Author Topic: 【F】《The Chinese Ancient Towers 》brass medals  (Read 13205 times)

Offline RAREMEDAL

• Trade Count: (0)
【F】《The Chinese Ancient Towers 》brass medals
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
古塔原版铜章很稀少,现在市面常见的是后铸版镀金镀银铜章。中国大陆市场目前还发现了低仿的古塔铜章(有镜面和喷砂对比效果)赝品。以下是新的研究成果和发现。受到了本论坛朋友的图示启发,将其丰富和完善。NGC曾经评级的那套Brass古塔章,很有可能并不是1984年原版的,可能是后铸的,上海造币厂运用了“先镀后压”工艺,这样压铸出来的镀金铜章,表面有镜面和喷砂对比效果(金鱼铜章也有类似境遇,也有喷砂版的后铸品),中国大陆网上,我见过好几套。本人收藏有正宗的1984年原版古塔精制铜章,细节和整体表面感觉,与之是不同的。建议以后NGC要注意到这一点。评级前要先称重、标签上的年份别乱标。后铸品不建议标注“(1984)”。

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:41:15 AM by RAREMEDAL »
RAREMEDAL — Feng Jingjing sir. I come from He'nan of China.
I love chinese rare medals and golden and silver coins.
My E-mail:2209925761@qq.com
My blog:  http://blog.sina.com.cn/zhongyuanfeng555

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: 【F】《The Chinese Ancient Towers 》brass medals
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »
Fwang:  could you translate please?............

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »
I'll translate the text embedded in the pictures.
First picture,  4 medals are marked with A, B, C, and D:
arrows are pointed to the small pimple for A, B, C.  D has no pimple
annotation for A: silver plated brass medal variety 1, no frosting
annotation for B: gilt brass medal variety 1, no frosting
annotation for C: brass medal with frosting
annotation for D: rare 1984 original brass medal with frosting

Text below the pictures:
Currently there are 7 varieties of the China Pagoda medal.  They are: 1984 original faultless silver medal, broken-line silver-encased medal, frosted silver-plated medal (some rubs on raised surface), and the four types of brass medal pictured above.

The three brass Pagoda marked with "A", "B", "C" have the same mold for the reverse side.  Quite possibly they are not the original 1984 version, but minted in later year.  Labelling "1984" on graded coins are not recommended.  For the brass medal in "C", while it has the effect of frosting on mirrored field, it does not look like the original.  Not sure whether it has a plated gold layer or uses the "plated before striking" technique.

Similar situation also apply to the Goldfish.  There are 9 known varieties.  There are: 1984 original proof brass medal, two types of "single goldfish" in obverse, 1990 silver medal with "double goldfish" in obverse,  two types of gilt brass without frosting, two types of silver plated brass with weak or no frosting, restrike brass medal (with frosting appearance).

Second picture annotation:
Rare 1984 original brass medal

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
Clearly the most definitive information to come out yet on these two medals.

Basically, confirming Poconopenn's and another guys' earlier analysis over the prior couple of years.

So, all "pimple" and "broken line" both plated?
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline NumiKat

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »
It is strange--the picture that Raremedal posted of his set 'D' seems different from the 4 types recognized by NGC, including the solid silver 1984 pagoda set. Unlike Raremedal's pagodas, the solid silver pagodas also have the small bump/pimple on the leftmost curve, even though the bump is more subtle (e.g., NGC 3546002-123 and 3487660-018). Also, the 3rd tower from the left with the large cross on top seems different. In Raremedal's set D, the left "shoulder" of the tower is square and horizontal, while in the other four types (including the solid silver) the left shoulder is rounded and sloped.

Could Raremedal's set of brass medals be a 5th type, or possibly a restrike?

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »

Currently there are 7 varieties of the China Pagoda medal.  They are: 1984 original faultless silver medal, broken-line silver-encased medal, frosted silver-plated medal .... or uses the "plated before striking"

This issue is raised again, and notice the clear differences in description : "silver-encased" vs "silver plated". This is not minor, and it is not an error.  Please see Poconopenn's past posts of the ramifications in detection this difference presents. I'd say it again, but for some reason nobody wants to hear it, but thankfully people listen when Poconopenn says it.

