Author Topic: TUTORIAL: How to avoid being a bad SELLER  (Read 11399 times)

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
TUTORIAL: How to avoid being a bad SELLER
« on: December 15, 2012, 02:56:36 AM »
1: Certification numbers MATTER
As a buyer, collector, and infrequent seller of certified coins I can tell you that the certification number is what matters in certified coin transactions. As a seller; when you provide a prospective buyer with a certification number, then the buyer is buying THAT coin. Not a coin similar to the coin, not a coin with a preconceived variety that may or may not be like the coin with the certification number but the buyer is buying a very specific coin that is viewable on a Registered coin Database. The buyer can see the official photos from the grading company and compare them with any information the seller provides to determine if the coin has any flaws, features, or special characteristics which make it worth purchasing. This metric applies to ALL Certified coins from the most inexpensive to the most expensive.

2: Failing to deliver coins is BAD for the market
Holding back coins and making partial shipments is a horrible practice. The bottom line is that sellers don’t know what impact a single seemingly insignificant coin may have to another collector or especially a dealer. Perhaps the $200 coin failed to deliver upon is the last piece of a $200,000 deal that the dealer needs to close on to deliver a lot of coins to a client. Thus, what the potential seller sees as a $200 error may cause exponentially greater financial problems for the other party.

3: Learn from your MISTAKES
If a seller cannot afford to make $500 mistakes that result from sending the wrong certification numbers then said seller should double-check details before sending certification numbers. It is the seller’s responsibility to protect inventory, ensure accuracy, and deliver coins as agreed upon.. It doesn’t matter if the seller chooses a wife, daughter, or crazy uncle Earl to send certification numbers and verification information, if this person is acting as a trusted agent for the seller then the deal should stand. If the seller cannot afford for a trusted agent to make a mistake then the seller should take the time to send the information personally.
Sometimes mistakes happen and this is when it is time to own up to the mistake and do the right thing and not the most profitable thing. By doing the right thing sellers can establish fantastic reputations. Sellers who don’t own up to mistakes don’t have a chance to learn from them are hence are more apt to make future mistakes. I typically avoid dealing with these types of people.

N40

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: TUTORIAL: How to avoid being a bad SELLER
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »
Well said.

One point I like to add is to put some efforts into communication.  In this e-commerce age, we are what we write.  Buyers can easily be turned off by flippant comments regardless of how good a merchandise may look.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:06:49 PM by SANDAC »

joeman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
 :lol:just to present the flip side of the coin, everything you said has a fair degree of accuracy, but take one to thing into account ,mistakes are made ,intent is everything in a transaction, honesty by both BUYER and seller are paramount ,and since you readily admit being a infrequent seller , I might offer you some tutoring, As a seller you do not amass literally 100,s of 100% positive feedbacks and hundreds of delighted buyers in a difficult,stringent selling environment like e bay,without going above and beyond for your customer,s and 1000,s of transactions outside of e bay with the huge amount of delighted buyer ,But when a buyer clearly buys something at a price and then believes he can scam something else for the same price that is simply wrong and we revert right back to rule #1  honesty by both BUYER and seller are paramount

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
As a buyer, collector, and infrequent seller of certified coins I can tell you that the certification number is what matters in certified coin transactions. As a seller; when you provide a prospective buyer with a certification number, then the buyer is buying THAT coin. Not a coin similar to the coin, not a coin with a preconceived variety that may or may not be like the coin with the certification number but the buyer is buying a very specific coin that is viewable on a Registered coin Database. The buyer can see the official photos from the grading company and compare them with any information the seller provides to determine if the coin has any flaws, features, or special characteristics which make it worth purchasing. This metric applies to ALL Certified coins from the most inexpensive to the most expensive.

Holding back coins and making partial shipments is a horrible practice. The bottom line is that sellers don’t know what impact a single seemingly insignificant coin may have to another collector or especially a dealer. Perhaps the $200 coin failed to deliver upon is the last piece of a $200,000 deal that the dealer needs to close on to deliver a lot of coins to a client. Thus, what the potential seller sees as a $200 error may cause exponentially greater financial problems for the other party.

