Author Topic: "The Chinese Silver Market", report from the "Silver Institute" DEC/2012  (Read 2785 times)

Offline wyldkatt

• Trade Count: (0)
Here's a report from 'the Silver Institute' on where China,
has been, is now, and will be, headed in the future concerning
China, and silver.
Plenty of history in here as well.
Will help to clear up alot of,
'whether the Chinese were allowed to buy/sell/own PM's'
questions, with some definitive answers.
http://www.silverinstitute.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ChineseSilverMarket2012.pdf

Hope it helps to inform, and educate.

~wyldkatt~

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Re: "The Chinese Silver Market", report from the "Silver Institute" DEC/2012
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »
+1 thank you for the link.
Good information there.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
Very informative.

Since most silver is used industrially and since the economy of most industrial-goods-consuming countries around the globe are down, that means spending on goods by these countries from China will be down....this can't be good for silver investors because excesses will tend to drive a commodity value southward....is this right?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
"Robust demand" and "spectacular demand" pretty much say it all.  When industrial demand for silver drops, the investment demand should pick up the slack.  Good article................

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »
"Robust demand" and "spectacular demand" pretty much say it all.  When industrial demand for silver drops, the investment demand should pick up the slack.  Good article................

How so? The investor demand would have to perform way, way, way beyond anything previously ever seen at such a time, isn't that true? How would that happen in the real world?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
The real world is producing paper money like never before.  Even Japan is now printing paper to no end. Paper money will have declining if any value.  The limited amount of precious metals will and are becoming money or wealth.  It is no secret that most world investors expect a parabolic spike in metals.  It is obvious to see where it is all headed.   Keep buying MCC............

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
The real world is producing paper money like never before.  Even Japan is now printing paper to no end. Paper money will have declining if any value.  The limited amount of precious metals will and are becoming money or wealth.  It is no secret that most world investors expect a parabolic spike in metals.  It is obvious to see where it is all headed.   Keep buying MCC............

I understand about countries printing money Pandamonium....that's what I learned in the Fall of this year and why I decided this year to invest in silver bullion (mostly because that's all that I can afford). Of course I'm not hoping that silver gets devalued as manufacturing slows it's pace and advancements in the recovery of silver and efficient mining produce more silver than ever creating an excess which prob won't be taken up in balance with silver investment....I'm just saying that the math may not really be there for the argument that silver is a long term keepsake metal. I personally hope it is, but facts should never hinge on anyone's personal hopes. Gold may be a different story as it is not used in the way silver is.

I'm a realist as much as I am a student which means I am compelled to question the "wisdom" du jour.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
Silver bullion is a very good choice.   I do not buy gold as it is too expensive.  If you can afford silver bullion, maybe you can sneek in a silver MCC?  The 1984 High Jumper OMP sold for $45 to $100+ recently.  There are many better examples of silver MCC that sell for the $100 range or about 3 oz of bullion.  My general rule of thumb for new collectors is expect to pay $100 oz for silver MCC at least.  There are some bargains on ebay.  This time of year sales are slow.  Hope you find good MCC buys along w/ buying bullion..........

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
Thank you Pandamonium, I do intend to buy some MCC's. I purchased 1 fan shaped coin in October (spent almost $300) and so with the Great Wall medal I purchased back in the 1980's as a whim (because I was fascinated by the history of the Great Wall at that time), this makes two MCC's that I currently own.

I think MCC's are a bit tricky for me because I still know too little about MCC's and so I feel that I may not make wise purchases. Remember, I'm an American who is new to coin collecting entirely...let alone MCC's. Probably few American's who were not previously into coin collecting at all jumped right into MCC's. There's a lot to learn about MCC's and I still am not familiar with the best sites to go to ascertain which MCC's to sink some money into.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 03:55:31 PM »
Like many Western coin collectors, I have purchased mostly U.S., Canada, and Australia coins over the past few months with a few misc countries as well. MCC collectors are more of an exclusive club among Westerners than Perth Mint collectors for example....I'd assume.

The point is, I'm coming along on what seems a natural path to include a lot more MCC's in my slowly expanding collection of coins. I need more knowledge and more inspiration.

Offline wyldkatt

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
There's a lot to learn about MCC's and I still am not familiar with the best sites to go to ascertain which MCC's to sink some money into.
Look no more, MML, you are currently at 'the BEST site', friend. N34

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
Look no more, MML, you are currently at 'the BEST site', friend. N34

Indeed, I think this is a very good site. Many members seem to be quite knowledgeable and even far more importantly, some members are willing to share their knowledge and insights that have taken them years to acquire with people who are new to MCC's. That is the type of attitude that inspires people to come on board.

It is those who want to keep new members in the dark (for their own personal gain or advantage) and not share the insights that can save the new members time and money that will have the effect of chasing away many new comers. It's really a simple but very important logic....after all, who wants to always be behind the ball of those who were fortunate enough to have gotten in earlier. No one really.

This is the same reason why as a comic collector, I was always willing to share my greatest insights with any and all new comers to that hobby.