The ramifications are that with an "encased then struck" medal or coin, the silver layer can be so thick as to avoid detection with usual methods, as opposed to merely plated.

Also, it would be good to get further clarification of the importance of the "pimple"/ bump.
Does the presence of any bump at all no matter if slight, indicate "not solid silver"? Raremedal described the real solid silver  "1984 original fautless" and I tend to take his description as written.

Confucius

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »
This issue is raised again, and notice the clear differences in description : "silver-encased" vs "silver plated". This is not minor, and it is not an error. 

The exact wording raremedal used is 断线版套银章 which I translated into "broken-line silver-encased medal".  It could be silver-encapsulated or something-wrapped-in-silver.  This description applies to all NGC-graded silver pagoda except one.  It is unclear to me what is the core that was wrapped in silver, nor the purity of the silver wrapper.  Silver wrapper can be assessed non-destructively with XRF, but core will need destructive analysis. 

I'm now ready to pay $200 for a NGC graded broken-line Pagoda of any grade which I will crack out of the slab, weight it, send in for XRF, and cut it in half.  I will report the result in full in CCF.  Please PM if you have one for me.  While I'm at it, I'm also interested in silver-plated Pagoda, silver goldfish, and silver-plated goldfish for destructive analysis.  I don't care about their grades, but they need to be NGC-certified.  I need to think a while about what I'm willing to pay.

PS, the NGC numbers for the brass Pagoda are 3678875-001 to -004.  I believe raremedal used the -004 as example.  It is not the best one, IMO.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
None of my graded silver pagodas have a pimple/bump on the line..  Good information.   .............

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
That would be terrific to see- can you please post photos or NGC links?

Confucius

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
My comment about this pagoda set posted in the following thread is in consistency with the observation made by RAREMEDAL, except for the unbroken line silver set. The unbroken line silver set, IMO, may not be genuine.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=7507.30

The NGC graded two unbroken line sets (3299509-015-022) may not be silver. IMO, they are fake silver plated sets or mixed fake and genuine plated medals in the same submission. It has the signature defect, a bulged spot at the left line, similar to plated set graded by NGC as well as additional defects which are not seen in plated or broken line silver sets. IMO, the broken line set is the genuine silver set. It is true the broken line set also has a very small  dot on top of the line, about the same place, but not the same size and shape as plated sets. Usually, the reproduction of a genuine coin by using a genuine coin to produce the negative production die will increase the size of bugled spot as well as the line thickness. It should also be noted, the design of reverse of four medals is not identical for silver set, while the plated sets is the same. SANDAC has provided many NGC cert. # for pagoda set in other thread. I have checked 27 sets. They are all have broken line on the reverse of Kaiyuan medal, except two sets mentioned above.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3299509-015

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
Interesting, thank you Poconopenn..

3299509-017 has solid line, but small bugle?  Or is that bulge?

Either way same thingy...bugle, bulge, dot, pimple,

:001_smile:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:09:12 PM by Hipanda »

Confucius

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »
Poconopenn, would you classify the following as " broken line, small bugle" : genuine solid original?

Confucius

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
Yes, it is broken line, small bulge, genuine silver original medal. The location of the bugled spot is on the top of the line, not on the left side of the line.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:10:33 PM by poconopenn »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
OK, the broken line is real silver and the connected line are silver plate and not another variety of real silver.  Does this conclusion then verify graded real silver pagodas are genuine except for the few that got thru NGC?  Is this the end of the real silver graded pagoda debate?  Sometimes more information leads to more questions..  How many other early MCCs will be debated?  The MCC puzzle is a fascinating mystery!....................

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »
... The MCC puzzle is a fascinating mystery!....................

All this show is there was no planning, no direction, no organization, no goal, no quality assurance, no leadership, ... in the mint during the early days.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »
RAREMEDAL.

Can you tell us the weight of your 1984 original brass medal? If possible, the weight of other sets too. Thanks.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
OK, the broken line is real silver and the connected line are silver plate and not another variety of real silver.  Does this conclusion then verify graded real silver pagodas are genuine except for the few that got thru NGC? 

