Author Topic: Badges and Karma  (Read 30729 times)

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
Re: Badges and Karma
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:12 PM »
I visit silverstackers.com from time to time, and thought their site is difficult to navigate. However, there's one feature which can lend ideas to the improvement of "karma system" (if snowball decides to keep it).

http://forums.silverstackers.com/

Notice under each user, there's a "trade counter" with "+" and "-" ..... other members can leave their comments with regards to their "buy/sell/trade" experience. "Karma" can take a page from that playbook.  jmho

d, the trading system has been in my mind for years.  There is a good trading mod written for smf forum: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=346
However, I just could not make my decision.  I always think the main purpose of this forum should be knowledge sharing and not trading.  That is why when the trading forum growing too fast, I have tried to slow it down by adding limitation to sellers.
Perhaps we can start a voting poll, let our members make the decision for me.  majority rules.

best,

snowball

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »

d, the trading system has been in my mind for years.  There is a good trading mod written for smf forum: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=346
However, I just could not make my decision.  I always think the main purpose of this forum should be knowledge sharing and not trading.  That is why when the trading forum growing too fast, I have tried to slow it down by adding limitation to sellers.
Perhaps we can start a voting poll, let our members make the decision for me.  majority rules.

best,

snowball

Some members here, such as fwang, hardly participate in trading but contribute a great deal to the success of this forum. A concept similar to the trade counter can be employed to give merit for their contribution by simply adding "karma" to trades .....   My point is, silverstackers trade counter specifies, "who from", "date", "comments" - so there's some accountability. If a comment is not warranted, it can always be modified by the Moderators.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:27:21 PM by dynamike51 »

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »
d, I got your point.  Let me think about it.   
Thanks again for your suggestion.   :thumbup1:
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »
Perhaps, the requirement of 5 posts prior to post “sell, buy and trade” in this forum by member needs to be changed to a higher number. New member ought to make some contribution to the forum prior to gain the right to trade in this forum.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
Some members here, such as fwang, hardly participate in trading but contribute a great deal to the success of this forum. A concept similar to the trade counter can be employed to give merit for their contribution by simply adding "karma" to trades .....   My point is, silverstackers trade counter specifies, "who from", "date", "comments" - so there's some accountability. If a comment is not warranted, it can always be modified by the Moderators.

Ooops ..... how did I forget to mention poconopenn, who has contributed a great deal to the success of this forum.   :blush:

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »
Ooops ..... how did I forget to mention poconopenn, who has contributed a great deal to the success of this forum.   :blush:

I bet poconopenn is not interested with trading system.   :001_tongue:

The new seller requirement has been changed from 5 posts to 25 posts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:52:35 PM by snowball »
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
Would the members here at CCF and you, Snowball, agree to running a poll about whether a member who gives or takes away a 'karma' point from another member must make that decision public? When members start losing karma points for publicly stating an opinion, the system becomes representative of personal grudges rather than benefit/drawback of posts made.

Or, maybe we could make a thread wherein members could choose to leave feedback for members for whom they've given karma or docked?

I will have no problem with publicly disclosing every time I give or take away a karma point from another member because I will not abuse the option. Would other members like to see this as well?

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:38 PM »
I don't think anyone needs to be overly concerned about the karma system.  It is mostly fluff.  The only real benefit is a person that is constantly trolling or behaving in some other inappropriate manner will likely have negative karma.  The people that post a lot or have been on the forum a long time will likely have higher than average karma.  Everybody else will be in the middle.  The only real advantage I see is that someone with negative and likely multiple negative karma could be avoided and eventually even be a candidate for being suspended or banned from the forum.

In short, I wouldn't be too concerned if your karma is 2 or 10+.  Only if its -10  N26

Now the trade count system to be much more useful and reliable when it comes to buying and selling.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:15 AM »
Would the members here at CCF and you, Snowball, agree to running a poll about whether a member who gives or takes away a 'karma' point from another member must make that decision public? When members start losing karma points for publicly stating an opinion, the system becomes representative of personal grudges rather than benefit/drawback of posts made.

Or, maybe we could make a thread wherein members could choose to leave feedback for members for whom they've given karma or docked?

I will have no problem with publicly disclosing every time I give or take away a karma point from another member because I will not abuse the option. Would other members like to see this as well?
+1 In the interest of openness and full disclosure and for all the reasons stated.
It's not as if intrigue, lack of disclosure & cliques haven't been an issue in the past.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
I don't think anyone needs to be overly concerned about the karma system.  It is mostly fluff.  The only real benefit is a person that is constantly trolling or behaving in some other inappropriate manner will likely have negative karma.  The people that post a lot or have been on the forum a long time will likely have higher than average karma.  Everybody else will be in the middle.  The only real advantage I see is that someone with negative and likely multiple negative karma could be avoided and eventually even be a candidate for being suspended or banned from the forum.

In short, I wouldn't be too concerned if your karma is 2 or 10+.  Only if its -10  N26

Now the trade count system to be much more useful and reliable when it comes to buying and selling.

N31

A slight change has been made to the Karma settings today.  From now on,  a member must have at least 50 posts to rate Karma.
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline BronzeEmu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »

I agree & I'm on the same page in regard to topic. Some form of accountability would self police this very well or at least, leave a paper trail to abuse.

Online Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
+1 to you BronzeEmu for your opinion even though I disagree with you.
 N3

Offline oober

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
I agree with some of the comments above, but one point that should be added. With this karma system, you may find some people will not post opinions based on the fear of negative karma. Especially if they are one who will do some trading.

The last thing anyone would want is the perception of being a (blank) just because some opinions may not be welcomed by others.

Offline BronzeEmu

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »
+1 to you BronzeEmu for your opinion even though I disagree with you.
 N3

Which in particular do you disagree PH?
Many thanks for your +1, I have very good karma in life!

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »
I don't have the option to give karma anymore
Was there some change that I missed