Author Topic: Coin Storage and Preservation  (Read 43805 times)

Offline jleary

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Coin Storage and Preservation
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »
Chris, Thanks for the free sample. Very nice product  :thumbup:, just placed an order for some. Thanks Jack

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Here is an excellent write-up on Intercept Technology being used for protection of valuable museum collections:

The initial Intercept Technology™ customer used the material to protect wafers for electronics, the second customer was the Getty Museum and the third was a major Mint to protect incoming Silver. Intercept has long been used and regarded as an ideal material for Museum Storage and for protection of materials being archived.

When Bell Labs developed the Intercept Technology™ they ensured that the harmful additives and non-essential fillers used in plastics were not incorporated into the Intercept Technology™. Some of these are, various volatile agents, anti-block agents (silica is added to typical plastics to keep the film from sticking together - silica is abrasive and often produces plastics that can cause surface scratches), or other non-essentials or fillers. Intercept materials start with reactor grade, barefoot polymers. We react the Copper into the polymer, binding it so that it is not free to migrate. We do not add in volatile components or anti-block agents. Intercept is safe for the storage of even the most sensitive items and has tested to pass PAT and other archival tests.

Museums have used Intercept film, wraps, totes and bags for the storage of their collections that are sensitive to corrosion / degradation / pollution. Intercept film is used as backing material for framed items to keep the pollution away from the items within the frame. Additionally Intercept Active Filtration (Intercept saturated foam with a fan unit) has been used to protect museum cases, jewelry cases and small storage areas. The Intercept reacts with and permanently neutralizes the active pollutants in Museum or Jewelry cases. When Intercept is used as a wrap or bag, it reacts with these gases, cleansing the inside environment and then acts as a barrier prevent reintroduction of these gases. Museums have utilized Corrosion Intercept® films and products because they do no harm, and because the Copper color of Corrosion Intercept® (CI) changes hue as it reacts with and neutralizes pollutant gases, providing a visual assurance that the Intercept is working.
When the CI color turns dark grey or white (for exposure to Nitrous gases) then it is time to change the package.

Intercept provides protection against the three major causes of degradation to CD’s and digital data –ESD damage, Ozone and UV. The RIBS MVTR product line has also been successfully used to provide protection against mold and mildew, to react with and permanently neutralize corrosive pollutants in the environment as well as provide the moisture barrier protection of foil, in conjunction with the ability to absorb organic components due to its buried carbon layer.

Intercept has been detailed in Pollutants in the Museum Environment.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
Looks like there's a $5 off promotional code offer on these at Collectors Society.
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7663895

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2014, 06:35:35 AM »
Here is another coin that developed significant issues post grading.  It is unfortunate since it was a 70.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »
Here is the quick video showing the opening of the 1795 time capsule from Paul Revere and Sam Adams.  If you notice the Boston Museum of Fine Arts is using Corrosion Intercept to place most of the items on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51IKPh3rbQ

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
For collectors located in China, you can buy our bags directly from YJZX.  This should save on shipping costs.

http://www.yjzx.com/Shop/zhishou/pid/42381.html

For this next link, scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.yjzx.com/

thanks,
Chris

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
Don't you have any eBay link ?

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Not sure I understand your question.  Yes we do sell on eBay but it is cheaper to buy direct from our website. 

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »
Here is another coin that developed significant issues post grading.  It is unfortunate since it was a 70.

If the likely cause of this condition is the air that is trapped inside the slab, then NGC should be 100% responsible. I know that it was not submitted in that condition. Furthermore, the owner may have had this coin unslabbed for many years prior to submitting and their were no issues. If true, again, fault of NGC. Has anyone seen video of NGC flushing-out the inside of the slab with inert gas upon sealing? I think that is all part of their BS and hype.

Offline silberschatzimsee

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
I wrapped my 2016 panda trays into plastic foil like you use it for foods. Dunno if it helps preventing from spots?!?!?!

Another solution would be to vaccumseal them, a lot of german collectors do it, but for me this is overreacting, since i believe the original mint capsules are also tight.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
If the likely cause of this condition is the air that is trapped inside the slab, then NGC should be 100% responsible. I know that it was not submitted in that condition. Furthermore, the owner may have had this coin unslabbed for many years prior to submitting and their were no issues. If true, again, fault of NGC. Has anyone seen video of NGC flushing-out the inside of the slab with inert gas upon sealing? I think that is all part of their BS and hype.

Ngc blames those coins that are white spotted on the mint and now excludes those coins from warranty

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2016, 07:58:01 PM »
I wrapped my 2016 panda trays into plastic foil like you use it for foods. Dunno if it helps preventing from spots?!?!?!

Another solution would be to vaccumseal them, a lot of german collectors do it, but for me this is overreacting, since i believe the original mint capsules are also tight.

I used the large coin armour bag (that was designed for storing comics) to store my coin trays. You can fit in three coin trays in each bag. Slide in one tray at a time. I posted some photos somewhere in this forum. I will try to find the link.

Vacuum sealing can exclude water from the trays but does not prevent entry of culprit gases into the bag. The coin armour bag is reputed to prevent gas entry as well as neutralize the gases already entrapped in the bag.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »
I'm going to sound negative but o well.   If silver one ounce panda coins cost 15 plus dollars over spot per ounce raw then how many more years do they need to get this milk spotting thing cleared up.  As consumers or should I say investors, shouldn't we demand more quality before investing any more.  That is why I no longer buy the 1 ounce silver pandas.   You could drop some serious money to buy a great looking 70 and then a couple of years later you have a worthless milkey spotted mess.  And I know it's not just Pandas.  But if Pandas they lead in cost premium over spot then this needs to be corrected.  Sorry it's just frustrating that we need to drop more money on special protection to protect something that is already in a protected holder.  Are we investing in protection equipment or are we investing in coins?  I not trying to step on anyone's feelings it just frustrating wondering how long the next ms70 will stay ms70.  To me a true ms70 should not contain any spotting and I know all buyers would rather buy a spot free ms70 over a spotty ms70

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2016, 09:17:12 PM »
I stopped collecting silver pandas and focused primarily on gold and this was one of the reasons.  I had a nice collection of silver pandas but almost all of them developed spotting or milky haze after NGC grading.   I got sick of dealing with it and dumped all of them and put the money into gold pandas.  I can't say with certainty that it was NGC's doing, but I can say that none of the silver pandas that I kept in OMP developed spots - the only ones that developed milk spotting were the ones that NGC graded.   I still have a couple dozen silver pandas in OMP and none of them have spotting.  Paul4444 is correct in that pandas aren't the only coins susceptible to milk spotting - I've seen many Perth mint coins develop it too, and I recall other collectors talking about silver US eagles with this problem.   I still buy and hold silver, but only as a low-premium bullion holding.   I've had this conversation with other forum members - I don't mind copper spotting one bit, but if I'm going to have to accept milk spots then I won't consider silver coins as anything more than bullion.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com