We seem to be getting much closer, although I would to see RareMedal confirm Poconopenn's
description of the broken line with no pimple being the solid original 1984 medal.

I know some things are lost a bit in translation from RareMedal, can anybody ask him to clarify this issue directly and maybe settle this mystery once and for all?

Confucius

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
补充注解:“断线版套银章”是指:“全套银章中,有一枚的背面有断线”(套:指的是“全套”,并不是指“包裹”、“套上”或“镀层”的意思),这个“断线”,属于铸造模具版别的不同。在钱币鉴定中,图案的不同,有时可以判定真假和年代,但有时只是真品的不同批次和模具版别罢了,要具体问题具体分析。有一种古塔银章其中的《开元寺塔》一枚,背面有断线,我认为这种银章也是1984年原版铸造的银章(90%银,实心银),是不同的版别。类似的情况,在中国金银币中并不少见,比如:1992年《1994年第17届冬奥会——高台滑雪》银币,就有类似的“断线版”版别银币。判断币章材质和真假,“图案的不同”并不是唯一的因素。精确重量、表面感觉等也是很重要的,要多方面综合考虑,即使两种东西看起来几乎完全一样,但有经验的鉴定家仍然可看出不同的感觉,比如会说“这个看着不舒服”、“感觉不像当年的东西”等等。因此,举例:如果一种纪念章原版是1980年铸造的,如果用相同的模具时隔十几年后在1997年重新铸造,有时也是可以感觉出表面观感差异的。正如赫拉克利特(Heraclitus)说过的:“人不能两次踏入同一条河流”(No man ever steps in the same river twice),事物都会不断变化,硬币的铸造受多方面因素制约,也不会全都完全一样。我在此列举的《中国古塔》银章版别,是比较明显和带有一定普遍性的版别,但如果继续细致入微区分的话,还有诸如“背面6点钟小塔处模压小缺陷版”(原版90%纯银)、“背面图案偏中心部位粗糙缺陷版”(后铸镀金镀银)、“背面突出的小塔表面可见明显斜纹版”(后铸镀银)、“背面线弱打”(后铸喷砂镀银)、“喷砂强弱不同”等等不同,不在逐一列举。如果选择收藏,我认为:1984年原版古塔精制铜章、1984原版银章(背图无断线)、1984原版银章(其中一枚背有断线),这三种都是很好的选择,都是珍贵的。至于其它的版本,均疑似后铸,不像原版,并不少见。
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:48:23 AM by RAREMEDAL »

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
镀银雾面镜面对比版铜章

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »
多方数据表明:1984原版银章实际重量大于22克,中国的各种金银币书籍标注“20克(90%纯银,含银18克)”是错误的;1990年中国钱币有线公司背英文双鱼版银章,在一些书籍中的数据也有错误。NGC评级古塔银章标签标注重量时,统一按图录数据,标注为”S20G“,是错误的。搞硬币鉴定、做评级,首先要对钱币精确称重并如实标注,否则会犯不少错误。一些拍卖公司,不加验证的情况下,把古塔铜章也标注为20克,也是错误的,铜章重量不到20克。

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »
以下是原版古塔银章的资料,一张1988年的古塔银章销售发票,注:发票上把纪念章,写成“币”,不合适。此资料表明:古塔银章,在时隔4年之后,在1988年底尚未销售完毕,可能是库存,出货单位是“中国造币公司上海特约经理部”,售价为:“人民币280元”,是比较贵的,当时中国大陆的国民收入并不高,这280元可能要相当于很多人2个多月的工资。上世纪八十年代初期,上海造币厂的精制铜纪念章也是很贵的,不要轻视这些早期原版的铜章、不要认为这些铜章很廉价!一套小铜章,也相当于将近半个月的工资,这些东西主要是供出口外销和在上海大的商店和造币公司的门市中销售,购买者主要是有钱人和外国游客,我收藏有一张1980年开具的上海造币厂精制小铜章的销售收据,显示售价是2枚,含盒子,共11元人民币。这非常贵(在1980年,中国大陆很多城市工人的工资每月在30元以下)。

附:中国国家统计局的统计年鉴:“1988年是我国物价上涨幅度最大、通货膨胀明显加剧的一年。”   

