

Confucius