Author Topic: Coin Storage and Preservation  (Read 39846 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Coin Storage and Preservation
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
I wanted to take a minute and comment on a recent post I saw on another coin chat board.  The post discussed a method of storing coins, whereby, coin slabs are placed inside individual poly bags, and then multiple coins in individual poly bags are placed inside a larger poly bag, to which an oxygen (O2) absorber is placed.  I am guessing the concept is to remove oxygen from the environment surrounding the coin, which will prevent oxidation (or toning). 

This may sound intuitive, given the term "oxidation", unfortunately, the process of oxidation does not require oxygen. In fact, "oxidation" is a process whereby a compound undergoes a reaction that removes an electron.  O2 is very stable and has limited impact on the corrosion of coins.  Keep in mind, that air is only about 20% O2, 78% nitrogen, and 2% of other stuff.

The primary causes of corrosion are the reaction of metals within the coin with Sulfur and Chlorine. In fact, Sulfur reacts so quickly, that other gases don't stand a chance.

In short, O2 absorbers remove only oxygen.  By placing coin slabs in multiple layers of bags only traps harmful gases in many places.  Intercept removes all harmful gases including Sulfur and Chlorine and creates a microenvironment.

I urge everyone to take the time and learn about proper storage and preservation.  I know many of you have spent significant time researching coins, and if only a fraction of that time is spent researching storage, your investment will be properly protected.

thanks,
Chris

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »
Hi Chris,

I have a question about the products you are selling. The storage bags are "Corrosion Intercept" bags, not "Intercept Shield" products, right? Can you explain the pros and cons of each type?

Thanks,

Frank

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »
Hi Chris,

I have a question about the products you are selling. The storage bags are "Corrosion Intercept" bags, not "Intercept Shield" products, right? Can you explain the pros and cons of each type?

Thanks,

Frank
+1

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 08:14:12 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Intercept Shield is/was the name of a company that produced products using "Intercept Technology".  My understanding is that Intercept Shield no longer produces nor sells Intercept Technology products, I believe as of late last year.  You can only find their products, which consist mostly of boxes, etc. in the aftermarket.

Corrosion Intercept is a product within the family of "Intercept Technology".  Corrosion Intercept is translucent polyethylene material that is used in light industrial, museum, archive, and retail applications.  It meets Cleanroom 100 standards, and is approved for use by NASA.

Hope this helps.

thanks,
Chris

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
As a follow-up i want to point out that "Intercept Technology" works best when it is as close as possible to the metal it is protecting.  Also it is helpful to minimize air flow.  Coin Armour bags are made using 50 percent clear polyethylene and 50 percent Corrosion Intercept, and utilize a zipper seal to restrict future airflow.  The front side of the bag is clear to easily identify the coin.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »
Hi Frank,

Intercept Shield is/was the name of a company that produced products using "Intercept Technology".  My understanding is that Intercept Shield no longer produces nor sells Intercept Technology products, I believe as of late last year.  You can only find their products, which consist mostly of boxes, etc. in the aftermarket.

Corrosion Intercept is a product within the family of "Intercept Technology".  Corrosion Intercept is translucent polyethylene material that is used in light industrial, museum, archive, and retail applications.  It meets Cleanroom 100 standards, and is approved for use by NASA.

Hope this helps.

thanks,
Chris
Thanks, Chris. But Weimar White says in his book, for example on page 35, that "the Corrosion Intercept bags mentioned in this article are no longer available and have been replaced by Intercept Shield products". Intercept Shield products are available from dealers listed on their website at: http://www.interceptshield.com/. He seems to favor the Intercept Shield products over the 50/50 Corrosion Intercept bags.

Any comments?

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
Thanks, Chris. But Weimar White says in his book, for example on page 35, that "the Corrosion Intercept bags mentioned in this article are no longer available and have been replaced by Intercept Shield products". Intercept Shield products are available from dealers listed on their website at: http://www.interceptshield.com/. He seems to favor the Intercept Shield products over the 50/50 Corrosion Intercept bags.

Any comments?

Hi Frank,

The article on page 35 was written in June 2000, and alot has changed since then.  If you notice, most dealers are out of stock on almost all "Intercept Shield" products.  Pls feel free to contact Intercept Shield.

thanks,
Chris

Offline fractalfate

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
How does good old H2O figure into the chemical equations that describe coin corroison? Does "Intercept Technology" address moisture?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »

Any comments?

It is my understanding that both "Corrosion Intercept" and "Intercept Shield" are trademark. They use the same technology developed by Du Pont.   

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »
How does good old H2O figure into the chemical equations that describe coin corroison? Does "Intercept Technology" address moisture?

Hi,

This is explained on our website: http://www.coinarmour.com/About_Intercept.html

Metals corrode primarily from corrosive gases and not moisture.  Additionally our bags store one slab with a zipper seal.  However, good storage practice should include dessicants for any collectible.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
Intercept was developed by Bell Labs over 20 years ago. 

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »
Intercept was developed by Bell Labs over 20 years ago.  

Sorry, my mistake. The technolgy was developed by Lucent (Bell Labs) and film was made by Du Pont originally. Since patten has expired, it may produce by other company niow.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:17:01 PM by poconopenn »

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I started a new business focusing on storage products for coins and other collectibles.  The products utilize Intercept Technology, which some of you may be familiar with.  While I only have a couple of products to offer at the moment, I hope to add more in the future.  I hope you find the information useful and the products beneficial for the long-term storage of your coins. The business and products were developed out of my own need for storage and protection.  This is an area which I have great interest in, and a passion for the proper storage and protection of valuable collectibles.

The website is:

www.coinarmour.com

If you have any questions, you can email me at:

info@coinarmour.com

thanks.

Chris
I placed my order today. Thanks!

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »
I placed my order today. Thanks!

Got it,  thanks!!!  The order will be sent out tomorrow.

Offline Yandy1990

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:38 AM »
Just put in my order too.

Andy