Author Topic: 1985 1oz ANA silver medal (Coin World Article, 1985)  (Read 20672 times)

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1985 1oz ANA silver medal (Coin World Article, 1985)
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
The "die polishing lines" bonke mentioned are also known as striation lines.  It is results of careless die polishing by the mint.  It is not mishandling after minting so you can still get 69 grade with striation lines.  They are hard to see, you need to tilt and rotate the coin and examine with magnifier glasses to see them.  Here are discussions about striation lines:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6403.0

A few pictures I took of my coins with striation lines:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6403.msg38968#msg38968
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4218.msg23128#msg23128

A discussion of magnifiers for coins:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=878.0

Dang, that is clear as day, and one doesn't need a magnifying glass to see those lines.  Heck there is one of the 1985 Great Wall on one of the links you provided.  Thank you!!  Geesh.  Always something to look out for.  I'll be bald by the time I finished. LOL.  Thanks for the info SANDAC.  Very, very helpful.  The magnifier info is a bit overwhelming.  So many choices.  I may have to go a coin store and just see what works best for me.  Thanks again everyone.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 11:44:58 PM »
barsenault,

Here is the enlarged picture of your coin. The contrast of the picture was adjusted to give a better details. IMO. your coin does not has die polishing lines.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 05:39:23 AM »
by the way, as I'm looking, I see some that are 10, 15, and 20X's, I'm assuming those are overkill?

As a hand held inexpensive one it is the best one i have found 5x is plenty if you use a 20x to buy coins you will never buy any:)lol

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 05:41:34 AM »
btw this magnifier I use for spotting imperfections and white spot which it does very well

barsenault

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 06:31:55 AM »
barsenault,

Here is the enlarged picture of your coin. The contrast of the picture was adjusted to give a better details. IMO. your coin does not has die polishing lines.

whew, good to know, and hopefully the picture really does represent the one I actually receive.  I'll find out today!! ;-)  I'll keep everyone posted.  Thanks again for all the input and info

barsenault

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 06:32:43 AM »
As a hand held inexpensive one it is the best one i have found 5x is plenty if you use a 20x to buy coins you will never buy any:)lol

LOL.  Okay, that is good advice. I'll get this one.  Thanks JC

barsenault

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »
Okay, so I got the medal.  Looks good from the 'naked eye' is concerned, but can't really tell with the plastic wrap around it, BUT it does have a slice in the plastic, I wonder if I should cut it off and look at the coin thru the case it came in?  I need to go find a magnifying glass at walmart (temporary one).  Can I see the lines with the eyes.  the images that someone posted above, looked like it was by eye sight?  thanks.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »
Okay, so I got the medal.  Looks good from the 'naked eye' is concerned, but can't really tell with the plastic wrap around it, BUT it does have a slice in the plastic, I wonder if I should cut it off and look at the coin thru the case it came in?  I need to go find a magnifying glass at walmart (temporary one).  Can I see the lines with the eyes.  the images that someone posted above, looked like it was by eye sight?  thanks.
I would not fool with the OMP in anyway as it very well might void your ability to return the coin ..... part of the coins value is what is perceived being in OMP . striation lines are normally pretty visible in the light ,you reall should have no problem seeing them  , if you dont like the coin send it to me Ill pay pal gift you and get you out of it LOL 

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
I agree.  Do not disturb the packaging.  Most sellers require the coin or medal to be in the same condition / holder upon return.  Several years ago, I took a coin out of a holder so that I could see it better.  Immediately, I could see a significant problem.  I called the seller and asked to return the item.  He agreed as long as it was in the original condition/holder.  Of course, it was not and he did not take it back.  Ouch!  A lesson learned.  An expensive lesson.

Mark Bonke

barsenault

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »
JC, Mark, thanks for the input.  I didn't open it, but quite frankly, this medal looks good, BUT maybe they all do, when looking via the eyes. LOL.  Here is a YouTube link for the medal: http://youtu.be/M_MOa0ahn7Q 

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
Like I said if you don't want it let me know I'll PayPal you what you pay for it and you can get out of it LOL

barsenault

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
LOL.  You're funny JC!! 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
The real question here, besides all of the ones barsenault is bringing to the table, is . . .

barsenault, what are you doing dropping $2k plus on a coin that you know little about? I am very worried for your future in MCC collecting.

IMO, you should not depend on the kindness of the forum members here to point out your mistakes, or to "watch your back." This is the kind of knowledge that you should be looking to achieve BEFORE you make a major purchase so that you can be confident your purchase was a wise one. As you mentioned in an earlier post, you cannot afford to make a $2000 dollar purchase mistake. Therefore, you should know what you're buying before you buy.

barsenault

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
The real question here, besides all of the ones barsenault is bringing to the table, is . . .

barsenault, what are you doing dropping $2k plus on a coin that you know little about? I am very worried for your future in MCC collecting.

IMO, you should not depend on the kindness of the forum members here to point out your mistakes, or to "watch your back." This is the kind of knowledge that you should be looking to achieve BEFORE you make a major purchase so that you can be confident your purchase was a wise one. As you mentioned in an earlier post, you cannot afford to make a $2000 dollar purchase mistake. Therefore, you should know what you're buying before you buy.

Great council, and thanks for the words of wisdom.  But keep in mind, I do have one other Great Wall medal.  But it is graded, so I didn't have too many worries, and it came from a dealer I trust, because I know him (clark smith).  This one I ordered was raw, and so I didn't have familiarity with a 'raw' purchase, hence the reasons for my many questions on what to be on the look out for.  I know Bonke and JC from other forums, so I do have a lot of trust in their guidance.  So, all this to say, thanks for your words of encouragement to stay sharp. 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »
I've read every word of this thread, so I am aware this is your 2nd medal. I am also aware that Bonke, Pocono, and jc888 know their shiznit. You are lucky to be receiving advice from such excellent forum members. You should not, however, count on this advice to help you steer clear of problems. Like I said, I worry about one who dives head first into buying that which is not fully understood. 

Research first, then buy.