另附:1988年的银价:1988-12-16 美元:608.000   英镑:333.800   参考网址:http://www.lbma.org.uk/pages/?page_id=54&title=silver_fixings&show=1988&type=daily 

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:01:18 AM by RAREMEDAL »

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
下图是赝品,粗制滥造,不仅毫无雕刻感,连汉字都能写错,“登封”的“登”字,下面少两点儿。表面质感更不对头了,跟原版真品大相径庭。
注:下图搜集自网络,对原照片经过了校对颜色。

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »
镀银雾面镜面对比版铜章

Translating the embedded Chinese text in this picture:

[Label at top:] New study of Shanghai Mint Pagoda commemorative medals
[Label below medals:]  Silver plated commemorative medals  Obverse:frosting and mirrored field, quality of frosting not good, many set were examined and the raised areas appear defective or with rubbing.

[text below:]
This type of medals with correct weight using the "plate before striking" technique are restrike.  NGC had previously graded several such set and designate them with "S20G" for 20g silver medal.  They are now correctly designated as "silver plated brass".  Separately on the reverse the curved line has the "small pimple" defect, that's not minted with the original mold. [please check my translation, original text is:个別背面左边弧线上有"小疙瘩" 缺陷标志, 非原版所鋳.]

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
补充注解:“断线版套银章”是指:“全套银章中,有一枚的背面有断线”(套:指的是“全套”,并不是指“包裹”、“套上”或“镀层”的意思),这个“断线”,属于铸造模具版别的不同。在钱币鉴定中,图案的不同,有时可以判定真假和年代,但有时只是真品的不同批次和模具版别罢了,要具体问题具体分析。有一种古塔银章其中的《开元寺塔》一枚,背面有断线,我认为这种银章也是1984年原版铸造的银章(90%银,实心银),是不同的版别。类似的情况,在中国金银币中并不少见,比如:1992年《1994年第17届冬奥会——高台滑雪》银币,就有类似的“断线版”版别银币。判断币章材质和真假,“图案的不同”并不是唯一的因素。精确重量、表面感觉等也是很重要的,要多方面综合考虑,即使两种东西看起来几乎完全一样,但有经验的鉴定家仍然可看出不同的感觉,比如会说“这个看着不舒服”、“感觉不像当年的东西”等等。因此,举例:如果一种纪念章原版是1980年铸造的,如果用相同的模具时隔十几年后在1997年重新铸造,有时也是可以感觉出表面观感差异的。正如赫拉克利特(Heraclitus)说过的:“人不能两次踏入同一条河流”(No man ever steps in the same river twice),事物都会不断变化,硬币的铸造受多方面因素制约,也不会全都完全一样。我在此列举的《中国古塔》银章版别,是比较明显和带有一定普遍性的版别,但如果继续细致入微区分的话,还有诸如“背面6点钟小塔处模压小缺陷版”(原版90%纯银)、“背面图案偏中心部位粗糙缺陷版”(后铸镀金镀银)、“背面突出的小塔表面可见明显斜纹版”(后铸镀银)、“背面线弱打”(后铸喷砂镀银)、“喷砂强弱不同”等等不同,不在逐一列举。如果选择收藏,我认为:1984年原版古塔精制铜章、1984原版银章(背图无断线)、1984原版银章(其中一枚背有断线),这三种都是很好的选择,都是珍贵的。至于其它的版本,均疑似后铸,不像原版,并不少见。
I'll be away the rest of the day, but I think this is worth translating.  Apparently I did not parse the phrase correctly.  What raremedal meant to say regarding 断线版套银章 was <断线版套>银章 (broken-line variety set, silver medal), but I read it as <断线版>套银章 (broken-line variety, silver-jacketed medal).  Oops.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
以下是原版古塔银章的资料,一张1988年的古塔银章销售发票,注:发票上把纪念章,写成“币”,不合适。此资料表明:古塔银章,在时隔4年之后,在1988年底尚未销售完毕,可能是库存,出货单位是“中国造币公司上海特约经理部”,售价为:“人民币280元”,是比较贵的,当时中国大陆的国民收入并不高,这280元可能要相当于很多人2个多月的工资。上世纪八十年代初期,上海造币厂的精制铜纪念章也是很贵的,不要轻视这些早期原版的铜章、不要认为这些铜章很廉价!一套小铜章,也相当于将近半个月的工资,这些东西主要是供出口外销和在上海大的商店和造币公司的门市中销售,购买者主要是有钱人和外国游客,我收藏有一张1980年开具的上海造币厂精制小铜章的销售收据,显示售价是2枚,含盒子,共11元人民币。这非常贵(在1980年,中国大陆很多城市工人的工资每月在30元以下)。