If a seller cannot afford to make $500 mistakes that result from sending the wrong certification numbers then said seller should double-check details before sending certification numbers. It is the seller’s responsibility to protect inventory, ensure accuracy, and deliver coins as agreed upon.. It doesn’t matter if the seller chooses a wife, daughter, or crazy uncle Earl to send certification numbers and verification information, if this person is acting as a trusted agent for the seller then the deal should stand. If the seller cannot afford for a trusted agent to make a mistake then the seller should take the time to send the information personally.
Sometimes mistakes happen and this is when it is time to own up to the mistake and do the right thing and not the most profitable thing. By doing the right thing sellers can establish fantastic reputations. Sellers who don’t own up to mistakes don’t have a chance to learn from them are hence are more apt to make future mistakes. I typically avoid dealing with these types of people.

N40

Good insights, on several specifics, PH.

That general rule to "treat people the way you'd like to be treated" also applies.

Sometimes mistakes happen and this is when it is time to own up to the mistake and do the right thing and not the most profitable thing.

Doing the right thing might also end up being the most profitable thing...in the long run.

I'm scared to add up how much I've ended up spending with some sellers  :scared: , because I keep writing them check after check after check.  When the service and selection are good, a buyer keeps coming back for more.  And they recommend that seller to other buyers...

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »

N40

PH:

Well stated. Apparently, "someone" is not heeding your advice, though.   :(

Offline yennus

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Panda Exchange
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
Yep, that golden rule is... golden :)

"treat people the way you'd like to be treated."

Offline akdreamer

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:14:52 AM »
Thaqnks for the posting... I am thinking of selling the coins I have posted on here for sale on this site... can you offer me any suggestions on selling on this site?

Offline BobW

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »
A good seller includes an invoice with his shipment. The invoice should include a line by line entry for each item. Each item should be described and the price paid. The seller should include his name and address. Please also include the buyer's and address.

It takes little effort to create a professional looking invoice and is a ready reference should the buyer choose to buy more items from you.

A copy of an eBay generated invoice meets the minimum requirement.

Offline pandalover

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:50:54 AM »
This post should pin to top and every seller on here should read this before listing their items.

A forum member just send me a coin with cert no different from the one talked during the conversation.
It is sad that seller do not ask for my consent and make decision on his own.

Offline Silver bullion boy

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
Very well put, business is a serious matter and should be treated that way!

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Each sale is a negotiation.
The FULL terms of the sale need to be understood and agreed by both buyer and seller,
especially the description. Returns policy should not be overlooked.
No one sided, hidden changes to the deal are allowable, especially once shipping happens.
If buyer or seller insists on a change in terms, the other must agree or there is no deal.
Transparency of the terms of the deal is very important for trust and expectations.
Everything in writing is best.

Quality of shipping matters also. Seller should provide tracking information and secure
packaging with minimal movement of coins/capsules or slabs inside of shipping box.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the above posted information on important aspects of coin sales.

I plan to start selling some of my extra coins and medals on eBay. This is an attempt to make my Collection “self-fund” additional coin purchases!

I respectfully solicit advice from forum members on how to avoid problems with eBay sales.

I want to make sure I don’t cause any problems with the transactions and buyers. At the same time I wish to avoid problem buyers/sales.

Finally, I would like to know, before committing myself to this project, what eBay fees and fee structure look like. Do you pay eBay to host your merchandise whether or not it sells? Are there annual fees and other hidden charges I should be aware of? From my experience with setting up other businesses I want to avoid getting scalped.

I do not have any experience of selling on eBay so I truly will appreciate your words of wisdom and advice.

Thanks and Best wishes.

KOT!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »
If you are going to sell some medals on ebay, get a monthly subscription to an ebay store to drop your percentage from 10% to 6%. You will have to sell $400 /mo to break even and anything over 400 is money in the bank.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 12:09:58 AM »
If you are going to sell some medals on ebay, get a monthly subscription to an ebay store to drop your percentage from 10% to 6%. You will have to sell $400 /mo to break even and anything over 400 is money in the bank.

Thanks for that important piece of information. +1  N40

I'll have to take that into consideration when signing up. However, this means that I have to maintain an inventory month to month although another option could be to close the store when I don't have inventory, to avoid charges when nothing is being sold. I don't know how that works but I'll learn!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:07 AM »
You can do it on a month to month basis. So your best bet is to get it all ready to go right away.