Author Topic: Coin Storage and Preservation  (Read 39909 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Coin Storage and Preservation
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »
 Sorry it's just frustrating that we need to drop more money on special protection to protect something that is already in a protected holder.  Are we investing in protection equipment or are we investing in coins?  

I understand your frustration but there is a significant difference btw white spots and corrosion.  White spots are the results of residue left on a coins surface during the minting process.  Exposure to air reveals these spots.  Corrosion is the result of atmospheric gases ,that exist everywhere, that react with the coins surface.  Silver is a very reactive metal and can be subject to significant corrosion if not properly protected.  Also NGC never claims to protect a coin from atmospheric corrosion.  They are a grading company.  Finally protection from corrosion is a minor cost in comparison to the cost of the coin.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
I understand your frustration but there is a significant difference btw white spots and corrosion.  White spots are the results of residue left on a coins surface during the minting process.  Exposure to air reveals these spots.  Corrosion is the result of atmospheric gases ,that exist everywhere, that react with the coins surface.  Silver is a very reactive metal and can be subject to significant corrosion if not properly protected.  Also NGC never claims to protect a coin from atmospheric corrosion.  They are a grading company.  Finally protection from corrosion is a minor cost in comparison to the cost of the coin.

So intercept technology does not prevent/control white spots? I didn't realize that. My bad ;)
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »
+1  N31 Wise advice for those who are investors or worried about losing value in their collection.
As a collector of silver Chinese culture and art pieces I have had to come to terms with these potential losses and buy accordingly.

I stopped collecting silver pandas and focused primarily on gold and this was one of the reasons.  I had a nice collection of silver pandas but almost all of them developed spotting or milky haze after NGC grading.   I got sick of dealing with it and dumped all of them and put the money into gold pandas.  I can't say with certainty that it was NGC's doing, but I can say that none of the silver pandas that I kept in OMP developed spots - the only ones that developed milk spotting were the ones that NGC graded.   I still have a couple dozen silver pandas in OMP and none of them have spotting.  Paul4444 is correct in that pandas aren't the only coins susceptible to milk spotting - I've seen many Perth mint coins develop it too, and I recall other collectors talking about silver US eagles with this problem.   I still buy and hold silver, but only as a low-premium bullion holding.   I've had this conversation with other forum members - I don't mind copper spotting one bit, but if I'm going to have to accept milk spots then I won't consider silver coins as anything more than bullion.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »
NBM, have you not been using intercept technology to store you material? I hope I would have advised you to do so, but cannot remember. We've been at this for a long time . . .

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2016, 09:21:39 PM »
I use the intercept bags.  They are a great product.  I just wish the mints would add another medal to the 1 ounce of silver to reduce this chemical reaction.  If I owned a mint I would want the best product leaving my building. Quality control.  I thought at this point the mints would have addressed this issue.  I love the panda 1989 design but I want the 2016 quality. 

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
Not sure I understand your question.  Yes we do sell on eBay but it is cheaper to buy direct from our website. 

It doesn't matter.
Feel free to let me know your eBay link.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2016, 04:28:14 AM »
Thanks.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
Direct from NGC's website:

White “milk” spots on modern silver coins

This form of corrosion is caused by the mint’s manufacturing process and can develop anytime, from right after striking to many years later. NCS cannot remove these unpredictable spots, but rest assured that none of NCS’s techniques cause them, either.

White “milk” spots can negatively impact a coin’s grade at NGC, but NGC cannot be liable for spots that occur after encapsulation. The NGC Guarantee specifically excludes coins “exhibiting environmental deterioration subsequent to certification. These issues include but are not limited to spotting, hazing, PVC and corrosion.”

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
I use the intercept bags.  They are a great product.  I just wish the mints would add another medal to the 1 ounce of silver to reduce this chemical reaction.  If I owned a mint I would want the best product leaving my building. Quality control.  I thought at this point the mints would have addressed this issue.  I love the panda 1989 design but I want the 2016 quality 

Seems like the 2016 Silver Panda coin is not immune from the white spot problem. Attached is the photo of a 30g coin I saw on eBay recently.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
This is equally troublesome for coins:

WHO names China as country with most deaths caused by outdoor air pollution:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/who-names-china-as-country-with-most-deaths-caused-by-outdoor-air-pollution-2016-09-27

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »
NBM, have you not been using intercept technology to store you material? I hope I would have advised you to do so, but cannot remember. We've been at this for a long time . . .
Of course I take precautions, I'm not sure what gave you that impression.
My comment was actually about our conversations and your decision several years back to move to gold away from silver. At that time I had some choices to make. Collecting gold historical & cultural issues is for the most part a little beyond what I want to spend whereas the silver pieces are pretty obtainable... BUT one must take precautions to preserve with the understanding that all may be for nought if WSOD come knocking.
Better?