附:中国国家统计局的统计年鉴:“1988年是我国物价上涨幅度最大、通货膨胀明显加剧的一年。”   

另附:1988年的银价:1988-12-16 美元:608.000   英镑:333.800   参考网址:http://www.lbma.org.uk/pages/?page_id=54&title=silver_fixings&show=1988&type=daily 

Terrific information and perspective! 

Thanks RareMedal!

Confucius

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
Here is a translation. It is a bit rough as this is quite technical in places
Supplementary notes:
"The set with the broken line" is indicative of a full silver set of which only one piece has said broken line." "Full Set" does not necessarily indicate "box, packaging, or plating."
This "broken line" is considered a variety resulting from the mint die state. In appraising coins, when the relief is not the same this can sometimes indicate if the coin is genuine or not or when it was produced, however sometimes it simply indicates different die states or batches of genuine pieces.
One variety of the ancient pagoda (the Kaiyuan pagoda) has a broken line on the reverse. I believe this is an actual variety of a 1984 Silver original pagoda (90% solid silver).
This type of phenomenon in Chinese gold and silver commemorative numismatics is actually quite commonplace.
For example 1992 and 1994 17th Winter Olympics Alpine Skier silver coins, also have a broken line variety.
When evaluating the quality and authenticity of a medal the design of the relief is certainly not the sole determining metric. Accurate weight and surface conditions are also very important. Even when two things appear to look almost identical in nature, one must comprehensively consider multi-faceted aspects.
For example, two experienced apreaisers may have conflicting opinions such as "this piece makes me feel uncomfortable" or "this piece doesn't look typical for the date."
Therefore as an example, a commemorative medal minted in 1980 is re-struck in 1997 using the same die, sometimes the difference in the die can still be distinguished.
Just as Heraclitus says, "no man ever steps in the same river twice," objects are incessantly changing, and multiple factors combine to affect the surface state coin dies so that none are completely the same. I cite this "Chinese Ancient Pagoda" silver medal variety as a definitive example of pervasive variation.
However, if one wishes to continue to meticulously differentiate, there is a variety where there is a small unclear spot at the 6'oclock location below the small temple on the reverse side (on the original 90% silver pagodas).
In the middle of the temple relief on the reverse side a coarse spot was on the die (on re-struck gold and silver plated pieces) an obvious 'twill patterned' spot protrudes on the relief of the small temple. On re-strikes of silver plated pieces the strike is also particularly weak. Later strikes of silver-plate are sand blasted and the sand-blasting technique is inconsistent as they were not produced one-at-a-time.
If one were looking to collect these, I would recommend the clearly struck 1984 brass medals, 1984 silver medals (without reverse broken line), 1984 original silver medals (with one piece having the broken line).
As for other editions, they are all suspect as re-strikes.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
多方数据表明:1984原版银章实际重量大于22克,中国的各种金银币书籍标注“20克(90%纯银,含银18克)”是错误的;1990年中国钱币有线公司背英文双鱼版银章,在一些书籍中的数据也有错误。NGC评级古塔银章标签标注重量时,统一按图录数据,标注为”S20G“,是错误的。搞硬币鉴定、做评级,首先要对钱币精确称重并如实标注,否则会犯不少错误。一些拍卖公司,不加验证的情况下,把古塔铜章也标注为20克,也是错误的,铜章重量不到20克。

Multiple sources of data indicate: the actual weight of the original 1984 Silver Pagoda medal exceeds 22 grams in weight. Several editions of Chinese Gold and Silver Catalogs are annotated with "20 grams" (90% pure silver with a silver content of 18 grams)
This is erroneous.
This error stems from data concerning the 1990 Chinese LLC edition of goldfish with two fish on the reverse.
When NGC appraised these pieces they completely relied on data that was published in these books. Those slabs which indicate "S20G" are in error.
When accurately appraising and grading coins it is imperative to appraise them first accurately in terms of weight and grade according to the facts else you will make several mistakes.
Several auction companies have sold ancient pagodas without testing and verification and have marked them as "20g."
This is a mistake.
It is the brass medal that weighs in at under 20g.

Offline NumiKat

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
Interesting information that Raremedal has provided, but many questions remain. The presence of a large bulge/pimple on the reverse doesn't seem to be decisive. For instance, not all of the gold-plated pagoda medals have a large pimple (see e.g., 3630019-001, 3630019-003 Songyue Temple with small/no pimple versus 3630019-002 Songyue Temple with large pimple).

Also, it's still unclear how Raremedal's brass set fits in with the others. In his picture "D", the tower 3rd from the left has a curved line extending from its bottom with two noticeable bumps/pimples. But these bumps aren't present on any of the other pagoda types, including the solid silver 1984 pagodas.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
Thank you for clarifying your previous post. 断线版套银章 is referred to “broken-line silver medal set” not “broken-line silver-encased medal”.

However, IMO, there is no unbroken-line silver set ever made. The broken-line set was the only silver set made by China Mint.

The two NGC graded unbroken-line sets (3299509-015-022) are highly questionable and IMO, they may be silver plated or counterfeit if the medal weighs more than 20 gm.

Attached first picture is copied from picture posted by Gilmore and second picture is the enlarged picture for the reverse of Gilmore’s medal. The third picture is copied from coinstat set and fourth picture is the enlarged picture of the reverse of coinstat’s medal. Both pictures of their sets can be found in here:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5564.105

The weight of Gilmore’s set is about 15.7 gm while coinstat set is about 16.1 gm. The difference in weight may be related to the thickness of silver plate. This difference in weight is in consistence with the fact that the coinstat set has a better frosted surface than Gilmore set. As shown in the pictures, these two silver plated sets were made with two different dies. The same die was used to produce all four plated medals in their respective set.

Here is the interesting part of these two NGC graded unbroken-line sets. The reverse of Songyue temple medal (3299509-015-016) is identical to Gilmore’s silver plated set, while the reverse of other three medals (3299509-017-022) are identical to coinstat set as shown in Picture 3 & 4 respectively. The weight difference between silver and silver plated set is at least 6 gm. It is unbelievable that NGC can make such mistake to grade these 8 medals without checking the weight or noticing the design differences. IMO, NGC has done a very bad job in grading pagoda set and will affect its business in the future.

It should be noted that the reverses of broken-line silver medal set are not identical to each other and were made with different dies. Clearly, there are two different silver plated sets in the market place and majority is the Gilmore version which is being graded by NGC. The coinstat set is the rare version and IMO, it is genuine and may be original.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
There still remains at least one glaring inconsistency, maybe SANDAC can help by doing his super-duper super-imposing of images to best show the issue I see:

When the photo of RareMedal's  "D" 1984 Genuine Brass medal is superimposed and compared to say, a broken-line tiny pimple / no pimple which is assumed now to be original 1984 solid silver, there is a big difference in the shape of the curved line which has the pimple.  In the Brass "D" medal the line curves much further away from the tower (under his red circle) and in the assumed silver medal it hugs the tower closer and ends much closer.

If the 1984 Brass and 1984 Solid Silver used the same dies, this would not be possible. Rare Medal: does this fit in with your understanding. Were different dies used for Brass and Silver and is this Broken Line/ small pimple medal original solid silver 1984? Or is this Broken Line/  small pimple medal but another year, maybe clad or plated? Poconopenn?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:36:57 PM by Hipanda »

Confucius

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 02:29:31 AM »
以照片来分析,其实并不是最佳的,因为即使同一枚硬币,在不同的光线下、不同的角度、不同的数码相机、不同的人……拍出的照片有时会有不同的感觉,观察不同照片的细节有时会给人带来误解。这很常见,很正常。要以实物为根本,抓住最明显、最确切的差异来分析,排除拍摄或扫描等因素的干扰。硬币,如果显微观察,也许每一枚都有很小很小或很明显的区别。机制硬币,作为工业产品,难以避免这个差异问题。中国的很多金银币章都有这类问题,有的熊猫银币,多达几十个版本,并不稀奇。如果你能准确翻译和阅读我在这个帖子中的每一个词和图片,这将会减少你的疑问。

这个帖子中的照片,除了1984年原版古塔铜章是我自己的藏品并自己拍摄的外。其它照片均是搜集自网络,都是别人的藏品和照片。
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:35:22 AM by RAREMEDAL »

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 02:31:05 AM »
类似银币,这两枚都是真币,右边的那一枚,“断线”
注:照片来自NGC,但原照片偏色严重,颜色偏黄并发虚,下图是经过校对颜色等处理过的
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:39:10 AM by RAREMEDAL »

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 02:43:23 AM »
 Excellent information RareMedal!  Many Thanks!

Confucius

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »
以照片来分析,其实并不是最佳的,因为即使同一枚硬币,在不同的光线下、不同的角度、不同的数码相机、不同的人……拍出的照片有时会有不同的感觉,观察不同照片的细节有时会给人带来误解。这很常见,很正常。要以实物为根本,抓住最明显、最确切的差异来分析,排除拍摄或扫描等因素的干扰。硬币,如果显微观察,也许每一枚都有很小很小或很明显的区别。机制硬币,作为工业产品,难以避免这个差异问题。中国的很多金银币章都有这类问题,有的熊猫银币,多达几十个版本,并不稀奇。如果你能准确翻译和阅读我在这个帖子中的每一个词和图片,这将会减少你的疑问。

这个帖子中的照片,除了1984年原版古塔铜章是我自己的藏品并自己拍摄的外。其它照片均是搜集自网络,都是别人的藏品和照片。

I understand.  Limitations of photos vs viewing in person.

Confucius

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 02:56:32 AM »
1985牛金币三种不同版别(均为NGC评级币)(注:此金币的“颐和园”的“颐”字写错了,正确的字左边不是“臣”字,金币少了一竖)
注:照片来自网络,对原照片进行过校对颜色

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 03:30:37 AM »
RareMedal- very nice!    Is there any agreement on which of these varieties of 1985 Ox are the most rare?

Confucius

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
I'm pleased to find raremedal a fellow frosting enthusiast!
I would call the first picture the "original intent".  It is very hard to find!  The one displayed by raremedal is the best example I've seen.  The small wavelet at the tip of the red arrow is barely discernable in most "original intent".  The 2nd picture has multiple sub varieties.  The fading of the wave feature is progressive.  The third picture by raremedal is not the end of progression.  The picture below is the worst case. (e.g., NGC 3429002-027).  It is not rare, 8 out of the 39 in my database.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
After studying frosting variations and fading features in MCC for the past 2 years or so, my enthusiasm for it has waned.  There are just such an abundance of them in MCC, and I don't have enough money to buy the whole spectrum of progression even in the cheap Historical Figures series.  I tend to buy the best and the worst examples nowaday.  What I did noticed along the way is the best, or "original intent", is frequently the hardest to find.  It is the one with most completed, well-defined features and generally has the best eye-appeal.  Knowing what is the "original intent" and collect them is probably what I should focus on in 2013.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Is this a final answer?  Real silver graded pagodas are genuine except for a few silver plate that passed thru NGC?...........

Offline RAREMEDAL

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
回复:SANDAC

硬币图案的不同,原因:有的是模具磨损造成,有的是压力不均造成,有的是不同模具造成,有的是压铸中途修模造成,有的是手工喷砂不同造成,有的是小模翻大模造成……。很多新中国金银币可以找到许多不同。比如《古代科技发明——指南针》几种规格材质的大小币,会发现许多细节的不同。“路漫漫其修远兮,吾将上下而求索”

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
Raremedal,
Thank you for your insights and encouragement.  I no longer buy minor variations with irrational exuberance, but I continue to study them and buy key variations when I find them.  I will post my findings here on CCF, and I will also summarize these variations with a photo collage such as below (1993 Peacock silver 10 yuan).  These photo collage are stored in CCF Gallery:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=8418